Which teleconverter

Tinopener

Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Hi All
Been toying with the idea of buying a Sony teleconverter I know they come in two different sizes as to speak 1.4x and 2x. Which ever one I choose will go on Sony 200-600 mm
lens .. Does anyone have any advice as which one would be better then the other . Would mostly be used out in the field for wildlife photography … Thank you Gary

I'd avoid the 2x on that lens, we just don't have the bright conditions you need to deal with an aperture of f11 as a minimum at the long end. I had the 1.4, it works well enough, but again, you need the light. I sold it in the end, I found the loss of IQ due to higher ISO wasn't worth it, far better to shoot in crop mode, or crop from full frame IMO.

I have the 1.4x and use it occasionally with the 200-600G. There are 2 things that you need to remember with either, 1) the 1.4 will make the fastest Aperture will be F9 and F13 with the 2x and 2) yes you will have more reach but that also means that there is more air between you and the subject and that in itself can soften images.

That said I use the 1.4x sometimes when I am photographing falcons in the city because they will be high above the ground and less likely to have heat reflection issues. The other time I will use it will be on the super cold days at a beach or wildlife refuge again because there is less moisture to deal with and generally no heat reflections.

When I started wildlife I had a 24mp body and the longest lens with the 100-400GM so the 1.4x (the 2x wasn't available for the 4 months I was looking) was quite helpful. If the 200-600G was available it would have been unlikely that I would have gotten a teleconverter.

Generally speaking, a lesser magnification will yield better image results. What you're doing is magnifying everything about the lens, good and bad. Additionally, I've seen enough reviews of to believe the 2X may have some copy variation, while the 1.4 appears to be more consistent. YMMV.

In a high ambient light and/or sunny environment within daylight hours and after morning holden hour and before afternoon golden hour the 1.4 works well with the Sony 200-600mm and Is a positive addition to "reach".....in a UK weather environment you will leave your x1.4 at home for most of the time and even in use will only be effective within a very narrow time window during the winter months.

The x2.0 , unless you are using it on other lenses, I would not buy it for the 200-600mm alone. Even in lighter ambient environments I find a significant drop off in Image sharpness.

I have both, and have used both with the 200-600.

The 2x is dramatic, and gives you a lot of reach, but I have to agree with everyone above - it really needs a lot of light to work well. You are rather further from the equator than I am, and so you are already getting less light even before we take into account overcast weather / haze / etc. I get my best shots with the 400-1200 when it's blazing sun in a cloudless sky (don't forget the SPF 50 and a hat!). No blazing sun? Too many clouds? You are going to struggle with 1200mm f/13 wide open.

The 1.4x is not so dramatic, but it's also less of a drama queen in its demands - only costs you one stop, not two.

Have you considered using APS-C crop instead? If nothing else, experimenting with APS-C crop will give you a feel for the change in "reach" you get with the 1.4x. Two big advantages to using APS-C crop: it's free! And you don't have to stop and juggle lens caps putting the TC on and taking it off - you can miss the shot while you are doing that!

I wouldn't even consider throwing my 2x on the 200-600mm. It's already quite a slow lens to begin with, but in good light I could see there being value in the 1.4x for this case.

Gary,
Lots of comparison shots and thoughts in this thread.
What body are you using with the FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS?

Gary,
Lots of comparison shots and thoughts in this thread.
What body are you using with the FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS?
A911

Back