♪ Please allow me to introduce myself, I've a camera, but no clue . . . ♪

sis of Sanna

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Kaaren Thomas
I inherited a Sony a6000 (or is it ILCE 6000?) from my sister, Sanna. I haven't the foggiest as to how to use it, and little patience for manuals that assume I speak the lingo. Anyhoo, hopefully you are a patient bunch.

Hi Kaaren,
Please don’t allow this new experience to be daunting. All you must do is to remember a simple rule, which I must remind myself of regularly. That is, place my eye against the small glass window and point the large glass window toward the target. When I remember to follow this basic rule, my shots turn out fairly good… well, much better than when I do it the other way around.

Relax, you’ll be fine. We all started that way, and laugh at ourselves later when we master the drill. Play with camera a bit while reading the manual. It’s easier than you might initially think. We are all learning here on the forum by sharing our questions and experiences. And never be reluctant or embarrassed about asking simple questions, we’ve all been there and we’re willing to help.

Hopefully you won’t become an avid photography enthusiast, for it requires holding down a second part-time job to support the camera equipment expenses. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome! The a6000 is a great beginner camera, whether you want to take pictures or video. Auto mode will be your friend to begin with, but as you venture into more manual territory and you start to understand the exposure triangle, you will find that the camera has enough to offer you so you can grow with it.

When you're ready to move out of Auto, this is a good introduction to manual mode:

If you're really interested in delving into photography you might want to check out an online or in-person basic photography class. That would get you started on the basics and then some.....

Back