Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
This just appeared on the main blog page: https://www.alphashooters.com/tamron-announces-development-of-50-400mm-f4-5-6-3-di-iii-vc-vxd-lens/
A 50-400 is interesting. If it is close to being as sharp as the 100-400 lenses offered by Sony and other manufacturers, it could steal customers who want to travel light. What I mean is that it could negate the need to carry a 24-70 along with a 100-400 for a lot of travel photographers. Some people will still want the 24-70 for the larger f/2.8 aperture (or even f/4 for those who have it). But for people who do landscape and architecture, they could conceivably have a two lens travel kit: the new 50-400 and an ultra-wide 14-24 or similar.

For what I shoot, I would love the added 50mm at the wide end.

The size and weight are virtually identical to the Sigma 100-400, so no advantage there. It's a better companion to a 24-70 than the 100-400 is with a nice overlap. I figure the 24-105/100-400 or the 24-70/50-400 are virtually the same setup for most people.

If it's a nice sharp lens though, it will definitely be in the same family as the current crop of 100-400s.

6.3 at 400 is a bit limiting though. Interesting as a walkabout lens for sure.

6.3 at 400 is a bit limiting though. Interesting as a walkabout lens for sure.
It' s 1/3 stop slower than the Sony. Not worth the mention, especially since I'd be willing to bet it'll be priced closer to the Sigma.

It' s 1/3 stop slower than the Sony. Not worth the mention, especially since I'd be willing to bet it'll be priced closer to the Sigma.
I think you forget this is a photographer's forum when you say 1/3 stop is not worth mentioning! ;)
I am also on NikonRumors (since I shoot Nikon F). I posted something similar about the need for the new Z mount 400 f/4.5 when they already have a Z 100-400 f4/5-5.6 . A user repsonded he will get the new one because it's 2/3 stop lighter for early morning, then switch to 100-400 for mid-day walkaround, and also use 400 2.8 when he has a tripod. Three 400mm lenses! Some people have too much money...

I think you forget this is a photographer's forum when you say 1/3 stop is not worth mentioning! ;)
But if I believe what all the Sony fanboys say, I can just bump ISO to make up for it!

Seriously, it's rather insignificant in the vast majority of use cases @400mm. And since it mirrors the Sig 100-400, I can say that with experience. Not once would 1/3 of a stop have saved me!

But if I believe what all the Sony fanboys say, I can just bump ISO to make up for it!

Seriously, it's rather insignificant in the vast majority of use cases @400mm. And since it mirrors the Sig 100-400, I can say that with experience. Not once would 1/3 of a stop have saved me!
I actually agree with you that 1/3 is insignificant, but believe me there are some who think it makes a wolrd of difference.

I think on a lens with this range it does make a difference, just because they are always a big compromise at the long end. Maybe Tamron have cracked it though.

I think on a lens with this range it does make a difference, just because they are always a big compromise at the long end. Maybe Tamron have cracked it though.
And there's the question. Can Tamron produce this lens with a 7X zoom that will be sharp at the long end? Most of the newer lenses seem to have been able to accomplish that. The Sigma 100-400 leaves nothing behind, and Tamron's 28-200 is supposed to be pretty good across the range.

Computers have really raised the bar on superzooms.

According to newer blog post, it is now available for pre-order: https://www.alphashooters.com/tamron-50-400mm-f4-5-6-3-di-iii-vc-vxd-pre-order/

It is not readily apparent from photo, and not listed on BH site (even under accessories), but apparently there will be an optional tripod mount. I just happened to click on the right spot in the linked video to see it. I find this very useful, especially so because Tamron (and Sigma) make their tripod collars Arca-Swiss compatible. I don't know why none of the major manufacturers do, so I have to buy an expensive Really Right Stuff replacement.

I met a Canon Pro rep at an event who said she brought it up to management becuase people are asking for it so Canon may start making theirs compatible. If they do, I wonder if Nikon and Sony will follow?

Hi all,

I have had a lot of spare time on my hands caught COVID so self isolating and after a ton of research following my previous post about the 70-200GM mkii with x2 teleconverter or the 100-400, I have decided to go with the Tamron 50-400.

This will be ideal for what I need and the f6.3 aperture at 400 mm is okay for you me...I have the f4 70-200 mki and I have to stop down to f5.6 /f6.3 in most cases.

It also gives me a nice crossover to my 24-70 mm.

Looking forward to getting it and putting it through my test for my needs.

Back