Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I thought this may be important enough to have its own thread. Maybe Tim can combine all of these A9III threads after the announcement.

It will use a newly developed Sony 24Mp sensor made specifically for that use. Sony did not increase the resolution to the A9II because the global shutter design requires an immense readout speed as all pixels are readout once. To keep frame rate at a high level they could not increase the resolution.

If that's true, It'll be an A1 for me.

It's exciting to see.

I might even take an in-concert internet peak tomorrow evening!

Global shutter, one click and you get a panorama of the earth 😆

It has already been pointed out that a true global shutter gets rid of all the banding problems with LED lighting - that will make this camera a go-to for people shooting concerts and other events indoors. Including shooting Olympic events indoors, like gymnastics. That would be handy if there were an Olympics coming up, wouldn't it? And announcing the camera now means that all the photographers going to the Olympics will be queuing up for one.

Sony managed to keep the global shutter news under wraps until just before the announcement - impressive. I think they've done a "calibrated leak" at this point to ensure that more people listen to the announcement. If it's true, I speculate that this shows that all the supposed "secret informants" that the rumours sites say they have are probably working for Sony Marketing :-D

I'm sorry it's not the camera you want, Tim, but I think it's going to make a whole bunch of other photographers very happy.

It has already been pointed out that a true global shutter gets rid of all the banding problems with LED lighting - that will make this camera a go-to for people shooting concerts and other events indoors. Including shooting Olympic events indoors, like gymnastics. That would be handy if there were an Olympics coming up, wouldn't it? And announcing the camera now means that all the photographers going to the Olympics will be queuing up for one.

Sony managed to keep the global shutter news under wraps until just before the announcement - impressive. I think they've done a "calibrated leak" at this point to ensure that more people listen to the announcement. If it's true, I speculate that this shows that all the supposed "secret informants" that the rumours sites say they have are probably working for Sony Marketing :-D

I'm sorry it's not the camera you want, Tim, but I think it's going to make a whole bunch of other photographers very happy.
The comments at the SAR site say lower quality images and banding are issued, supposedly Sony has sorted them both. I doubt that even if the rest of the camera met my desires I'd buy one. This is one of those things that I'd like to see work in the real world before I jumped in.

The comments at the SAR site say lower quality images and banding are issued, supposedly Sony has sorted them both. I doubt that even if the rest of the camera met my desires I'd buy one. This is one of those things that I'd like to see work in the real world before I jumped in.

That's the voice of reason! Yeah, it will be very interesting to see the reviews and to listen for the caveats.

I suspect there will be a lot of people leaping on this camera even if there is slightly reduced image quality, because a lot of image quality issues can be addressed by scaling a 24Mpixel image down to 2Mpixel.

But we only have to wait a few more hours....

Back