A7R5 first impressions

Astacus

Followers
Following
Name
Robert Beynon
I've had the camera for just a couple of days, and want to start with the following thoughts...
  • It's a chunky beast - feels 'denser' than the A1. I like the three configurable dials.
  • The menu system is fine - but there's a lot more in it.
  • I really, really enjoyed doing the firmware update from an SD card. About time! At one stage, I was running a Windows VM on my Mac just to use the Windows updater. May those days be numbered.
  • Not really used it yet, other than a bit of garden bird photography (the weather is vile). The bird AF (my main interest) is remarkable. The A1 does well with eye-AF, but still sometimes went into 'stick priority mode'. The A7R5 seems to know that the stick is 'not bird' and grabs the eye, and holds on to it, with ease. First images look fine.
  • I haven't really noticed the value of extra mpix yet in the sensor - we'll see
  • I have yet to test the high ISO performance. I'm used to forests, needing 3200 ISO, so will be interesting to see how the 7RV handles those scenarios.
  • Using mechanical shutter (not like the A1). 10 fps is fine. Shutter blackout doesn't bother me at all.
Bottom line is that I am really quite pleased with this. It will be interesting to see how it compares with the A1 in real situations.
(EDIT: to correct stupid typos!)

A7RV bluetit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1250

Last edited by a moderator:
A fine camera for sure love mine but equally love the A1, yep for perched stuff the a7r5 is better ,but the tracking is not so sure footed but better than my a7r3 at least it does not get thrown by a confusing background,but put a really sharp lens on it and wow ,the level of detail can be eye dropping ,the cropping ability equally amazing.

Back