Video external mic

StephenCain

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Stephen Cain
Have a couple of video projects and considering an external mic. Any recommendations appreciated ( A7R IV )

Have a couple of video projects and considering an external mic. Any recommendations appreciated ( A7R IV )
I use the ECM-B1M but using a lav to a recorder then mixing it in post is good. I recently got an MKE600 on a Zoom F2-BT (32-bit Float recorder) then mixing it with the scratch audio is best due to the no-clipping flexibility. If you burn it in w/ the footage on the camera and it clips, you may not be able to recover it no matter what you do. Not sure what you are trying to do but there are different ways. I was using 2x wireless mics as stereo to a receiver on the mic in of the camera. I also use a mixer to mix multiple sources for live streaming on the A7R4 and it works.

It really should depend what you are trying to do as that would determine the best option. You can make it all work with 1 method but you may found out quick why it's not a good idea compared to another.

If you want to know all the reason why I have and chose what I chose, let me know then I will detail it.

Last edited:
Hi thank you for your help. I want to create video showreels for actors in the studio. These are basically up to 90 seconds shot with a plain background and the actor is approx 2 m from camera. They are uploaded to websites and social media. probably shoot in 4k then down size

Hi thank you for your help. I want to create video showreels for actors in the studio. These are basically up to 90 seconds shot with a plain background and the actor is approx 2 m from camera. They are uploaded to websites and social media. probably shoot in 4k then down size
show me youtube examples that best represent what you are trying to do too

Hotshoe shotgun mics can only work up to so far but can still be excellent. If you have a super controlled environment then use a shotgun mic on a mic/boom pole. If you don't have much control and want a super-wide angle then most like you need a lav w/ a Zoom F2-BT (32-bit float) recorder you can adjust in post. Depending on your standard level of quality, a mic on the hotshoe could be suffice. A remote lav system could be suffice.

The reasons being.. the quality goes down when they are positioned too far, setup wrong such as clothing rubbing and wind noise. The recorder can also not be set up properly where it clips or is too low to bring up this is why a 32-bit float recorder is best to use so you have incredible flexibility like RAW photos and their dynamic range over JPEG/JPG.

Of course you can have the sound down perfectly but then there is lightning where looking up gripper techniques and other things to make it sell the look of how you want. Investing in proper lighting to make sure the colors look Professional, not just use any lighting.

It shouldn't take "too long" to figure out considering you have everything. Just need to know you can't adjust certain things if they aren't done as I've said. You use the things I've said to ensure you Have the flexibility in post to achieve your desired results.

Last edited:
thank you Stephen

thank you Stephen
They don't tell you about what gear you need and why. I told you why. If you get it wrong you will not get the same results as them.

Seems like you have a lot to learn though and plenty of mistakes to learn from.

I think for the moment I need a recommendation for a good quality mic. Connecting via jack plug or hot shoe does this have an impact on sound quality

I can't give as detailed an answer as Anthony did, but I can say that I have tried two mics on my a6400 in the kitchen and I have some thoughts in general. The two I used:
  • Rode Video Micro - It is the cheap shotgun mic that you see budding youtubers use often. In my use case (cooking videos in kitchen, distance ranging from 1-3 meters) I found it ok, but it picked up the echo in the room and some unwanted background noise. I think this is common with many shotgun mics.
  • Synco G1 wireless mic system - stepping up to a wireless system and pairing with a lav mic was a game changer for me. A bit of a learning curve in terms of how to mount it to avoid noise from brushing against clothing (or to get even sound regardless of which way I turned my head), but worth the effort. I found this system better because the mic was closer to me and thus my voice was clearer and there was less background noise.
If you still want to stick with a simple, affordable shotgun mic, YouTube is abuzz with the latest entry from Rode, the VideoMic Go II, I am sure you will find reviews easily. Again, my amateur opinion, but if you have a controlled set where there isn't much background noise and you can control the echo with carpet and maybe some drapes or blankets on the sides, you could make use of a shotgun mic. Powered shotgun mics are even better, but you would still need to ensure you cut down on background noise and echoes on set.

I read a very good review on the Rode VideoMic Pro and I bought it. The trouble is that I have hardly used it, therefore I don't have my personal evaluation, nor do I remeber the one that I read, but here is a link for you.

I think for the moment I need a recommendation for a good quality mic. Connecting via jack plug or hot shoe does this have an impact on sound quality
I went from worst possible way to best possible way.

The distance at which you use the mic determines your audio quality. The quality usually everyone uses for the ultimate quality is something in the MKE600 range.

See this video, all 5 of them.

See this too:

You just need an education on the different types of mic setups. I've tried using a Lav to out perform a top-end shotgun condenser but it just won't happen. Unless you have an Ultra quiet environment you will get echos from it hitting the walls and stuff. You will get fan noise and other things you can suppress calculate in Post but it's not as good as just using a top-end condenser in the right position.

Of course, in every area of life you won't have the luxury of being in a controlled environment. Other sound-only people won't do audio by an airport or a highway. There are plenty of videos but ultimately, if you are in a controlled environment you have to get a top-end shotgun condenser microphone, but after you've watched those videos.

I chose the MKE600 over the rest because it's battery powered meaning you can hook it up to a 3.5mm and use it on your camera or the Zoom F2-BT 32-Bit Float recorder. The other top-end microphones that aren't battery powered, you have to use a recorder that delivers +48V Phantom power for it to work. I don't like carrying too many things I don't need especially when the quality at the end of everything would be pretty much the same.

Also, youtube videos will try to make you enhance your audio by tweaking a lot of things in Adobe Audition or eq. software. My findings were it sounds different depending on whether you are using speakers, a TV, smartphone, earbuds, headphones, etc. If I mess w/ the audio it sounds worse on another device but best on what I was tweaking it for. The Only thing I do is do a noise suppression calculation in Adobe Audition and it sounds excellent on everything. I think the other Youtube videos try to sell you on making your Audio sound better so they can get views and you can see them as the expert but in fact you don't have to do any of that. Not that if you put in the effort it will sound better, from my findings it will sound worse.

Pretty much a shotgun condenser on a stand w/ a shock mount is what you are looking for but for singing, this type of microphone is best otherwise they would be using the shotgun condenser microphone.

Rode Mic isn't as great but it still can be done.

Last edited:
Wow Anthony, are you a sound engineer by trade? I'm really glad Stephen asked this question so we can all benefit from the links and info you posted.

Back