Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I know that has been talked about in here a few time but I am going to add in my 20 bobs worth on this.
I have never understood this and I am not a person who can read u about things and get what it means right away.
I watch a Youtube thing where the man was talking about this and it sort of made sense to me in a way this is.

Living across the road from a local wetlands it makes testing so much easier.
Camera was set up just how it was said to do. I went to take my 1st shot and the lines popped and adjusting the camera as it was said to do and
then bit by bit the image came though and I check it out and I was a little dark to m liking but it was there and clear.

After a little over 200 shots I thought I would of have a good mix to tell if it was good enough to keep using this or forget about it.
So from what I got out of it was that quite a few shots needed lighten up, but I do feel in time that once learnt fully this need to lighten shots will be far less.
In the wash up of this I think if I was to use it each and every shot I take will need to edited in some way.
I never set out and still have not get the feeling's I need to sell photo's and Jpegs suit me fine.

If I ever get into the Sony A7 R mark 4 I think I would look at going to RAW and then I would use this Zebra mode.
But just remember I am not in any way technical so this is in the way I see and read it.

I use zebra mode all the time for flower photos. I start over exposed and dial it back to where the only zebras are in the white highlights.
I find zebra mode kind of distracting when shooting events/people though. I prefer to take a test shot and then use exp compensation to go +/- as situation calls for.
I know you're birds and wildlife, so did you find it distracting?

I use zebra mode all the time for flower photos. I start over exposed and dial it back to where the only zebras are in the white highlights.
I find zebra mode kind of distracting when shooting events/people though. I prefer to take a test shot and then use exp compensation to go +/- as situation calls for.
I know you're birds and wildlife, so did you find it distracting?
I think I really could handle it in the situation of flowers and with birds that are sitting there waiting for a free feed.
As I did get a few in this position and I still need to work on it but this was more down to me being a 1st time user.
When I am out I use my shutter speed to dial in the correct lighting exposure and I think for me even if this is wrong it works for me.
Yes you are forever changing it but this is what I have been doing since this camera came to me and I am sure when I had my old Sony 390
I was doing the same thing then to.
I really can see the benefits of this but will wait for the new camera if it ever comes.

I experimented with it for a while, and still have it assigned to C3 for quick access, but I find it more irritating than useful most of the time. The metering on the A7Riv is pretty accurate, so its not needed so much

I experimented with it for a while, and still have it assigned to C3 for quick access, but I find it more irritating than useful most of the time. The metering on the A7Riv is pretty accurate, so its not needed so much
Thanks for that information. It has come in handy for the future.

I find zebras super helpful for my sunset photos. I can dial in exactly what should be blown out and make sure I'm getting as much collected in the dark areas as possible without losing too much of the sky and around the sun.

I find zebras super helpful for my sunset photos. I can dial in exactly what should be blown out and make sure I'm getting as much collected in the dark areas as possible without losing too much of the sky and around the sun.
All of this is helping me lean just what and how this can and will work for me. And I do thank you for this as it some part I would never have thought to use this. And it all is helping me as well.

Back