Birds Your first bird pic - time to reminisce?

Geo C

Followers
Following
Name
George
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Edinburgh
Can you remember, and do you still have, a copy of your first bird pic?

This is a Dunnock taken in about 1969, camera was Practica Super TL, lens Vivitar 400mm f5.6 - manual focus, no AF in those days!! Probably Ilford FP4 125 ASA (now ISO) film.

Still have the print which shows very little ageing. Still have the original lens in my collection.

First Dunnock.jpg

Last edited:
I shot these about a month after I got my first camera (A7 IV with 24-105) - so - last fall.
A7408651.jpg
A7408660.jpg
A7408667.jpg
A7408668.jpg

I was concerned that this young cormorant might be stranded because he was sitting on a horizontal beam that extends under a pier. I saw him there over several successive days, and I didn't see any other birds like it in the local vicinity. I could have reached out and touched it, and it seemed unconcerned at my presence.

I sent these photos to the local wildlife rescue organization. They assured me that not only was this little creature healthy but that it was not unusual for them to hang about in the same location (seemingly vulnerable) for days at a time.

Last edited:
Can you remember, and do you still have, a copy of your first bird pic?

This is a Dunnock taken in about 1969, camera was Practica Super TL, lens Vivitar 400mm f5.6 - manual focus, no AF in those days!! Probably Ilford FP4 125 ASA (now ISO) film.
Mine would also be a SuperTL with the Pentacon 50 zebra style. Took the easy way out, shooting Duck (my sister's parrot) posing in his cage. That 50 was great for closeups!

My telephoto was a Kmart Focal 200/4. My sister was slightly pregnant in another image from that first B&W roll, her daughter turns 50 next month 💚

Mine would also be a SuperTL with the Pentacon 50 zebra style. Took the easy way out, shooting Duck (my sister's parrot) posing in his cage. That 50 was great for closeups!

My telephoto was a Kmart Focal 200/4. My sister was slightly pregnant in another image from that first B&W roll, her daughter turns 50 next month 💚
Very strange. The first time I can recall specifically shooting a bird would've been with a Pentax K1000, also purchased from K-Mart, and also of a parrot, but in this case mine. Would've been about 1983 or 84. I can try to find one from the roll and take a shot of it.

Duck, Oct. 1972
PXL_20230320_040859146~2.jpg

Back