70-200/2.8 GM not focusing

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

cdd29

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
craig
Troubleshooting time. I've had my new to me 70-200/2.8 for a few weeks but haven't played with it much. Tonight was playtime at my daughter's concert. Several times, less than 1/4, I would push the shutter to focus and it wouldn't do anything. No AF assist light, no beep, no nothing. Hit it again and it's fine. It would hunt a little here and there, but that's expected some (low light). Bought it from a shop used, so there's a warranty. Before I make that phone call I am going to do more testing and see how often I can replicate it. Never had this with any of my other lenses, so inclined to think it's the used lens. Any one run into this, specifically with the 70-200/2.8 GM?

The only thing I can think of is if you accidentally pressed one of the buttons on the lens. If you have not programmed the buttons, then the default setting is to do a focus lock.

I would always start by cleaning the contacts on the lens and the body.

Firmware is 5.0. I tried updating it but got this...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 27
Who and when did you buy it from? It sounds like you might need a Sony intervention or a refund or exchange.

I've just had it a few weeks and bought it at a local (well, an hour away) camera shop. THey've got a warranty and stand behind their stuff, but not sure how they'll handle it. They had some other used 70-200's but they don't have any more listed, so I doubt an exchange is possible unless they'd credit this towards a new one, if they have any.

Finally got the firmware to update to 6.0, so we'll see if that changes anything.

Finally got the firmware to update to 6.0, so we'll see if that changes anything.
if you were indoors and the light was low did you turn off live view? because its a must for low light shooting indoors, just a thought I could well be wrong

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back