Sony A1 A little fun reading :)

The write-up for the Z7II describes it as Nikon’s flagship camera - that didn’t last long…

And before you say “it’s only including cameras you can get”, let me point out that the article includes the A7IV.

What's crazy is listing the A7 IV as the best 'midrange' camera. Yeah, I know, things are what they are. But who of us ever thought it'd take $2500 to get into midrange, or for that matter $6500 to get to the top of the line? On the surface it all sounds so ridiculous.

What's crazy is listing the A7 IV as the best 'midrange' camera. Yeah, I know, things are what they are. But who of us ever thought it'd take $2500 to get into midrange, or for that matter $6500 to get to the top of the line? On the surface it all sounds so ridiculous.
Over a decade ago I bought the then top of the line 35mm DSLR (the Canon 1Ds III) and it cost me a higher number than the A1 did this year. Not talking equivalent dollars, talking actual dollars. So, no, I do not consider it ridiculous at all.

I think some are shocked at the price of the A1 because Sony didn’t have a top of the line camera until now.

Or is your surprise that the A1 is so cheap?

Over a decade ago I bought the then top of the line 35mm DSLR (the Canon 1Ds III) and it cost me a higher number than the A1 did this year. Not talking equivalent dollars, talking actual dollars. So, no, I do not consider it ridiculous at all.

I think some are shocked at the price of the A1 because Sony didn’t have a top of the line camera until now.

Or is your surprise that the A1 is so cheap?
It's expected that earlier models would be expensive as the technology was younger. I think about the quality cameras on the market for $1000-2000 over the last several years, and I think about the shrinking camera market. It strikes me that the manufacturer's are struggling to recoup their R&D money and are compensating by eking out every dime rather than making them more appealing to the masses. Or, perhaps the reality is they recognize that they no longer appeal to most people.

Be glad we're buying camera bodies and not fancy watches. :)

IMO the new Nikon Z9 is downright cheap for what it delivers. I think the A1 is priced fairly considering it it such a high performance beast in many disciplines.

Now that the entry level camera market has been decimated I think we'll continue to see a move upmarket in price and capability from Sony/Fuji/Nikon/Canon

Non-camera people don't think twice about buying a $1200 phone these days and oftentimes the replacement cycle is much faster than with camera bodies.

Be glad we're buying camera bodies and not fancy watches. :)

IMO the new Nikon Z9 is downright cheap for what it delivers. I think the A1 is priced fairly considering it it such a high performance beast in many disciplines.

Now that the entry level camera market has been decimated I think we'll continue to see a move upmarket in price and capability from Sony/Fuji/Nikon/Canon

Non-camera people don't think twice about buying a $1200 phone these days and oftentimes the replacement cycle is much faster than with camera bodies.
Very true. In fact, I can't understand why anyone still makes P-n-S. With the entire market being as it is, one would think entry level would be gone, at least as far as fixed lens cameras go.

Back