Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

struck by an odd thought (4thirds)

Cαscαdian

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Jim R
Country
United States
City/State
Cowlitz co, WA
Sony could be rather disruptive with a combo E-mount body + 4/3 sensor. Since Oly/OM and Pana seem to be dealing in larger bodies nowadays, small-body fans in the µ43 community are a bit distressed. By using the E mount Sony would be free of the protocols of µ43, but as the crafter of those sensors they could make small cameras and fill a quickly-vacating slot. Current µ43 users with a load of lenses would not convert - but that isn't everyone on that platform by a long shot. (pun?)

I prefer the 4:3 ratio over 3:2 for my images, and it isn't available in my limited price range on older Sony bodies. I still have my eM1 for plenty of work and other non-Sony features, and my wife's pink GF9 for small kit/large reward opportunities.

Yes the E mount lenses would be larger than current µ43 designs, but not hugely so in many cases.
Sony is pretty close to smallest kit in any case with the aps-C bodies relative to OM-1 and G9 -- so it's not a real need from them. Just a thought.

I can't see Sony entering the 4/3 market. I do think they should release a stacked APSC sensor camera but in the same body as the A9III. I think if they made it about 32MP it would sell very well depending on price.

I think they'll stick with FF and aps-c for a long time yet. And if they ever add to that, it is more likely to be in the direction of larger format cameras. At least, for their ILCs.

New in Marketplace

Back