Sony A9 III A9 III firmware updates for lenses

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
Anyone else a bit surprised that all six updates for 120 fps compatibility are for zoom lenses?

No firmware update requirement for primes. Not even old ones (the 85mm f/1.8?!? I bought one of those in 2016 or 2017, and only gave it away last year)

I gritted my feeth and sat down to update a firmware or two this morning. It was surprisingly simple, probably because I did it on an old Windows PC. Did all four of my affected zooms, and then checked my other lenses. Did an old update to the 135 GM (hadn't bothered before), and the 24 GM (ditto). Even updated the A1 to 1.32 (I'd taken it to 1.31).

All in all, as painless as it could be.

Despite them recommending a fully charged battery for every update, I did all the lens updates and consumed about 2% of a battery's charge!

I just paid for my a9iii, which is slated to be delivered on 2/8. SO what you are saying is I'll have to update firmware for the 70-200 II , the 100-400 and the 200-600?

I just paid for my a9iii, which is slated to be delivered on 2/8. SO what you are saying is I'll have to update firmware for the 70-200 II , the 100-400 and the 200-600?

Well, technically, no - you "only" have to update the firmware if you want to support full functionality at 120 fps. But you know you are going to want to!

You say 70-200 II - there are two 70-200 II lenses, and both need the update - the G II and the GM II.

I also had to do the 20-70. Weird how it's only zooms that need the update. No primes need updating for the A9 III.

You do not have to wait for the A9 III to apply the update, though. I did the firmware updates using an A1. It's easier to do on a Windows machine than a Mac, but either works.

Back