Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I liked the reflections in the pond by the Hare and Billet pub on Blackheath. This little guy seemed to be racing towards an uncertain finish line. Not sure, but I think he is a Coot?
swimming_in_reflection-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 88.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 125

I've removed all mirrors from my house to avoid seeing the old coot that haunts this place.

Friendly question - does the coot(?) or the whole picture feel a little dark to you?

I've removed all mirrors from my house to avoid seeing the old coot that haunts this place.

Friendly question - does the coot(?) or the whole picture feel a little dark to you?
It might be a tad dark. I've cropped into about 25% of the original image. I think the entire image looks about right, but perhaps the bit I cropped is a little dark? I find it difficult to make these type of decisions. Do you know whether he is a coot or not? I think its a coot, but the beak may be a little too red for a coot?
coot_on_pond-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 88.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 125

It might be a tad dark. I've cropped into about 25% of the original image. I think the entire image looks about right, but perhaps the bit I cropped is a little dark? I find it difficult to make these type of decisions.
Me too. I do a quick adjustment to the exposure (often over-expose) to help me decide where to crop. Then I'll take a second look and adjust the exposure to suit the cropped image. Usually, I'll try to get a nice overall balance for the now cropped image and then make any adjustments to the subject. For dark subjects, I often have to recover the shadows.
But
I like to shoot before sunrise, and those pictures are dark. If I rely on what the software (Capture One) recommends, I get a picture that looks like it was taken in full daylight, and I lose the feeling of being out at that special time of day.

Do you know whether he is a coot or not? I think its a coot, but the beak may be a little too red for a coot?View attachment 31455
According to a Google Image search, this appears to be a Common Moorhen.

Me too. I do a quick adjustment to the exposure (often over-expose) to help me decide where to crop. Then I'll take a second look and adjust the exposure to suit the cropped image. Usually, I'll try to get a nice overall balance for the now cropped image and then make any adjustments to the subject. For dark subjects, I often have to recover the shadows.
But
I like to shoot before sunrise, and those pictures are dark. If I rely on what the software (Capture One) recommends, I get a picture that looks like it was taken in full daylight, and I lose the feeling of being out at that special time of day.

According to a Google Image search, this appears to be a Common Moorhen.
Thanks on both counts. Common Moorhen it is! I rarely ever use what Lightroom recommends, I find I usually don't like what it comes up with, usually over exposed for my taste. As you say, I should have gone in to do some fine adjustments after the crop.

Back