Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Went on a small hike with my cousins to find a little waterfall here in Jamaica on Christmas Eve. This is Christmas in Jamaica, sunshine, water, scenery and bugs 😅

First shot here was handheld:
DSC08992_edit.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 10-18mm F4 OSS
  • 15.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 800

These next ones, I braced my hand against a rock for a longer exposure:
DSC08986_edit.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 10-18mm F4 OSS
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2 sec
  • ISO 100

DSC08988_edit.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 10-18mm F4 OSS
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2 sec
  • ISO 100

I don't like the Chromatic Aberration from this lens, its not the first time I have seen it. I wish I had remembered to take my CPL or VND filter, though I am not sure if they would have cut down on that particular optical flaw. Half a second ended up being sufficient to smooth out the water flow anyway. longer exposure would have required the use of a real tripod.

Tried to cover up that chromatic aberration with a lens flare "effect" in photoshop express, but I think it looks a bit too fake 😅
DSC08988_edit2.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 10-18mm F4 OSS
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2 sec
  • ISO 100

Nice shots. That'd be a tough situation for any lens. Exposing properly for the waterfall is going to push the limits up in the sky.

Nice shots. That'd be a tough situation for any lens. Exposing properly for the waterfall is going to push the limits up in the sky.
I hear you! What would you suggest in a case like this? Bracketing the exposures and blend in post?

Won't Photoshop clean it up? CA can usually be fixed in post. If you aren't sure, recompose to remove some of the brighter spots out. The composition in your second shot is nice, maybe a little tight, but you could have backed out a bit and still kept the problems areas to a minimum.

@Brownie eh, I only have PhotoShop Elements now, it doesn't have the tools I would normally have used to remove CA that are available in the full version. I will look some more later, since this lens seems prone to the effect.

Back