Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Our friend over at SAR seems to think so.

Wrong rumors on the web: Sony A9III will use 36MP Global Shutter sensor :)

I keep seeing website posting this rumor I also got through my anonymous contact box. I never posted it because I am 99,9999% sure this is wrong. But people keep asking me about this because they keep finding this on other websites. So here it is…and it’s highly likely total BS!

Below you can find the specs which are close to final. Sony is still discussing the memory size in the integrated grip with newly developed body and also can fine tune some performance spec. Has been always the case.

Sony A9 III specs
– 36Mpix Global shutter sensor with 16 bit image pipeline and 15.5+ Dynamic range (Sony resolved the issue in last 18 months with dynamic range finally)
– Improved RAW noise performance by real 1EV step with new groundbreaking chip design
– 40 fps uncompressed/lossless RAW, 40 fps compressed RAW, 50 fps with APSC crop due to Dual BionzXR+ processor, sRAW option finally developed and should be scaled down to A1 soon
– ISO from 100 to 409.600 (option to go with ISO 25 as well)
– Hybrid AF with 1440 AF points, phase sensor covering 98%
– Newly developed IBIS with 7 stop compensation when combined with specific lenses (no corner wobling like Canon, improvements made due to bigger body)
– 9.44 mp oled viewfinder with refreshrate up to 240 hz
– Improved battery life of 2000 images (Cipa) with new battery type NP-FZ200 (testers has been doing easily 3500-6000 images)
– Weather sealing for extreme conditions

ISO25 and so forth…this is NOT going to happen on the A9III :)

The 36MP/DR/Noise improvements would put me squarely in the 'shut up and take my money' column.

The question of what the A9III will be is a fascinating one. I think to decipher the mystery, we have to agree that the camera will be a niche offering for sports and event journalists. What I don't know is, what are they using now? A9II? A1? If A9II then I assume they are prioritizing the lower MP and faster data management than say an A1. If they are Canon shooters, are they using the R3? also a lower MP sensor. And where do they want to go from here? Faster FPS, that will happen no doubt. Higher MP? Not sure. I know allot of wildlife shooters are looking at A9III as a potential option with some upgrades. But the specs above seriously challenge the A1. I don't think that will happen. Its a pretty big market if you look at how allot of promotional content comes out aimed at enthusiast wildlife shooters, even for camera such as the A7RV without a stacked sensor and comparatively low FPS. I think the A9II will stay as a niche camera, lower MP but super fast FPS. The integrated body may be tested out here, although I don't think it will come to the A1 line.

The question of what the A9III will be is a fascinating one. I think to decipher the mystery, we have to agree that the camera will be a niche offering for sports and event journalists. What I don't know is, what are they using now? A9II? A1? If A9II then I assume they are prioritizing the lower MP and faster data management than say an A1. If they are Canon shooters, are they using the R3? also a lower MP sensor. And where do they want to go from here? Faster FPS, that will happen no doubt. Higher MP? Not sure. I know allot of wildlife shooters are looking at A9III as a potential option with some upgrades. But the specs above seriously challenge the A1. I don't think that will happen. Its a pretty big market if you look at how allot of promotional content comes out aimed at enthusiast wildlife shooters, even for camera such as the A7RV without a stacked sensor and comparatively low FPS. I think the A9II will stay as a niche camera, lower MP but super fast FPS. The integrated body may be tested out here, although I don't think it will come to the A1 line.
I think the effect an A9III may have on the A1 is irrelevant. Any impact would be short lived, until the A1ii is released. I'm sure Sony has already considered that eventuality.

However, if it does end up with a global shutter it's going to be a very expensive camera, and one could be certain the A1ii will follow suit.

Rather than start a bunch of new threads, it may be best to keep this one updated as we get closer and the rumors heat up (and eventually become more accurate).

This just got a lot closer to my dream camera. Although, I'm sure that's all it is...a dream...

Will the Sony A9III use the new 44MP stacked sensor with 8k60p and 26fps?​

Back in April Sony listed this new 44MP sensor. I keep receiving messages from anonymous tipster that this will be the new sensor used by the Sony A9II that is rumored ot be announced between November and January. The specs would be stunning:
  • 44MP
  • 8k60
  • 4k120p
  • 26fps
Now, trusted sources only told me that indeed the A9IIi has a “brand new stacked sensor” and that it will be Sony’s fastest Alpha camera ever made. But I am yet not sure if it’s going to use that exact 44MP sensor. Probably too close to the A don’t you think? Unless Sony’s plan is to also launch a new A1II in 2024 that has 60+MP sensor. In my video on top I do explain some reasoning and also share some curious short story about ONE source that actually saw the new A9III ;)

what's the rumored price?

Our friend over at SAR seems to think so.

Wrong rumors on the web: Sony A9III will use 36MP Global Shutter sensor :)

The 36MP/DR/Noise improvements would put me squarely in the 'shut up and take my money' column.

Anybody see the Tony Northrup video this week that mentioned SAR and A9III to have 44mp sensor and 26 FPS, with options for much higher FPS at varied crop modes (24mp and 7MP)?

Anybody see the Tony Northrup video this week that mentioned SAR and A9III to have 44mp sensor and 26 FPS, with options for much higher FPS at varied crop modes (24mp and 7MP)?
No. Link please?!

What is all this global shutter nonsense?

Yeah but what the hell is it

Yeah but what the hell is it
When you activate your shutter, the camera's sensor scans across very quickly, much like your TV screen. Slow sensors result in tearing or rolling shutter due to the amount of time it takes to scan when photographing something fast, like a hummingbird wing or propeller. Faster sensors like the A1, A9, and Nikon's Z8 and 9 reduce that significantly, but can't get rid of it completely. A global shutter doesn't scan, it reads the entire sensor all at once, freezing the entire scene in that exact moment in time. It will completely do away with the need for mechanical shutters.

Ah, but I like mechanical 😁

Back