Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
We already have a few themed threads in our genre specific forums but it would be great to see a few more.

Themed threads could focus on a specific animal, geographical location, sunsets, storms, etc.. This is just a very general guide since this post is being cross posted in our 14 genre specific forums.

If you wish to start a themed thread please make it clear that it is a themed thread by adding the words "Thread - Post Your Shots Here" to the end of the title and and making this clear in the first sentence.

For example, a thread on Woodpeckers would simply have the title: "Woodpeckers Thread - Post Your Shots Here" and a short introductory sentence along the lines of: "Since we don't appear to have a thread on Woodpeckers I thought I'd start one".

Please do use the search box to make sure there isn't an existing themed thread before creating one. When you start typing your title you should see similar threads displayed so this will help to avoid this.

I expect popular threads will gravitate towards the top of the forum and the less popular ones will just slide down.

Just because a themed thread exists doesn't mean that you have to post in it, you are still free to create your own posts as well.

Please drop your suggestions for improvements to themed threads below.

Last edited:
A couple months ago I started the North American Wildlife Thread which is doing fairly well. I do like themed threads instead of everyone making a new thread every time they have a photo to post. The key, in my opinion, is to make it generic enough to get participation. The example above, woodpeckers, would be too specific in my opinion. But a larger category of birds like raptors might do well. Or for architeccture, church steeples would be too specific, but churches could be generic enough. The other reason I think my North America thread is getting participation is because I contribute to it regularly which bumps it onto the main page. When I see people posting standalone threads (images) of animals from North America, I sometimes post in their comments that it would be a good addition to my thread and provide a link.

The problem I am finding with the specific threads is that unless I see the shots posted in Gallery, I miss them completely.

The problem I am finding with the specific threads is that unless I see the shots posted in Gallery, I miss them completely.
Isn't the same true if shots are posted as individual threads?

Don't you use "New Posts" to see what's new? A new post will show up in the list regardless of which thread it is in.

• Admin
If you prefer to use the gallery to view images Kev then the majority of photos should be copied over from the threads, so you won't miss these. You'll only miss them if the member has disabled the media gallery mirroring option in their profile settings.

Also if you click on an image in the media gallery, if this was mirrored from a forum post then you'll see a link back to the original forum thread in the top right like shown in the below image. So you can easily jump to the original thread.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 13.41.56.jpg

Don't you use "New Posts" to see what's new? A new post will show up in the list regardless of which thread it is in.
I do, but then I have to look at that specific thread and scroll to the latest posts. I much prefer seeing a fresh post for new photos.
Tim, yes, I do that too.

Maybe we could have a birds of prey thread as there are many types all over the world and I think there is a real interest in them as time moves along.
I know even here in Australia there are some that I have not seen but others from her may have to chance to get them and post in such a dedicated threat to them. For me it would be like one stop shopping as it is all there at our fingertips.
Just my thoughts on this one.

I'll race you all to a Skyscapes theme, a non-celestial landscape subset. I'd been wondering how to bring that about, and this is a fine answer!

Maybe we could have a birds of prey thread as there are many types all over the world and I think there is a real interest in them as time moves along.
I know even here in Australia there are some that I have not seen but others from her may have to chance to get them and post in such a dedicated threat to them. For me it would be like one stop shopping as it is all there at our fingertips.
Just my thoughts on this one.
There already is a raptor thread: https://www.alphashooters.com/community/threads/birds-of-prey-raptor-thread.4880/

Back