Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
FL
I have been using a Sony a7 ii for over a year now and have never gotten any "tack sharp" images when zoomed to 100% or 200% in Lightroom. At the time we were travelling and I was taking mostly landscape shots mostly on tripod. The much praised AF isn't that sharp and the manual focus isn't too much better. Has anyone had similar experiences with their a7 iii?

I have been using a Sony a7 ii for over a year now and have never gotten any "tack sharp" images when zoomed to 100% or 200% in Lightroom. At the time we were travelling and I was taking mostly landscape shots mostly on tripod. The much praised AF isn't that sharp and the manual focus isn't too much better. Has anyone had similar experiences with their a7 iii?
With what lenses?

I don't have sharpness issues from my A7III. It's always for another reason.
An AF issue would give another part of the picture sharper than your subject.
Poor sharpness can also come from :
  • motion blur
  • bad optics
  • aperture above f16
Can you provider exemples ?

ISO to high in combination with high aperture? Are you in auto or manual or other priority.

Lenses: SEL2870, SEL24240, SEL90M28G, SEL2470GM
ISO almost all at 100, usually shot at F8 or 11, on tripod, 5 sometimes 10 sec delay, almost all were landscape shots while traveling to beautiful places.
Th AF hasn't been very good and the MF is better but not sharp at 100/200%. Sony tech folks agreed my sample shots (cactus and woven basket (lots of texture) on a well lit desk on tripod at 100, f8, f11, etc.) were not "tack sharp" as they described it. I sent it in for warranty repairs 3 times to replace the sensor 2x, and the entire shutter and IBIS mechanisms. Immediately after the third repair covid hit and Sony shut down their tech service and I couldn't speak to the tech rep, my only source for help. I once again combed the reviews and blogs etc and couldn't find anyone with similar sharpness issues. I then dug my financial hole deeper and bought a fourth lens, the SEL2470GM listed above, and the clarity improved but still not "tack sharp" in Sony lingo. I also recently rented a SEL70200GM and saw a noticable improvement, but still not what should be expected. I think I just have a lemon camera.
Additionally, over my travels I bumped into many fellow photographers who tell me they can regularly get good sharpness well beyond 200%...
I also sent a letter to the Pres and COO of Sony Electronics in NY asking for help and never received any sort of response.
I don't want to start a storm of what-ifs. I was simply asking if there were any users out there who had focus issues with their Sony a7 iii or iv or whatever. Before I jump ship to another a7 or one of the Z's I thought I'd check other folks experiences.
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your interest.

Last edited:
Back