Brian Nicholson
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Penicuik, Midlothian
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi everyone.

I am considering this lens and would just would like to hear some feedback of those of you that have and use it .....I primarily photograph landscape, woodland, seascape and recently have been using the longer focal length of my FE f4 70-200mm and cropping but would like the extra reach.

Any feedback welcome

Sony doesn't make an f/4 100-400. It's 4.5-5.6.

I would say it is great for landscape - not your traditional glass option of course, but more than sharp enough; indeed, pleasingly so (retaining a ton of detail) --- I have been trying mine at f/8—f/9 or so recently, and have not gone much farther yet, but plan on working out where it goes soft at some point.

The other thing I really like is its ability to do close-ups with.

It's an excellent lens. I really love it, it produces very sharp images with a lot of detail. Also, it is not so heavy and it gives me a lot of reach as I use it on an APS-C body.

I mainly use it to photograph animals.

Or save $1500 and get the Sigma. Smaller, lighter, 1/3 stop slower. Drawbacks: It won't work with a TC.

DSC02421 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC04571 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
Hmm, maybe, I had both and disliked it in low light

Now, check out the shafts in those front shocks; they must be like 20mm, or maybe even an inch seeing as it is the US, haha. For landing those wheelies I presume

Hmm, maybe, I had both and disliked it in low light

Now, check out the shafts in those front shocks; they must be like 20mm, or maybe even an inch seeing as it is the US, haha. For landing those wheelies I presume
Neither lens is made for low light, which is evidenced by the aperture range. Neither one is any worse than the 200-600 @5.6-6.3. It would be far more of a hinderance on a camera with limited ISO range, though. As good as the A7 IV is in low light, I'll switch to 2.8 zooms or faster primes.

Wheelies aren't desirable but they happen a lot. I've seen plenty of breakage from coming down hard.

Neither lens is made for low light, which is evidenced by the aperture range. Neither one is any worse than the 200-600 @5.6-6.3. It would be far more of a hinderance on a camera with limited ISO range, though. As good as the A7 IV is in low light, I'll switch to 2.8 zooms or faster primes.

Wheelies aren't desirable but they happen a lot. I've seen plenty of breakage from coming down hard.
..indeed but for 2.8s or primes being so exxy!

..indeed but for 2.8s or primes being so exxy!
Minolta 80-200/2.8 APO HS G and LA-EA5 on an A7 IV. Lens, shipped from Japan, $435. LA-EA5, $250.

DSC05940 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05931_01 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05726 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05690 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

I always chuckle when someone says the Sony focuses faster. The Sigma focuses fast enough to shoot cars doing 150+ MPH. Not sure how much faster it needs to be.

I love and absolutely adore my 100-400mm GM! It is my second most-used and favorite lens (the first being my 90mm macro). When I first went with Sony, one of my early purchases was the wonderful 200-600mm, but I soon realized that it was not a lens with which I could comfortably walk around, so in the spring of that year I bought the 100-400mm GM and it was Love at First Use. Actually, now I just keep the 100-400mm on the A1 since that is the combo which I most often use when not shooting macros indoors at home.

I love and absolutely adore my 100-400mm GM! It is my second most-used and favorite lens (the first being my 90mm macro). When I first went with Sony, one of my early purchases was the wonderful 200-600mm, but I soon realized that it was not a lens with which I could comfortably walk around, so in the spring of that year I bought the 100-400mm GM and it was Love at First Use. Actually, now I just keep the 100-400mm on the A1 since that is the combo which I most often use when not shooting macros indoors at home.
Thank you so much for your feedback

The 100-400mm is such a versatile lens: I can go out for a walk around my neighborhood, which is on a small lake, and one minute shoot a squirrel scampering up a tree at some distance from me, and in the next minute zoom in closely on a beautiful flower or plant, and then suddenly spot a bird flying across the lake and if I'm lucky and my timing is right with regard to acquiring focus in a hurry, I can get that shot, too.....

The only reason I would ever give up this lens is if and when Sony releases version II of it!

The 100-400mm is such a versatile lens: I can go out for a walk around my neighborhood, which is on a small lake, and one minute shoot a squirrel scampering up a tree at some distance from me, and in the next minute zoom in closely on a beautiful flower or plant, and then suddenly spot a bird flying across the lake and if I'm lucky and my timing is right with regard to acquiring focus in a hurry, I can get that shot, too.....

The only reason I would ever give up this lens is if and when Sony releases version II of it!
I have heard some people say that may be happening and today i got an email about an announcement on 24th ? Could it be the MKII

I, too, have heard rumors of an update to the 100-400mm GM and am definitely watching to see what happens and when..... At that, though, I probably would not rush into updating mine, because at the moment another freshly-updated lens has caught my attention (it has the magic word "MACRO" involved) and it is more than likely that I'll be wanting to get that one as my next lens purchase....

I think our scenarios are different. You can see your subject amidst other objects close to it. Most of the time my subjects are sitting on trees whose leaves are bigger than my subjects. The Sigma was spending too much time hunting.

To each their own.
Hunting is not focus speed, it's an entirely different issue. The problem you experienced was most likely based on available light.

I have heard some people say that may be happening and today i got an email about an announcement on 24th ? Could it be the MKII
Most likely the A7cII or Sony's promised mystery camera. There hasn't been a single rumor of a MK II 100-400.

Minolta 80-200/2.8 APO HS G and LA-EA5 on an A7 IV. Lens, shipped from Japan, $435. LA-EA5, $250.

DSC05940 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05931_01 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05726 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05690 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

I always chuckle when someone says the Sony focuses faster. The Sigma focuses fast enough to shoot cars doing 150+ MPH. Not sure how much faster it needs to be.
Hmm, okay, but I need some time to sell that to the minister of finance! She's very hands on and is going to notice - but likewise she knows what 2.8 means in lower light scenes!

I actually do keep an eye on the Japanese shops, the pricing is good and from the one lens I did buy in, it has had no issues - any particular vendor you would recommend?

No, from what I have seen, the announcement is about some new earbuds Sony is putting out, nothing to do with photography this time......

Hmm, okay, but I need some time to sell that to the minister of finance! She's very hands on and is going to notice - but likewise she knows what 2.8 means in lower light scenes!

I actually do keep an eye on the Japanese shops, the pricing is good and from the one lens I did buy in, it has had no issues - any particular vendor you would recommend?
E-infinity are pretty good

Not really any special ones. Always look for someone with excellent feedback, of course. But I also do a lot of communications beforehand. I ask questions that don't really need to be asked just to see how well they respond. No or very slow response makes it a no-go. Also, most of the Japanese sellers will put all of the information, like no separation, no fungus, no scratches, no small dust, some fine dust. Read those carefully because sometimes they'll say a lens is in excellent condition (based on their system) but it isn't one that meets my standards. Lastly, ask for pictures. I want to see images form all angles, and very clear shots of both end elements. If I see marks that aren't easily defined, I ask if they're reflections or marks on the glass. Lastly, I ignore the 'accepts free returns'. The cost to ship something back from the US would be so prohibitive it isn't worth considering. It may be different for you based on your locaiton.

And make sure you double check which adapter you can use on your camera, they aren't all interchangeable. There are some threads here with info, or if you get that far along, ask us.

Most likely the A7cII or Sony's promised mystery camera. There hasn't been a single rumor of a MK II 100-400.
Or they go and release a GM version of the 200-600mm - though I cannot see that. What about a 400-800mm cheers Sony, stick that on the wish list huh!
Not really any special ones. Always look for someone with excellent feedback, of course. But I also do a lot of communications beforehand. I ask questions that don't really need to be asked just to see how well they respond. No or very slow response makes it a no-go. Also, most of the Japanese sellers will put all of the information, like no separation, no fungus, no scratches, no small dust, some fine dust. Read those carefully because sometimes they'll say a lens is in excellent condition (based on their system) but it isn't one that meets my standards. Lastly, ask for pictures. I want to see images form all angles, and very clear shots of both end elements. If I see marks that aren't easily defined, I ask if they're reflections or marks on the glass. Lastly, I ignore the 'accepts free returns'. The cost to ship something back from the US would be so prohibitive it isn't worth considering. It may be different for you based on your locaiton.

And make sure you double check which adapter you can use on your camera, they aren't all interchangeable. There are some threads here with info, or if you get that far along, ask us.
I imagine it is when rather than if, and it may well be that I would stave it off until we go there on holiday - it isn't far to fly - and then we can go shopping in an actual shop, which would probably be more fun too.

Or they go and release a GM version of the 200-600mm - though I cannot see that. What about a 400-800mm cheers Sony, stick that on the wish list huh!
The rumor mills have become fairly adept at accumulating and dispensing accurate information, up to a point. In other words, they may not know all the specs of the upcoming item, but they know it what it will be and about when it will be released. Most of them admit to (or infer) they know more than they can tell us. I think that's true to some degree, if a mole asks you to keep it quiet you do as they wish, or you lose that source. So far, there has been zero discussion of any 100-400 or 200-600 updates, everything has revolved around cameras. Having said that there was very little advanced notice about the new 70-200/4, so nothing is out of the question, just not as likely.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back