Welcome

Soundmike

Followers
Following
Name
John Cawthorn
Thanks for the welcome, I've been looking at various threads regarding the FE 200-600 lens. I've always been interested in bird photography and with lockdown decided to ditch the Nex 6 and get the 6400. After using my 70-350 for a while I decided to upgrade to the 200-600. I've been surprised like me how many people have had problems with the lens regarding focus problems. I've got the latest firmware and have tried various settings suggested by people like Mark Smith and Mark gellar but I would think 60% of my shots are out of focus. I'm not unduly worried at the moment as I'm still on a learning curve, but thought I'd share my experience, may post some images when I'm a bit more confident, especially when I've looked at some of the quality images on here.

Welcome again John! :) I've not used my 200-600 a great deal on my a6400 but when I have I don't recall too many issues with focussing. Do you still have the 70-350? If you do then perhaps a few side by side tests will reveal if there are any issues with the 200-600. If you want to share some images and the settings that you were using at the time then people might also be able to make some suggestions.

Thanks for that, yes hope to do some testing this weekend with both lenses. Did notice a bit of difference when I was out last night when I turned off the E curtain shutter and silent shooting off, plenty of things to try yet before I start looking at new gear.

I'd avoid the silent shooting / electronic shutter for anything that moves as you risk distortion unless you are using an a9 or a1 since they have the much faster stacked sensors. E-front curtain shutter shouldn't be an issue.

Back