Thoughts on shooting full frame in crop mode, do you , would you, pros and cons

I have had prints done to poster size from a 8mp Canon 1D mk2 and they were fine so prints from todays cameras 20mp or above are going to be great.

I have had prints done to poster size from a 8mp Canon 1D mk2 and they were fine so prints from todays cameras 20mp or above are going to be great.

One of the classic statements (which I still don't know is true) is the claim that billboards are only 6Mp resolution, but you see them from so far away, they look sharp.

Printed in a reasonable size, and viewed from an appropriate distance, 8Mpixel can be plenty, especially from a high-end camera like a 1D mark II, which was likely teamed with a good lens (a 1D mark II was an expensive camera in its day).

One of the classic statements (which I still don't know is true) is the claim that billboards are only 6Mp resolution, but you see them from so far away, they look sharp.

Printed in a reasonable size, and viewed from an appropriate distance, 8Mpixel can be plenty, especially from a high-end camera like a 1D mark II, which was likely teamed with a good lens (a 1D mark II was an expensive camera in its day).
I know a guy who does full-height wall murals for college entry halls using a 20MP camera.

As I couldn't find (be bothered to look for :D) my previous crop vs FF shots, I took some new ones this morning. A nice controlled environment in garage too, so even processing on both shots. I won't say which is which, so see if you can tell which is shot crop and which is shot FF (without looking at the file sizes in gallery)
DSC08493 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC08494 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

Guessing top is FF?

Top has better contrast/color/sharpness, a little more vignette.

Colors in top are a bit better. easiest to see in the browns. So I'd say that was FF?

Thanks for doing the experiment, since I shoot crop a lot I was very interested. In my eyes there is no difference except the top is slightly underexposed overall than the bottom, which is making the markings stand out more.
But you didn't guess!

An update then :D Charylee guessed right, everyone else didn't :D

Maybe I made a slight difference in processing each, but I was pretty sure I used the exact same parameters on each, so it has really shown that shooting crop doesn't lose you anything at all, and vice versa, shooting full frame and cropping more doesn't gain anything.

Back