a lot of hype around Topaz AI products?

I also wonder if the impact the software makes is dependent upon the camera used. Does the A7iv get more benefit than an A7iii for some reason?
I suspect the Topaz software is not concerned about the camera itself, but rather the degree of quality and/or noise in the image. Big sensors (ie. 60meg) obviously deliver more detail and accuracy - POTENTIALLY. But poor imagery can result from even the best cameras if conditions are poor or capture mistakes are made (and I make lots of them). Dynamic Range, stabilization features, etc. can compensate somewhat.

I think lighting and stability during capture have more to do with image quality (vs camera type) and in turn how well the software can handle the the denoise, sharpening, etc. Although larger sensors potentially capture more detail, accuracy, depth --- they can also accentuate or exaggerate flaws, noise and other factors that compromise the image quality.

I use Topaz DeNoise AI and Topaz Sharpen AI quite a bit; especially in situations where I was forced to raise ISO a lot.

One thing I noticed is that it tends to kill some of the fine details if you overdo it. I usually don't choose the default settings; find the sweet spot after a lot of trial and error.

I have also purchased Topaz Adjust AI and I find it kinda useless; it makes my photos look unreal (in software terms, over-engineered).

Last edited:
I've been using it since earlier this year and it has been quite useful. Usually I would go with Denoise-Ai mode, set to Auto nd reduce sharpness as I feel it over sharpens my images.

However, since the last major update (2.3 I reckon) I've been disappointed. I've been using AI Clear mode more often as the first one is regularly creating artifacts specially on the backgrounds.

Back