4K Monitor

NightBreed

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ian
Hi everyone, just wondering what 4K monitors do people use? I realise I could pay just under £1000 for a BenQ SW271 27" Monitor but what other suggestions does everyone have please? I prefer 27" instead of 32" due to space.

It will be used for photos from the A1 (hopefully when it turns up!)

Man, I am still sorting through all the answers to this one. LOL I am thinking of going up to a 32" 4K and wonder 1) is anyone here there and which monitor gets them breathing hard? Old Kris will be around next month and I am counting on him to help out but want to offer a suggestion or two. Isn't that always how it is?

I'm fortunate to have a 4K Monitor (Dell) but you also have to consider the Graphics Adapter (Video Card) the feeds it. You just really need a great display to view your great photos!

I can’t do 4k yet as I desire to keep my 2k 144mhz refresh rate for gaming.

A 144mhz at 4k monitor, prices are a joke.

Being a basic prole, refresh rate means little to me. They are all stills. o)

Last edited:
With the advent of 8k stuff, 4k will come down in price. To be honest, it's cheaper to buy a 4k TV and use that :)

Being a basic prole refresh rye means little to me. They are all stills. o)
Totally get that, gaming is expensive hobby No.2 for me

Last edited:
I don't think that these days, especially on an OLED screen, thta there's too much of an issue with that, and you can adjust of course. That said, you can get a colour calibrated BENQ for about the same money.

BENQ, the photographer's ones are ~US$1K and up here.

BenQ 32" BenQ320, for the 50mpx files of A1 anything less is a sin. Use it in Portrait orientation and no more (desk) space problem

Aye, lad, there's the rub.
Still not bad really, and to be honest, there are lesser models with near identical spec that are just as capable and are half that price. I'm currently considering whether to upgrade my existing laptop, or to go Mac Mini M1 and 4K Screen. I reckon I could do the latter for just over 1k.

I detest Mac but must admit that the Cupertino crowd set the world on its ear with the M1 chip. Intel, AMD, where were you? And that M1 driven laptop has to be wonderful. However, as good as the Mac laptop may be with its purloined OS I would be locked into closed architecture and rigid software options and a small screen. So I think I will stay with the Linux and MS world where I have greater say and greater choices in hardware and software. Intel or AMD has to come up with an M1 beater with RISC. And while I will champion Mac for developing the M1 I am not eager to pay obesience at the altar in Cupertino. As for screens, the topic, I will have to find something with true color and affordable price.

BenQ 32" BenQ320, for the 50mpx files of A1 anything less is a sin. Use it in Portrait orientation and no more (desk) space problem

I think I will continue doing my Pater Nosters on Saturday. ;o) I like my work but not enough to fork over US$2K. Bad enough what I have pissed off on two Sonys and four Leicas. And lenses. I have to draw the line somewhere. Anyone have a pencil I can borrow? I am not sure I can reciprocate on monitors as much as I would like to indulge myself with the 320. É uma vergonha.

I detest Mac but must admit that the Cupertino crowd set the world on its ear with the M1 chip. Intel, AMD, where were you? And that M1 driven laptop has to be wonderful. However, as good as the Mac laptop may be with its purloined OS I would be locked into closed architecture and rigid software options and a small screen. So I think I will stay with the Linux and MS world where I have greater say and greater choices in hardware and software. Intel or AMD has to come up with an M1 beater with RISC. And while I will champion Mac for developing the M1 I am not eager to pay obesience at the altar in Cupertino. As for screens, the topic, I will have to find something with true color and affordable price.
This is why I am considering the Mini, because you can add whatever screen you want, and price wise it's not so bad. I started on Macs, and still have a 10 year old iMac, which I don't currently use, but agree that being tied into the locked architecture is a pain.

This is why I am considering the Mini, because you can add whatever screen you want, and price wise it's not so bad. I started on Macs, and still have a 10 year old iMac, which I don't currently use, but agree that being tied into the locked architecture is a pain.

That's the rub. At the Linux end it is all open architecture and lots of good free software. MS is the major market for software and the selection is large and good. Apple/Mac could possibly have the best photo-editing software. But on principle I do not like the one-size-fits-all of the Cupertino autocracy. Their gear is gorgeous. They have some great IE's working on their designs. But it is the autocratic arrogance that sticks in my throat.

Now if I can just find a good monitor. BENQ makes a lot of them of various qualities. But, try and find a graphics card. Yikes! After Christmas. Then shop for a monitor.

Last edited:
That's the rub. At the Linux end it is all open architecture and lots of good free software. MS is the major market for software and the selection is large and good. Apple/Mac could possibly have the best photo-editing software. But on principle I do not like the one-size-fits-all of the Cupertino autocracy. Their gear is gorgeous. They have some great IE's working on their designs. But it is the autocratic arrogance that sticks in my throat.

Now if I can just find a good monitor. BENQ makes a lot of them of various qualities. But, try and find a graphics card. Yikes! After Christmas. Then shop for a monitor.
Have a look at ASUS Pro Art, certified calibration and less than £500 for a 27"

I've used Intel/AMD self built Pc's and Macbook Pro laptops. I just like it how Mac's work and how simply for me they are to use. I used to 'hate' the fact they cost ££££ but i've had my last Macbook for a long time. I prefer using Apple's software platform to a windows based PC now.

Could you find a cheaper monitor and calibrate it to be truer in colour? Do you have to draw the line at a good 4k monitor when you have such good and expensive hardware like the Sony's and Leica's plus lenses?

I wish you luck in finding a graphics card for a good price as the market is so overinflated in the pricing at the moment due to lack of supply.

It gets great reviews. Santa better get his act together, and bring a card, too. Thanks.

I've used Intel/AMD self built Pc's and Macbook Pro laptops. I just like it how Mac's work and how simply for me they are to use. I used to 'hate' the fact they cost ££££ but i've had my last Macbook for a long time. I prefer using Apple's software platform to a windows based PC now.

Could you find a cheaper monitor and calibrate it to be truer in colour? Do you have to draw the line at a good 4k monitor when you have such good and expensive hardware like the Sony's and Leica's plus lenses?

I wish you luck in finding a graphics card for a good price as the market is so overinflated in the pricing at the moment due to lack of supply.

I work mostly in Linux on the assumption that it is safer. I dislike Apple for its attitude of "We're better than you." They act like a bunch of unreconstructed Nazis. Remember, I lived in Silicon Valley for 20 years. I know these guys. The IE part of the product is great. And after decades they have a good chip, a great chip. Hat's off to them for that. But on principle I prefer Linux/MS for its pedestrian, proletarian "you can get hardware and software anywhere" approach as opposed to the monopolistic cant of the Cupertino crowd. Whether their software is better or not is debatable. I worked with recording editors for years and found Magix Samplitude to be the one. There was debate on the BBS about whose software was better. Samplitude and Sequoia were the choice of the big pros. Easy to work with and powerful. Not on Mac.

If Mac were clearly superior the choice would be for Mac. At this time I can put the money into a good monitor and card and not have to buy a Mac. If I were to go Mac that is ~US$1K out the window and now add in the software. That is not cheap. Software is where the money is. Ask Bill Gates. I think the new M1 will be like Gillette selling razors cheap, and killing you on razor blades. Software could be the razor blades of the Apple world.

Regardless, this is about monitors and that ASUS has great reviews. I may sell the dog. LOL

I am currently using a 15" 2018 MacBook Pro plugged into an LG 24" 4K Thunderbolt 3 monitor. I love it! In a couple or three months or so, whenever I swap out the 15" 2018 MBP with a new M1 MBP Pro, it'll be a simple matter of plugging the monitor into the new machine and that's that.

Having had various sizes of monitors over the years, I came to the conclusion that for me the "sweet spot" is 24". 21.5" is too small and 27" is too big.

I am currently using a 15" 2018 MacBook Pro plugged into an LG 24" 4K Thunderbolt 3 monitor. I love it! In a couple or three months or so, whenever I swap out the 15" 2018 MBP with a new M1 MBP Pro, it'll be a simple matter of plugging the monitor into the new machine and that's that.

Having had various sizes of monitors over the years, I came to the conclusion that for me the "sweet spot" is 24". 21.5" is too small and 27" is too big.

We can't all love the same woman. I am currently using a Dell 27" and could handle a 32". I do not think I could go back to a 24". And I wonder if a 32" is wise for me.

Switching monitors between machines is always easy. They use standard plugs and the drivers are universal.

Last edited:
We can't all love the same woman. I am currently using a Dell 27" and could handle a 32". I do not think I could go back to a 24". And I wonder if a 32" is wise for me.

Switching monitors between machines is always easy. The use standard plugs and the drivers are universal.
I too have a 27" 4K Dell monitor that I acquired about a year ago. At the time I lusted over a 32 but my monitor sits under a credenza shelf and is a bit crowded. Being able to view my images as well of so many others on this forum is a real treat. Bigger is not always better. I am thrilled with this monitor as well as the NVIDIA adapter that runs it. This adapter is so large it has to have an external support to keep it from sagging in the case!

Last edited:
Do you mean the SW320? That is the monitor I use for photo work, calibrated with an xRite calibrator. Not cheap, but a good monitor (and significantly cheaper than the Eizo photography monitors!). There is an SW321 now, though.

Do you mean the SW320? That is the monitor I use for photo work, calibrated with an xRite calibrator. Not cheap, but a good monitor (and significantly cheaper than the Eizo photography monitors!). There is an SW321 now, though.
Yes, SW320. The current SW321 has an USB-C display input now. Very happy with it. Use it for tethered studio sessions too (standing desk on wheels with Mac-Mini 2018 beneath), allows my portrait clients to immediately see the last picture taken and understand the posture corrections needed.

I too have a 27" 4K Dell monitor that I squired about a year ago. At the time I lusted over a 32 but my monitor sits under a credenza shelf and is a bit crowded. Being able to view my images as well of so many others on this forum is a real treat. Bigger is not always better. I am thrilled with this monitor as well as the NVIDIA adapter that runs it. This adapter is so large it has to have an external support to keep it from sagging in the case!

First of all, get rid of that damned credenza, man! LMAO OK, what is a display adapter? I am not the brightest bear in the woods.

You guys keep costing me money. LOL Found a Asus ProArt PA278CV on sale for US$387, thank you very much. And I have a credit at that store from the A7M III which dropped in price US$300 right after I bought it. Now a card. What's a good photo editing card? Do not care about gaming. Thanks for the monitor help.

Back