Followers
Following
Name
Bob
Country
United States
City/State
So Cal
The new Photoshop Beta with AI components is a little creepy but as it improves, there will be no stopping it from it's use in image creation. Maybe a disclaimer should be posted with the images

for example this could be made better but I did nothing other than highlight and type add seal

seal copy.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 800

Oh no! If that polar bear turns around the seal is in trouble.
seal copy2.jpg

Seems like a natural progression to me. I think that we probably need to be a little less believing that a photo represents reality, be then we always should have.

Believe none of what you hear and believe half of what you see
Edgar Allen Poe?

Even if it wasn't him, it's more true today than it ever was.

That sort of manipulation has been possible manually for many years using layers/copy and paste etc.
I agree that image manipulation should be acknowledged by the author though and not passed off as reality.

That sort of manipulation has been possible manually for many years using layers/copy and paste etc.
I agree that image manipulation should be acknowledged by the author though and not passed off as reality.
true but that takes more effort and skill, this is semi auto, which means many more will use it. Phot manipulatioon was going on long before Photo Shop and digital photogrphy, either with airbrushing or dark room magic. Like one of my favorite photographers of that time, Jerry Uelsmann ( who sadly passed last year) Jerry Uelsmann. When I was making a living at this, maybe one out twenty groups shots would be used just the way they were shot, all the others had head and body strips. The AI is different and will only get better technically but do to it's ease of use at generating objects, we may end up seeing a lot of that same seal.

Last edited:
I took photos last week at a graduation ceremony at the high school that I worked at for 20 years before retiring last year. I mainly took candid shots but also tried to get photos of some of the students I taught with their diplomas as they exited the stage. Since I had to take the shots quickly to avoid causing any delays some of the shots weren't centered well. I decided to try using the Generative Fill to see if I could improve the framing and here are a couple of before and after shots.

Just slightly off...
DSC00477-dng_DxO_HQ.jpg Grad2023-166.jpg

And another that was off by much more.
DSC00483-dng_DxO_HQ.jpg Grad2023-171.jpg

Back