A7r5 or wait for A9 mk3 announcement in nov

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
thinking of swapping out my a7r3 for a a7r5 as a camera back up to my a1 when the 20-30 fps are not essential ,it ticks a lot of boxes for my uses when i am not shooting wildlife ,for instance portrait events scapes etc some nice deals on the a7r5 around to be had .If the a74 been updated with ai chip and 8 stops ibis with the multi tilt rear screen ,and stacking options it would of been my prefered user case ,as for the most part 33mp is plenty enough and has advantages for astro and low light .does anyone use the a7r5 in medium and low res modes is there a advantage as i guess other than the smaller files ,does it compensate for the green pixel used in bayer sensors ,and does it give a plus in low light usage as i gather still uses all of the sensor .Also what major announcement will we be seeing on 8th of nov guess a new 85mm portrait lens will be on the horizon one of sonys alphas ethos as camera manufacturer portrait and studio they tend to be geared in this direction

You'd probably be thrilled with the RV, but with the A9III announcement (supposedly) just a few weeks away, not sure why you wouldn't wait to see what it is.

Well, the expectation is that we'll see the A9 III, but will that be of interest to you? I suppose it's only a couple of weeks wait to discover what's coming. Of course, the announcement is only the start of the wait - then you have to wait for the camera to arrive, then for RAW support in your favourite post-processing software, ...

If they do bring out the 85mm f/1.2 GM, I'll see you in the pre-order line :)

Still, who knows - we could get the A1 mark II (ooh, yes, please!), or the A7S IV (yawn...).

And there's the pre-announced 300mm GM...

I'd think that the RV is more in line with what you want as a back up, the A9 III , if it appears, is going to be a speed demon like the A1, so it goes against your first point about using it when you don't need 20/30 fps.

I'd think that the RV is more in line with what you want as a back up, the A9 III , if it appears, is going to be a speed demon like the A1, so it goes against your first point about using it when you don't need 20/30 fps.
Assumptions! We won't know how slow it will shoot until we see it. The biggest draw for me is the rumor it's going to be a low-light beast, something the RV isn't.

Assumptions! We won't know how slow it will shoot until we see it. The biggest draw for me is the rumor it's going to be a low-light beast, something the RV isn't.
Educated guess. The A9 has always been a speed boy, and I suspect it will be good in low light thanks to a lower resolution.
We will see, I can't see it crossing RV territory in any way really though.

what do i do with my A1 ,we will see the a7rv is good for scapes the a7rv might end up being my main shooter i do not do use much high fps anymore but always handy to have on some occasions even for a lot of bif 10fps is plenty the only time i really use 30fps is on a kingfisher dive ,20 fps is all that is required i would guess a pro capture feature could be more beneficial to me if in raw with full re s,a lot depends on keeper rate though if i only get 70% of 10fps in focus it might not be adequate ,the only thing is i like shooting electronic shutter ,but my a7r3 has only 60k shutter clicks and i have had that for around 3-4 years ,so even if shoot 50000 a year it will around 6-8 years before the camera shutter life expires on the a7r5 and it has been refined alot ,by then i will be on the next .The a9 3 might not get announced even if it does it will 6mnths before it arrives

Educated guess. The A9 has always been a speed boy, and I suspect it will be good in low light thanks to a lower resolution.
We will see, I can't see it crossing RV territory in any way really though.
Oh, it'll be fast alright, they're saying the fastest camera on the market. The question is, can it be slowed? Rumors are also closer to 45MP and a low light beast. We will see.

Just a quick comment you can shoot as few frames as you want on any camera, and that will go for the a9iii, often shoot in low or medium on the a9 and am able to still shoot one frame only, it s not hard what ever the speed set

Just a quick comment you can shoot as few frames as you want on any camera, and that will go for the a9iii, often shoot in low or medium on the a9 and am able to still shoot one frame only, it s not hard what ever the speed set
Yeah, but it's not an unlimited adjustment. I'm hoping for 7-10 frames RAW

yep fair point but it staggers me how so many fixate on every detail , we have become so used to a button and quick fix for every slight adjustment that you can in the main sort yourself, I sometimes wonder if we expect too much of cameras now and are getting lazy.

yep fair point but it staggers me how so many fixate on every detail , we have become so used to a button and quick fix for every slight adjustment that you can in the main sort yourself, I sometimes wonder if we expect too much of cameras now and are getting lazy.
When I'm shooting bursts at the track I don't have a manual fix unless I trust myself to the old ways. I'm sure I'd get good at it again after some practice, seems like a lot of work and wasted clicks with no advantage. After all my testing I think 8FPS is perfect, thus my desire to be able to slow the camera to shoot 7-10.

Get an A7RV! If the RIII has served this position well for this long then you'll be very happy with the upgrade. 🚀

Get an A7RV! If the RIII has served this position well for this long then you'll be very happy with the upgrade. 🚀
it is on its way,never regreted a sony product yet well maybe the A1 that was overpriced at launch and seems to be forgotten by sony ,but that is a topic for another day blight of flagship cameras lol

well, on the A1 you can set each of Lo, Med, and Hi speeds to any multiple of 5: 5, 10, 15, 20 (Hi+ is always max speed). I’d expect an A9 iii to offer at least that much.

Maybe set Lo to 5, Med to 10, Hi to 20, and Hi+ to 50 :)

I have found that my A1 and my A7R V complement one another very nicely.....

i am hoping the same, i guess for a lot of genres the a7r5 will be superior macro,scapes and portrait ,where as the a1 will have the edge for wildlife and sports action with quicker auto focus and better frame rates.Although the a9 mk3 specs are stacking up also from rumors 40fps and 33mp but not sure i use more than 20fps for 99 % of shooting also the 33mp is plenty good and could serve well for astro i think if i needed a low light sensor performer i would look for cheaper non stacked alternatives ,but you never know i might swap in my A1 for a a9mk3 if reviews excell but i would prefer glass over camera bodies for releases

What i would like to ask is a few pointers for setting up camera for tracking subjects ,my a7r3 and my a1 had only 3 options on A1 with only 1 on the a7r3 with one option for sensitivity has it happens i prefered 1-2 on my A1 and 4-5 on the a7r3 , now the a7r5 has 6 options for subject tracking with a sensitivity setting ,then another 3 layered setting for subjects what are you guys setting for subjects ,i also mainly used zone or expanded spot on my a7r3 and my A1 also zone or small /medium focus point ,also my a7r3 mechanical shutter would not show real time in shooting 10fps i had to lower to 8 fps to get real time live in the view finder ,i guessing the a7r5 has moved on a little.

Back