News New firmware for A1, A7S III, A9 III !

Cameras already have 5-axis image stabilization. From what I could tell there may be cases where certain lenses take over some of the tasks, while in other cases the camera does it all. This isn't the same as cumulative, where the two systems work together to increase stabilization. If you ever read specs for the more advanced M-4/3 cameras it will say the camera is capable of 'X' stops, with up to 'XX' stops of stabilization with certain lenses. In Sony's case there is no increase. It probably improves the effectiveness. I will keep looking and see if I can find anything more.

I've read about it in a number of places. What I cannot find is a reference from Sony about it.

The key points are that a stabilised lens corrects for pitch and yaw (2 axes - tilt up/down, and swing left/right), while IBIS corrects for roll, and displacement (up/down and left/right).

Yes. And I'm sure I read about it in Sonly literature. Might have come with the camera, might have been online, but I did see it. And yes, a body without an OSS lens does all five.

Yes. And I'm sure I read about it in Sonly literature. Might have come with the camera, might have been online, but I did see it. And yes, a body without an OSS lens does all five.
See my post above yours. They work together, but it is not additive.

Exactly - the lens takes over 2 of the axes, rather that cooperating with the IBIS on those axes. As I understand it, the reasoning is that the lens has IS tuned for the lens's focal range.

I'll be keen to hear if you find a comparison of that version with the new one. If I find anything I'll drop a link in here, too.

Exactly - the lens takes over 2 of the axes, rather that cooperating with the IBIS on those axes. As I understand it, the reasoning is that the lens has IS tuned for the lens's focal range.

I'll be keen to hear if you find a comparison of that version with the new one. If I find anything I'll drop a link in here, too.
Seems to me that all of the axes would need to tune for the lens' focal length. If you've ever shot a manual lens, there's a way to select the focal length manually since the lens and camera don't communicate.

This is intriguing, interest is piqued.

Camera Conspiracies calls out Sony for their useless firmware release. He is in his usual form.

Yes, that is what was being said.
Camera Conspiracies calls out Sony for their useless firmware release. He is in his usual form.

Very funny. Went on to watch a couple more of his. Made me realise: we need more humour!

Back