Sony A7 IV Which camera, A7IV or A7riv

Blackaxe

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
mick
First post here and would like to say hello to you all.
Considering upgrade from A7Riii, love the resolution and crop ability with extra mpix.
Would you still go for the A7RIV for the better af or the new A7IV and not have the resolution.
Wildlife photography and general photography.
would like some advice.

Mick

Might be easier to ask is there anyone who has any thoughts on using the fe200-600mm lens on the A7RIV and the A7IV.
any advice on this combo would probably answer my first question.

Mick

First post here and would like to say hello to you all.
Considering upgrade from A7Riii, love the resolution and crop ability with extra mpix.
Would you still go for the A7RIV for the better af or the new A7IV and not have the resolution.
Wildlife photography and general photography.
would like some advice.

Mick
I think part of the issue may be in the way you worded the question:

The A7IV actually has the updated focus system, so the question would be better phrased:

"Would you go for the A7RIV for the higher resolution or the new A7IV for the better focusing."

It all depends on what you need. I shoot a lot of fast action stuff in season and the only reason I bought the new A7IV was for the world-class focusing. I care not about the massive megapickles offered in the RIV. Again, it depends on your needs/wants/desires. Each person will have their own reasoning.

Thanks for reply,
I suppose I was referring to A7RIV af against the af of the A7RIII in the question.
I realise the af is far better in the A7IV.
Do you find the A7IV hits focus on birds in flight.
Have you used the A7RIV.

Never used an RIV.

Yesterday morning was -5 degrees F. Not many birds to try it out on, and if there were I wouldn't want to go out! I'm thoroughly convinced that Dec 23rd is the worst day in the world to release a new camera, at least in the northern hemisphere. I'm afraid my shooting is going to be limited to indoor static shots until the weather breaks.

I have no experience here but I will say that you can do a lot of cropping with the images from the A7IV and still maintain a 4K image, I do have experience with that. If I had to choose, I would rather have shot a Pin Sharp image and crop a little less than the oposite. No use cropping an image a lot if it's not perfectly focused.

Unless you decide on the A7IV now, I'd be tempted to wait and see what the A7R V is like. The A7R IV is a few years old now right? So should be updated sometime soon...

One thing to consider about waiting for new models. There is a chip shortage and it looks like that won't change for some time. Sony has curtailed the production of some models because of this. I suspect introduction of new models will be affected as well.

One thing to consider about waiting for new models. There is a chip shortage and it looks like that won't change for some time. Sony has curtailed the production of some models because of this. I suspect introduction of new models will be affected as well.
Agreed. Projections I've seen are well into late 2022, and the chip shortage is likely to get worse before it gets better. I would expect an updated A1 to compete with Nikon's new Z9 before a 7RV.

I have the A7R4 and the 200-600 and it’s amazing.. it’s truly the best setup I have ever used…

I have the A7R4 and the 200-600 and it’s amazing.. it’s truly the best setup I have ever used…

I ordered the A7riv on Tuesday, and already have the 200-600.
looking forward to using this setup.
Any settings tips will be appreciated.

Back