Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I hesitate to call this a "review" because there is a wealth of information available online already. Instead, here are my impressions of the A6700, coming from 4 years of A6400 use.

DSC05418.jpg
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN | Contemporary C 017
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/15 sec
  • ISO 1000

Image quality: Let's rip the bandaid off right away, the new 26MP sensor doesn't really offer an immediately obvious advantage over the outgoing 24MP sensor. There is still noise and pixel-peeping will only reward you with frustration. I need more time with the camera to determine if the dynamic range has been improved to the point where I notice it in editing RAW images.

That said, the AUTOFOCUS is amazing! quick, snappy, sticky, it doesn't lose sight of my subject as long as the correct type of subject is selected in menu options: human/animal/bird/insect/car/train.

Video quality: There are now H264, H265 codecs to choose from and S Cinetone is supposed to be available and you can record 4K in 24, 30, 60, and 120 fps (NTSC settings). I need more practice here, but a short clip I did in H264, 4k30 seemed quite clear.

Viewfinder/EVF: remains unchanged.

Rear view screen: Its now a flippy screen (fully articulated) and fully touch compatible, both of which are nice. What I didn't like is that out of the box its configured for many on-screen options that I ended up disabling. The screen isn't any bigger than before, so don't crowd my screen with crap please SONY. I also do not like that if I flip the screen inwards to protect it, it turns off the camera. I'm sure there is an option which controls this, and I'll be turning that off so I can save some battery life when I'm covering an event and only plan to use the EVF.

IBIS: I never had IBIS, or stabilization in video, before with the a6400 so I have no complaints here! I notice that in video there is Normal and Active Stabilization, but no Dynamic Stabilization which would add further digital stability at the cost of a minor crop. Pity. I think the hardware is capable of it, but they're using the cripple-hammer to segment their offerings. I bet the A7C-II has it...

Ergonomics: Here is where every small difference between the a6400 and the A6700 makes a difference. The A6700 is thicker and heavier than the a6400, but it feels good in the hands. Part of the reason is that we now have the bigger Z battery and thus a deeper grip. The height of the camera is not much different, so my pinky finger still hangs off the bottom of the camera (I'm used to it now). The sd card slot is now on the left side of the body, so no need to use the battery door to access it (this is gonna be great for using the PD Micro-clutch).

The power switch is positioned slightly different from previous a6xxx cameras so that the index finger finds only the front dial when the camera power switch is in the "on" position. Makes sense to me. That new front dial is not very prominent, so beware if you're wearing gloves. That said, I'm getting the hang of it and I've configured it for ISO so I don't need to use the rear scroll wheel for that.

Final note on ergonomics, the new photo/video/S&Q dial: it just makes sense to me. You now have the ability to modify/save all settings relative to the mode you're in. More importantly though, you can turn off mirrored settings when flipping between modes. Previously, you might be in photo mode exp 1/160, ISO 400, f4 and then when you switch to video, you have these same settings which you would immediately need to change. NOW if I switch between photo and video in M mode, it remembers my last settings relative to photo or video; so i can quickly swap between shooting 1/160 ISO 100 f2.8 to taking video at 1/60, ISO auto, f4. TRUST ME this is a timesaver. There are also 3 memory recall slots if you want to set that up ahead of time.

About the only negative thing I have to say about the new camera is that its my first foray into the "new" Sony menu system. I hate it, but to be fair I'm just so used to the old menu and I have to keep an open mind and learn the damned thing. So, not entirely Sony's fault 😅 Thankfully the FN button is still where I expect it and I made sure to set this up first.

I'll try to post up some random test photos straight out of camera in unmodified jpegs.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I still own and use a 6400 as a light walk around camera and get some good results from it. I tend to use the A1 for specific nature work so I'm unlikely to go to a 6700 anytime soon. I find your comments interesting though.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. Most of your issues seem to be related to being used to the previous model so once you get the hang of the 6700 you will end enjoying it a lot for sure!

Thank you guys.
Greg @Slug keep your a6400, unless you want IBIS in your lightweight setup.
Tony @AlphaWorld thanks for the guidance!
Alex @alexpler for sure, it is a great camera and I just need to get out there and take more photos!

Sounds like it was tough for you to 'cheat' on the A6400 mate. Four years, I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy.
The a6400 was my first ILC, so I owe it some loyalty, but the only reason I didn't upgrade sooner or go to full frame is because I'm cheap :ROFLMAO:

The a6400 was my first ILC, so I owe it some loyalty, but the only reason I didn't upgrade sooner or go to full frame is because I'm cheap :ROFLMAO:
In my opinion, there wasn’t a real replacement for the A6400 until the arrival of the A6700, AND the A6700 is a solid upgrade - you get a lot more from it.

thanks for the review, look forward to some pics. This camera is on my maybe list for 2024

The first photos taken with the new camera were of my cats: they're great subjects, don't complain much at all. I'll post straight out of camera jpegs and then raws that I edited with basic sliders (no denoising):

Note, the first picture was against a backlit window shade which gave me a chance to see how the highlight slider would work with the raw file.
DSC00003.JPG
  • ILCE-6700
  • 56mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary 018
  • 56.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 500

DSC00003.1.jpg
  • Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C
  • 56.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 500

I don't think this photo needed much editing, black cats can be difficult to photograph sometimes but thankfully there was enough light in the kitchen.
DSC00006.JPG
  • ILCE-6700
  • 56.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 6400

DSC00006.1.jpg
  • 56.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 6400

I love this lazy bag of fur...
DSC00007.JPG
  • ILCE-6700
  • 56.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 2000
DSC00007.1.jpg
  • 56.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 2000

I hesitate to call this a "review" because there is a wealth of information available online already. Instead, here are my impressions of the A6700, coming from 4 years of A6400 use.

View attachment 52418

Image quality: Let's rip the bandaid off right away, the new 26MP sensor doesn't really offer an immediately obvious advantage over the outgoing 24MP sensor. There is still noise and pixel-peeping will only reward you with frustration. I need more time with the camera to determine if the dynamic range has been improved to the point where I notice it in editing RAW images.

That said, the AUTOFOCUS is amazing! quick, snappy, sticky, it doesn't lose sight of my subject as long as the correct type of subject is selected in menu options: human/animal/bird/insect/car/train.

Video quality: There are now H264, H265 codecs to choose from and S Cinetone is supposed to be available and you can record 4K in 24, 30, 60, and 120 fps (NTSC settings). I need more practice here, but a short clip I did in H264, 4k30 seemed quite clear.

Viewfinder/EVF: remains unchanged.

Rear view screen: Its now a flippy screen (fully articulated) and fully touch compatible, both of which are nice. What I didn't like is that out of the box its configured for many on-screen options that I ended up disabling. The screen isn't any bigger than before, so don't crowd my screen with crap please SONY. I also do not like that if I flip the screen inwards to protect it, it turns off the camera. I'm sure there is an option which controls this, and I'll be turning that off so I can save some battery life when I'm covering an event and only plan to use the EVF.

IBIS: I never had IBIS, or stabilization in video, before with the a6400 so I have no complaints here! I notice that in video there is Normal and Active Stabilization, but no Dynamic Stabilization which would add further digital stability at the cost of a minor crop. Pity. I think the hardware is capable of it, but they're using the cripple-hammer to segment their offerings. I bet the A7C-II has it...

Ergonomics: Here is where every small difference between the a6400 and the A6700 makes a difference. The A6700 is thicker and heavier than the a6400, but it feels good in the hands. Part of the reason is that we now have the bigger Z battery and thus a deeper grip. The height of the camera is not much different, so my pinky finger still hangs off the bottom of the camera (I'm used to it now). The sd card slot is now on the left side of the body, so no need to use the battery door to access it (this is gonna be great for using the PD Micro-clutch).

The power switch is positioned slightly different from previous a6xxx cameras so that the index finger finds only the front dial when the camera power switch is in the "on" position. Makes sense to me. That new front dial is not very prominent, so beware if you're wearing gloves. That said, I'm getting the hang of it and I've configured it for ISO so I don't need to use the rear scroll wheel for that.

Final note on ergonomics, the new photo/video/S&Q dial: it just makes sense to me. You now have the ability to modify/save all settings relative to the mode you're in. More importantly though, you can turn off mirrored settings when flipping between modes. Previously, you might be in photo mode exp 1/160, ISO 400, f4 and then when you switch to video, you have these same settings which you would immediately need to change. NOW if I switch between photo and video in M mode, it remembers my last settings relative to photo or video; so i can quickly swap between shooting 1/160 ISO 100 f2.8 to taking video at 1/60, ISO auto, f4. TRUST ME this is a timesaver. There are also 3 memory recall slots if you want to set that up ahead of time.

About the only negative thing I have to say about the new camera is that its my first foray into the "new" Sony menu system. I hate it, but to be fair I'm just so used to the old menu and I have to keep an open mind and learn the damned thing. So, not entirely Sony's fault 😅 Thankfully the FN button is still where I expect it and I made sure to set this up first.

I'll try to post up some random test photos straight out of camera in unmodified jpegs.
Just got my A6700 copy today along with the 18-135 and 70-350G. Man those lenses are surprisingly sharp. I set up all settings to taste as well as custom buttons so I'll rarely need to access any menu. The color science of this camera is very admirable indeed. I'm surprised I read so many complaints about the EVF as it's plenty sharp with no lag and fine detail for shooting purposes. Very bright as well.

Just got my A6700 copy today along with the 18-135 and 70-350G. Man those lenses are surprisingly sharp. I set up all settings to taste as well as custom buttons so I'll rarely need to access any menu. The color science of this camera is very admirable indeed. I'm surprised I read so many complaints about the EVF as it's plenty sharp with no lag and fine detail for shooting purposes. Very bright as well.
The 18-135 is a great kit lens, compact and versatile. The 70-350 is another great lens, but one I've not tried yet.
I think the only people who complain about the APSC EVF are those used to the size of the full-frame cameras. It gets the job done.

You may recall due to a bad copy of a 70-350G I had to return the entire kit. The new kit fortunately yielded 2 very sharp competent lenses. I got crazy and added a 200-600G to try out as the Nikon 180-600 I ordered would not have been here till around June as they are horribly backordered. So far the 200-600 has been impressive. I would recommend the 70-350G as well as it's so light and small for a 100-525mm equivalent range lens. The Canon is $2900 and isn't any sharper as I owned one when I had a Canon R5 for a bit. Here's a cat shot taken from across the street on my A6700, and a moon shot handheld no less during the afternoon today with the 200-600G lens. I'm warming up to this setup.
DSC00570.jpg
  • ILCE-6700
  • E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200
_DSC2253.jpeg
  • ILCE-6700
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

You may recall due to a bad copy of a 70-350G I had to return the entire kit. The new kit fortunately yielded 2 very sharp competent lenses. I got crazy and added a 200-600G to try out as the Nikon 180-600 I ordered would not have been here till around June as they are horribly backordered. So far the 200-600 has been impressive. I would recommend the 70-350G as well as it's so light and small for a 100-525mm equivalent range lens. The Canon is $2900 and isn't any sharper as I owned one when I had a Canon R5 for a bit. Here's a cat shot taken from across the street on my A6700, and a moon shot handheld no less during the afternoon today with the 200-600G lens. I'm warming up to this setup. View attachment 54157View attachment 54159
Wow, both have so much detail, very sharp!

Thanks. I was surprised it came out so well. Just hand held aimed and shot. I've done it with a Sigma 150-600 DG DN that also was good, but a notch under this one. My Z9 and 100-400S lens do this well but not presenting such a nice large image. So far so good with this A6700 and 200-600G combo

Back