17 inch printer. Epson or Canon?

chriscrafford

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
I am considering investing in a new printer to print high quality inkjet prints, both color and black and white. Any recommendations or experiences with current offerings from Epson, Canon or others. My past experience is mostly with Epson. The big downside in the past was keeping the nozzles clean. With Canon i have had terrible paper handling issues. Any recommendations or feedback on current top line 17in printers will be helpful.

Drewid

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 17, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Lincolnshire
I was once told by the Canon printer service centre the best Canon model was an Epson!!

Reactions: chriscrafford

AlphaArt

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 10, 2020
Name
Julie
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Leicestershire
I have always been a fan of Epson printers and despite not doing much printing for a year, the nozzles still clean. I do have a Canon A3 printer as well and had no issues with this either. Where you have to be careful is with the thickness of paper. On my Canon I can print on 400gsm but the Epson will struggle with more than 300gsm however every year things change so always research.

chriscrafford

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
I have always been a fan of Epson printers and despite not doing much printing for a year, the nozzles still clean. I do have a Canon A3 printer as well and had no issues with this either. Where you have to be careful is with the thickness of paper. On my Canon I can print on 400gsm but the Epson will struggle with more than 300gsm however every year things change so always research.
Good feedback thank you. I have been researching this and one obersvation I have made is that almost every Youtube video on Fine Art/High quality Photo printing uses or recommends the Canon P-1000. It does appear to be a very good printer with great print quality as well better paper handling. The other item at this level is that the Canon Printhead can be replaced if it fails, but the nearest Epson is basically done if the print head fails. I am leaning toward the Canon currently.

Reactions: AlphaArt

SteveK

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 5, 2020
Name
Steve Keltner
Country
United States
City/State
Kennewick
I have the Pro-100 13x19 and it is very good. Great color, contrast, and not to bad on print cost. It is a dye based printer so not "pro" or fine art level of printing. I have been looking into adding the Pro-1000, but the cost to run it is pretty steap. A set of ink will run you about $650. Check out Jose Rodriquez...he is a print guru and has comparisons for Canon an Epson. https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949/featured

Reactions: chriscrafford

chriscrafford

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
I have the Pro-100 13x19 and it is very good. Great color, contrast, and not to bad on print cost. It is a dye based printer so not "pro" or fine art level of printing. I have been looking into adding the Pro-1000, but the cost to run it is pretty steap. A set of ink will run you about $650. Check out Jose Rodriquez...he is a print guru and has comparisons for Canon an Epson. https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949/featured
I took the plunge and bought the Pro-1000. The results I am getting are outstanding. It is not cheap, but using good paper and proper setup yields stunning prints. So far I have use multiple Hahnemuhle papers with excellent results.

Reactions: SteveK

SteveK

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 5, 2020
Name
Steve Keltner
Country
United States
City/State
Kennewick
I took the plunge and bought the Pro-1000. The results I am getting are outstanding. It is not cheap, but using good paper and proper setup yields stunning prints. So far I have use multiple Hahnemuhle papers with excellent results.
Excellent. I think I will wait a bit since Canon has released "replacements" for the 10 (300) and 100 (200) in the last year, I suspect a 1000 replacement is right around the corner...which will make the 1000 price drop, but they are really hard to find new so I may have to do something soon. :)

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.