Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony makes it more difficult than it needs to be

evacguy

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I just claimed my £100 cash back on my new 24-70mm f2.8 II lens. I had to wait 1 month after the purchase date to claim - by making you wait 1 month, I guess Sony hope that folks will forget! Then, after going through all the questions and providing all the information for the on-line form, Sony informs me have to destroy the box the lens came in by cutting out the lens serial number information and provide them with a picture of the cut out serial number information. Why do we have to destroy the box to do this? Surely, the receipt is sufficient proof that I have purchased the item, especially as they make you wait 1 month to claim the cash back. Sony is being a pain in the butt by making us do this.

It all sounds a bit too much to me.

On the other hand, it might be that Sony have people who game the system in ways you and I wouldn't even think of.

The box is part of your purchase. It is also part of the resale value of the lens. They should not require you to damage it.

The one month wait I understand it's meant so you can't bring back the product at the shop after claiming the cashback.

As for the other issue, I didn't need to do that for the cashback of my 20-70 lens. They only asked for the receipt and a picture of the box with the lens where the model and serial number matched that of the receipt. No need to destroy nothing.

How strange, as in my experience I found the process really fast and satisfying.

I just claimed my £100 cash back on my new 24-70mm f2.8 II lens. I had to wait 1 month after the purchase date to claim - by making you wait 1 month, I guess Sony hope that folks will forget! Then, after going through all the questions and providing all the information for the on-line form, Sony informs me have to destroy the box the lens came in by cutting out the lens serial number information and provide them with a picture of the cut out serial number information. Why do we have to destroy the box to do this? Surely, the receipt is sufficient proof that I have purchased the item, especially as they make you wait 1 month to claim the cash back. Sony is being a pain in the butt by making us do this.

The wait a month bit I think is to avoid someone claiming the cashback, then returning the lens, I think. Fair enough - there are some unscrupulous people around (seem to be some in the US who boast of ordering three copies of a lens, trying out all three, then returning two of them…).

I’ve never had to cut up the box to claim a cash-back. I wouldn’t do it. I get a better price selling the lens if it comes with the original box (including matching serial number).

Sony often farm these claims out to a third party to handle the paperwork - I wonder if this is Sony’s idea, or something the third party came up with? Sounds like someone getting a bit too enthusiastic.

The wait a month bit I think is to avoid someone claiming the cashback, then returning the lens, I think. Fair enough - there are some unscrupulous people around (seem to be some in the US who boast of ordering three copies of a lens, trying out all three, then returning two of them…).

I’ve never had to cut up the box to claim a cash-back. I wouldn’t do it. I get a better price selling the lens if it comes with the original box (including matching serial number).

Sony often farm these claims out to a third party to handle the paperwork - I wonder if this is Sony’s idea, or something the third party came up with? Sounds like someone getting a bit too enthusiastic.
Yes, I think you are correct about the one month part, but cutting up the box is ridiculous, especially as you have to wait the month. I was careful on how I cut out the serial number to minimise the damage to the box, and put the cut out part back in the box. But it is really very annoying to deliberately damage the box. Hopefully, won't lose too much on re-sale value when/if I sell the lens.

That's just stupid, I keep my boxes in case I want to sell the lens on at a later date.

How are your PhotoShop skills?

Shouldn't be too hard to create a photo of a cutout serial number patch.

Assuming I thought of it, I would prefer to produce the image they demand that way, rather than destroy the box - it's an unreasonable request, and too little money for it!

How are your PhotoShop skills?

Shouldn't be too hard to create a photo of a cutout serial number patch.

Assuming I thought of it, I would prefer to produce the image they demand that way, rather than destroy the box - it's an unreasonable request, and too little money for it!
Yes, I thought of that, but they insist that the image must by clearly of the cut out on a table with different surface to clearly demonstrate a cut out. They also state that you cannot peel the label off, it must clearly be a cut out. At least I haven't destroyed the box, it just has a small cut out :-(

Sorry but who's asking for all that? The cashback is claimed at the official Sony website and it's a standard form where you fill the information they asked and upload the pictures for the invoice and the lens and serial number (I sent a picture where the lens was next to box with the serial number visible).

As far as I know there's no communication with a real person, it's all automatic. You get a confirmation email after fulfilling the petition and another once they authorise it.
It’s information provided on the refund application site.

Weird! Maybe there are different rules and requirements depending on the region? Hope you get your cashback soon, at least...

Weird! Maybe there are different rules and requirements depending on the region? Hope you get your cashback soon, at least...
Just been informed, my cash back has been approved.

New in Marketplace

Back