Wide Angle Zoom or Fixed focal length, E-mount?

Grant C

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Grant Crawford
New to Sony full frame a7Riii with Zeiss 24-70 lens. Looking for suggestions on what lens works best for doing interiors of churches? Zoom or fixed focal length? Can’t afford the G-master zoom! Alternate brands? Thanks for your input.

Go wide, I love how you can play with perspectives and context.
A fast wide prime would be a good addon to your 24-70. Interiors can be quite dark and 2 extra stops of light are always welcome in these situations.
You can always crop to zoom in the frame.
These shoots are at 14mm
DSC09718.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • SAMYANG AF 14mm F2.8
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 640
DSC09720.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • SAMYANG AF 14mm F2.8
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 320
DSC00031.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • SAMYANG AF 14mm F2.8
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/5 sec
  • ISO 100

I'm after similar and have looked at that Samyang too. I'm struggling to get past the Sigma 14-28 f2.8 though....

I'm after similar and have looked at that Samyang too. I'm struggling to get past the Sigma 14-28 f2.8 though....
I'm happy with the Samyang, It's AF isn't very good, but at 14f2.8, focusing isn't challenging so it hasn't been an issue so far.
The Sigma is out of my budget ...

I'm happy with the Samyang, It's AF isn't very good, but at 14f2.8, focusing isn't challenging so it hasn't been an issue so far.
The Sigma is out of my budget ...

Yep same here really although it is the manual version I'm looking at. I almost bought it but keep thinking if I wait it's £350 extra towards the Sigma which would be more useful for me. Obviously that means I have neither while I continue to think about it :)

Oh and I've been looking at e-infin where the Sigma is a lot less than the normal price.......

Yep same here really although it is the manual version I'm looking at. I almost bought it but keep thinking if I wait it's £350 extra towards the Sigma which would be more useful for me. Obviously that means I have neither while I continue to think about it :)

Oh and I've been looking at e-infin where the Sigma is a lot less than the normal price.......
Have you checked out Panamoz?

Have you checked out Panamoz?
Thanks and yep I have and e-infin is almost always cheaper but the Panamoz warranty is much better. Having said that Panamoz do price match them at times and that's the path I'll most likely try when the time comes.

Go wide, I love how you can play with perspectives and context.
A fast wide prime would be a good addon to your 24-70. Interiors can be quite dark and 2 extra stops of light are always welcome in these situations.
You can always crop to zoom in the frame.
These shoots are at 14mm
View attachment 5108View attachment 5109View attachment 5110
M. Coquelin, thank you for your reply and accompanying photos. I was pleased to see there wasn’t much distortion with the 14mm Samyang. Your suggestion that cropping would solve problems was a good one. And price, of course, is a big factor. Thanks again.

Back