Sony A7R IV Updating firmware (to 1.20) issues - A7R IV

Burnsie

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Alex
Howdy all. First post...hope it is in the correct area!

I’ve just purchased a used A7Riv and cant update firmware to 1.20 (it's currently 1.10)

I have tried everything, including making sure I’m using the correct USB cable supplied, making sure the memory card is in or out, that I restart the camera+PC, tried different USB ports etc etc, obviously making sure I’m in mass storage mode. Nothing works as it can never find the camera.

I have also seen the article about connection issues (maybe they should just fix the software!), but none of that helped either.

I’m not using a Mac. I am using a PC running Windows 11.

Any more suggestions?

If you’ve only just purchased it then you probably have the a7R IV “A” revision. The latest firmware for this revision is v1.10. For the older “None A” revision it’s v1.20. It’s confusing I know.

It is, it is the A version! (I didn't know that at the time, is that there was a slightly newer version).

So it can't find my camera because I already have the latest firmware?

To be fair the person I bought the camera off (who might be a member of the forum) kept the camera in so good condition that even the USB cable came and it's original little bag with little cable ties around it

The A version just received a higher res LCD probably due to the chip shortage, otherwise there’s not much difference. Of course the firmware versions are different which is very confusing.

Is guess they put version 1 in the first A7Riv

Then upgraded to version 2

Then brough out A7RivA, with version 1 for it... So, yes, confusing

Back