Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

SONY APSC Rumors May 2022?

FowlersFreeTime

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I'm hearing some rumors about 3 new SONY APSC lenses being announced soon? 10-20mm, 11mm, 15mm? Anyone seen those rumors?
It just seems odd to me that Sony would <finally> give us some fresh new wide lenses, which would benefit the vlogger crowd they had hoped to attract, after 6+ months of not manufacturing any new APSC cameras. At this point, if they really wanted to reassure the APSC market, they would start manufacturing the ZVE10 again and consolidate the a6xxx lineup into one A6600 successor. But that's just my take on it.

Thoughts?

I'm hearing some rumors about 3 new SONY APSC lenses being announced soon? 10-20mm, 11mm, 15mm? Anyone seen those rumors?
It just seems odd to me that Sony would <finally> give us some fresh new wide lenses, which would benefit the vlogger crowd they had hoped to attract, after 6+ months of not manufacturing any new APSC cameras. At this point, if they really wanted to reassure the APSC market, they would start manufacturing the ZVE10 again and consolidate the a6xxx lineup into one A6600 successor. But that's just my take on it.

Thoughts?
I think until they have enough chips, any camera that isn't a top seller/top profit maker is going to be sacrificed for the greater good.

Thoughts?
I'm guessing a new APS-C camera will follow later this year providing they can get on top of their chip supply issues. With Canon rumoured to be announcing two new APS-C cameras next week along with lenses I'd imagine that Sony don't want to be left too far behind.

If Sony were smart, and that seems to be a subject of debate, they'd take an APS-C sensor and stick it in the A7-IV body with most of the same features and drop the price accordingly. I'd be far more likely to look at one of those than the rangefinder style. They can price to compete with Fuji no problem.

A67-IV

I think until they have enough chips, any camera that isn't a top seller/top profit maker is going to be sacrificed for the greater good.
I believe that as well, and believe me I tried to consider business practices rather than emotion, but I just cannot believe the money they WASTED on marketing hype for the ZVE-10, only to stop making them and allow their market share to erode. Can you believe people are selling this camera on ebay for $500 over retail price? The demand is there whether or not its their most profitable camera.
If Sony were smart, and that seems to be a subject of debate, they'd take an APS-C sensor and stick it in the A7-IV body with most of the same features and drop the price accordingly. I'd be far more likely to look at one of those than the rangefinder style. They can price to compete with Fuji no problem.

A67-IV
Isn't this basically the idea behind the Canon R7? I like this idea, and I'd pre-order that. Putting an APSC sensor in a slightly larger body would allow for some things I don't have currently: IBIS, dual card slots, and a larger battery. The possibility of being able to use my existing glass = win.

I'm guessing a new APS-C camera will follow later this year providing they can get on top of their chip supply issues. With Canon rumoured to be announcing two new APS-C cameras next week along with lenses I'd imagine that Sony don't want to be left too far behind.
While I want to believe that is true, somebody on one of the facebook groups I'm in said that it is more plausible that the lens division and camera division are separate and that these new lenses might have been planned to be released the year after the ZVE10 (regardless of camera supply delays) and aimed at ZVE10 users. This makes a fair amount of sense as a new supply of lenses, after a camera has had time to gain market share, seems logical.

Sony
I believe that as well, and believe me I tried to consider business practices rather than emotion, but I just cannot believe the money they WASTED on marketing hype for the ZVE-10, only to stop making them and allow their market share to erode. Can you believe people are selling this camera on ebay for $500 over retail price? The demand is there whether or not its their most profitable camera.

Isn't this basically the idea behind the Canon R7? I like this idea, and I'd pre-order that. Putting an APSC sensor in a slightly larger body would allow for some things I don't have currently: IBIS, dual card slots, and a larger battery. The possibility of being able to use my existing glass = win.
Everyone does it. Canon, Nikon, Sony. In Nikon, instead of a FF Z5 (for example) you buy a Z50 APS-C, with a full-size body. Sony seems to have abandoned the idea when they dropped the A-Mount. The A77 was APS-C, as were most of them before that. The A700 and SLT-A65 I had were both APS-C cameras.

I am of the opinion (and you know what that's worth!) Sony switched over to the rangefinder style in order to compete one-on-one with Fuji, who seems to be the king of APS-C. Canon and Nikon offer DSLR APS-C at an entry level price point to their line, mirrorless are a bit more, which is where the ZVE10 is aimed. I think as the market continues to shrink the demand for entry level cameras will decrease exponentially, most people favoring a cellphone over carrying an ILC.

If Sony had a good pro-style 24-28MP APS-C body in their lineup I would've probably gone that way for my backup as opposed to the used A7R-III.

Sony

Everyone does it. Canon, Nikon, Sony. In Nikon, instead of a FF Z5 (for example) you buy a Z50 APS-C, with a full-size body. Sony seems to have abandoned the idea when they dropped the A-Mount. The A77 was APS-C, as were most of them before that. The A700 and SLT-A65 I had were both APS-C cameras.

I am of the opinion (and you know what that's worth!) Sony switched over to the rangefinder style in order to compete one-on-one with Fuji, who seems to be the king of APS-C. Canon and Nikon offer DSLR APS-C at an entry level price point to their line, mirrorless are a bit more, which is where the ZVE10 is aimed. I think as the market continues to shrink the demand for entry level cameras will decrease exponentially, most people favoring a cellphone over carrying an ILC.

If Sony had a good pro-style 24-28MP APS-C body in their lineup I would've probably gone that way for my backup as opposed to the used A7R-III.

Smart phones are killing the entry-level camera, so why bother spend too much effort to compete with that? If Sony wants a bite of that pie, they have the Experia phone to compete against Apple/Samsung (but that's a tall order!). Not that I have anything against the ZV1, which I think they should continue to manufacture, I just think anything below that should disappear.

The "entry-level content creator" market segment is probably a more useful designation than the classic "entry-level" or "point & shoot", but cellphones are still taking over here. The lenses and the feature set of an ILC are the trump cards for this category. There is too much overlap between ZVE10 and a6xxx, you really only need one here.

I would love to see an APSC in a bigger body with IBIS and an articulated screen (A7000?). Maybe a bump in resolution? Market this to the enthusiast/semi-pro users. Do it and take my money Sony!

And for God's sake, GIVE IT A FRONT DIAL!

I hated that on my older A-Mounts.

New in Marketplace

Back