Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Well if the price comes down I might PE my 9ii :)

Unless you need that kind of speed you can get an A1 for about the same money. An A1 will serve the needs to the vast majority of us much better.

As someone who isn't following too closely or interested in buying, didn't I see reports that the results from that camera are noisy? I'm not sure whether that's true or not, but its what I vaguely remember from youtubers and if that is the reputation, then no wonder people aren't flocking to it yet. And of course, the price probably.

well the price is coming down but that may be because it just doe`s not appeal to most of us who endlessly waited for the new a9iii

I have been using a A9MKI since 2019 and was ready to buy the A9MKIII until the specs were released. I could not justify the price for a camera with the same amount of pixels as my A9MKI and image quality thats no better than my A9MKI. Of course many other aspects of the camera are ground breaking ,I just felt it was not for me so two weeks ago picked up a new A1 which was £600 less than the new A9III. I LOVE being able to go into APSC mode and still have 21MP.

I have been using a A9MKI since 2019 and was ready to buy the A9MKIII until the specs were released. I could not justify the price for a camera with the same amount of pixels as my A9MKI and image quality thats no better than my A9MKI. Of course many other aspects of the camera are ground breaking ,I just felt it was not for me so two weeks ago picked up a new A1 which was £600 less than the new A9III. I LOVE being able to go into APSC mode and still have 21MP.
Pretty much where I am I have stuck with the a9 mk1 for 4years until the release of the a9iii and I have just got the a1 but will keep the a9 anyway still a great camera

Pretty much where I am I have stuck with the a9 mk1 for 4years until the release of the a9iii and I have just got the a1 but will keep the a9 anyway still a great camera
After shooting the A1 for three corporate events and one wedding It has made me realise just how good the original A9 is. Yes the A1 is better in many ways but for the type of work I do the A9 is still amazing and to think it came out in 2017. Mine is now looking a little battered so no point selling it and it's great to have two stacked sensor cameras. I also own the A7IV . I may get a second A1 and sell the A7IV

After shooting the A1 for three corporate events and one wedding It has made me realise just how good the original A9 is. Yes the A1 is better in many ways but for the type of work I do the A9 is still amazing and to think it came out in 2017. Mine is now looking a little battered so no point selling it and it's great to have two stacked sensor cameras. I also own the A7IV . I may get a second A1 and sell the A7IV
My a9 mk1 is as new and shutter count only 400 and it has been used at least twice a week since buying, most shots in silent shutter, but I do not tend move my old kit any way but the a9 was a game changer for me, so it is a keeper

My a9 mk1 is as new and shutter count only 400 and it has been used at least twice a week since buying, most shots in silent shutter, but I do not tend move my old kit any way but the a9 was a game changer for me, so it is a keeper
I think the wear on mine is due to the duel camera strap I use. I lot of the paint has rubbed off. I shoot 60 weddings and 50 corporate events a year so I've had my moneys worth even with the pause in work in 2020.

I think the wear on mine is due to the duel camera strap I use. I lot of the paint has rubbed off. I shoot 60 weddings and 50 corporate events a year so I've had my moneys worth even with the pause in work in 2020.
For sure (y)

As someone who isn't following too closely or interested in buying, didn't I see reports that the results from that camera are noisy? I'm not sure whether that's true or not, but its what I vaguely remember from youtubers and if that is the reputation, then no wonder people aren't flocking to it yet. And of course, the price probably.

No, the camera is completely silent. No noise at all. You didn’t mean that?

:unsure: ;) :cool:

In good light I am seeing no noise. I took some shots at ISO 12800, and they were “grainy”- not particularly offensively so, though. Hoping to spend the coming weekend going through what I have shot so far (have just looked at a small subset so far)

I do think Sony have got it wrong with the predicted demand for this camera, and the presales and fact that the grey importers already have stock is quite telling.
Anyway, it has no appeal to me at any price.

No doubt the A9III is an amazing camera and for some a game changer. I know many like me would have preferred a 33mp 30fps stacked sensor with the A9III body and Ai AF and 1/500 flash sync for around £4500. That would still be £500 more than the Z8.

I do think Sony have got it wrong with the predicted demand for this camera, and the presales and fact that the grey importers already have stock is quite telling.
Anyway, it has no appeal to me at any price.
I don't know if they got it wrong. Or maybe they wanted to ensure people to buy them easily (probably at full price!). I do not regret buying one. I am enjoying it. And I suspect many of the other early adopters are feeling the same - which has to help Sony make the big sales to news organisations. And that may be what Sony intends. At the price I don't think they expect to sell a heap of them to people like us. But to news organisations? A few thousand at a time would be a nice sale.

More than any other Sony camera, this one has features suited to deployment in a large organisation. It feels like that is its intended environment. Still a hell of a lot of fun for individuals!

If money was no object I'd probably update to the A1 but as it isn't I'll stick with my A9II which after two years owing one am still finding its a technical learning curve .

No doubt the A9III is an amazing camera and for some a game changer. I know many like me would have preferred a 33mp 30fps stacked sensor with the A9III body and Ai AF and 1/500 flash sync for around £4500. That would still be £500 more than the Z8.
NAILED IT! That is exactly the camera I was hoping for, if not maybe a bit more MP having become accustomed to the A7R III. When Sony revealed the A9 III I bought an A1. To me the A9 III is a very expensive one trick pony.

Sony absolutely got it wrong with regard to demand. It took weeks for the A7R V to be in stock after it was released, and almost a month for the A7 IV. To add to the debate, Sony's predicted availability for the A9 III world-wide was a month later than they actually released it.

I seriously doubt any big organizations are looking to early adopters for input on whether they should buy these cameras for staff. They had these things in their hands long before anyone on this board, and decisions have already been made. This may be one reason they're available so early, the organizations took a pass. Don't forget Sony had a huge release party for the industry including many Canon and Nikon shooters.

I will be happy with my A1/A7 IV combination for quite some time. The A7 IV's low-light capabilities make it the perfect match to the A1.

NAILED IT! That is exactly the camera I was hoping for, if not maybe a bit more MP having become accustomed to the A7R III. When Sony revealed the A9 III I bought an A1. To me the A9 III is a very expensive one trick pony.

Sony absolutely got it wrong with regard to demand. It took weeks for the A7R V to be in stock after it was released, and almost a month for the A7 IV. To add to the debate, Sony's predicted availability for the A9 III world-wide was a month later than they actually released it.

I seriously doubt any big organizations are looking to early adopters for input on whether they should buy these cameras for staff. They had these things in their hands long before anyone on this board, and decisions have already been made. This may be one reason they're available so early, the organizations took a pass. Don't forget Sony had a huge release party for the industry including many Canon and Nikon shooters.

I will be happy with my A1/A7 IV combination for quite some time. The A7 IV's low-light capabilities make it the perfect match to the A1.
I used to own the A7RIII great sensor. I now own the A1 A9 mki and A7IV, the only thing I really do not like about the A7IV is the rear flip out screen. I do think there is a place in Sony's line up for a lower priced stacked sensor to compete with the Z8. There are a lot of event and wedding photographers like me who love the silent shooting the stacked sensor allows us to do but do not need 30fps let alone 120. RRP for two z8 is £8000 for two A9III you are looking at £12000, you can buy a lot of glass with £4000

When I got my A1 I kept my A7Riii as there is something about the sensor in that camera I like.

When I got my A1 I kept my A7Riii as there is something about the sensor in that camera I like.
I can understand that. I got the RIII when my new A7IV developed a dead pixel and had to go away for repair. With how long it took I decided to keep it making three cameras so I always had a spare. Having added the A1 I could not justify 4 bodies so I sold the RIII but it was a close call between it and the A7IV. I think if they put the RIII sensor in a RV body, it would sell very well.

I used to own the A7RIII great sensor. I now own the A1 A9 mki and A7IV, the only thing I really do not like about the A7IV is the rear flip out screen. I do think there is a place in Sony's line up for a lower priced stacked sensor to compete with the Z8. There are a lot of event and wedding photographers like me who love the silent shooting the stacked sensor allows us to do but do not need 30fps let alone 120. RRP for two z8 is £8000 for two A9III you are looking at £12000, you can buy a lot of glass with £4000
You can shoot silent shutter on the M4, just nothing moving too quickly. It shouldn't be problem except for throwing the bouquet!

You can shoot silent shutter on the M4, just nothing moving too quickly. It shouldn't be problem except for throwing the bouquet!
Yes but not inside under artificial light. Thats when a silent shutter is most useful to me as I am often closer to the subject than I would be outside. Also here in the UK , 70% of my wedding ceremonies are inside, so again shooting silent is a big advantage. I also shoot a lot of corporate that's also being filmed, so silent again it's really helpful. The A7IV is as you know, a great camera but mine will stay in my bag now I have the A1 to go with my A9. I may even sell it later this year and get a second A1.

Yes but not inside under artificial light. Thats when a silent shutter is most useful to me as I am often closer to the subject than I would be outside. Also here in the UK , 70% of my wedding ceremonies are inside, so again shooting silent is a big advantage. I also shoot a lot of corporate that's also being filmed, so silent again it's really helpful. The A7IV is as you know, a great camera but mine will stay in my bag now I have the A1 to go with my A9. I may even sell it later this year and get a second A1.
So is the concern banding? I can see that.

So is the concern banding? I can see that.
Indeed, one can see it :)

I don't find electronic shutter to be usable at all indoors, and that's where I'd like to use it.

I think that one of the reasons the A9 III exists is as a statement: "Sony brings new tech to the photographer".

The original A9 did the same thing - first full frame stacked sensor, making e-shutter practical and unleashing higher speed + silent black-out-free shooting.

The A9 III takes that up a big step.

It may be a niche camera, but it makes it clear that Sony is not showing off prototypes (like some other companies...) - they are putting out cameras that (a small subset of) photographers can use.

Maybe another reason these cameras are in stock everywhere is so people see them on the shelves of their local camera store - it's there, it's real, and Sony made it. Classic halo product.

Back