Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Updated!

I finally got a confirmation from ONE trusted source that the Sony A9III will be announced next week along the 300mm f/2.8 GM.

Another trusted source also told me that while there are events planed on November 8 and 9 all around the world…the actual announcement should happen on November 7th at 15:00 London time.

Still no confirmation about a possible A1 firmware update…but I hope it’s coming!

Note: In video I say that the announcement would happen on November 8th…but this recording was made shortly before the trusted source todl em it would actually happen on Nov 7.

Last edited:
So it sounds like that the new A9iii will have more MP but no confirmation with rumors being 33 or 44. Based on all the talk about the speed I don't see it being the sensor mentioned with the 44mp. First 26fps isn't a number Sony would use and second that wouldn't make it the fastest camera. Since Sony likes to measure the speed by the fps of compressed RAW in the camera's full mp I don't see them saying that 26fps with 44mp RAW but 120fps with 12mp RAW makes it the fastest.

So it sounds like that the new A9iii will have more MP but no confirmation with rumors being 33 or 44. Based on all the talk about the speed I don't see it being the sensor mentioned with the 44mp. First 26fps isn't a number Sony would use and second that wouldn't make it the fastest camera. Since Sony likes to measure the speed by the fps of compressed RAW in the camera's full mp I don't see them saying that 26fps with 44mp RAW but 120fps with 12mp RAW makes it the fastest.
All very intriguing!

I hpe they do announce the A1 firmware at the same time, it will help me decide.

All very intriguing!

I hpe they do announce the A1 firmware at the same time, it will help me decide.
If they go 44mp Tim then it will be snapping at the heals of the A1 and maybe the sensor will be better, Tim your brain will self destruct :)

If they go 44mp Tim then it will be snapping at the heals of the A1 and maybe the sensor will be better, Tim your brain will self destruct :)
I don't think Sony give a fig about stepping on the A1's toes with the M2 just around the corner. Sony doesn't seem to care mush about pissing off customers with new releases, witness the price points of the new A7c cameras.

I also don't really think it'll get into the 40MP range, but I think 36-38 is possible.

I don't think Sony give a fig about stepping on the A1's toes with the M2 just around the corner. Sony doesn't seem to care mush about pissing off customers with new releases, witness the price points of the new A7c cameras.

I also don't really think it'll get into the 40MP range, but I think 36-38 is possible.

You ain't wrong about the price points! The price of the A7CR is just dumb! Probably reflects by the fact that we still don't have even one floating around this forum I'm pretty sure...

You ain't wrong about the price points! The price of the A7CR is just dumb! Probably reflects by the fact that we still don't have even one floating around this forum I'm pretty sure...
There's a newcomer with an A7CR, but yes, not a heap of them on here - when the A7RV has been selling for less, it's easy to see why people buy the unconstrained camera instead.

There's a newcomer with an A7CR, but yes, not a heap of them on here - when the A7RV has been selling for less, it's easy to see why people buy the unconstrained camera instead.
Where is the A7RV selling for less than the A7CR

I think they might be thinking of the A7IV and the A7CII
I have to admit I would love that 300 F2.8 but just cannot justify the funds for something that will get used so little.

Hopefully an A7RVI. We need more MP..! 🚀

Well, Sony does release A7R models faster than the rest, but just one year after the release of the A7RV? Yeah, no way, not even the slightest chance of a possibility of a hint of a new A7R this year or next year. The A7RV wasn't a "marginal" new release - it brought a bunch of new functionality.

I'd be keen for more pixels in the new A1 (when it comes - I'm hoping for January). Something like 72Mp? Would people want a higher frame rate? I'm thinking probably not - the A1 is plenty fast. The A9 III will probably be the extreme speed demon. If the A9 III is ultra fast, and the A1 II is more pixels, that would separate the A9 and A1 lines further.

I'd like to get an A9 III, but I think it will depend on the price of the 300 GM - that might soak up my budget for new toys for a while :-D And, to be honest, I think I need/want the 300 GM more (and lenses last longer than cameras...).
I haven't seen the CR going for more than the RV either...
On Digitdirect recent sale (now over) the A7CR was a little bit (a hundred dollars or so() more expensive. I doubt it will happen again, but at the time...

On Digitdirect recent sale (now over) the A7CR was a little bit (a hundred dollars or so() more expensive. I doubt it will happen again, but at the time...
retail is $900 less for the CR(B&H $2,998) than the RV(B&H $3,899), if someone is charging more they are ripping people off.

retail is $900 less for the CR(B&H $2,998) than the RV(B&H $3,899), if someone is charging more they are ripping people off.

Oops, I misread your post - I thought you were saying the A7RV was cheaper at B&H.

You are giving up:
  • much more detailed EVF (3 times the dots and greater magnification)
  • better rear screen
  • dual slots with dual media capability
  • more ports (including full-size HDMI)
  • full mechanical shutter (two curtains, not one)
  • better IBIS
  • joystick! (handy with Subject Recognition and multiple subjects)
(and that's off the top of my head).

Is that $900 enough to make up for all of that?

So, who is going to watch the announcement? It comes out at 1am over here, so I probably won't - might have a look at it over breakfast, and decide whether to place a pre-order.

Amusing that they have scheduled it for 11pm in Japan - guess that makes it clear who they expect to be pre-ordering.

So, who is going to watch the announcement? It comes out at 1am over here, so I probably won't - might have a look at it over breakfast, and decide whether to place a pre-order.

Amusing that they have scheduled it for 11pm in Japan - guess that makes it clear who they expect to be pre-ordering.
Maybe not watch Tony, anyway Tony what is your camera body count these days, seems like you buy more than most? but we dont see much in the way of images ;)

Maybe not watch Tony, anyway Tony what is your camera body count these days, seems like you buy more than most? but we dont see much in the way of images ;)

Down to three bodies at the moment. A1, A7RV, and A6700.

I'm seriously considering the 300 GM. Almost hoping the A9 III doesn't appeal, because the 300 GM is going to be pricy.

I do enjoy learning about each new camera body, and increasingly they are genuinely helping me take better photos.

But I'll get more use out of the 300 GM. The 70-200 f/2.8 is good, but not quite long enough - that's where the 300 f/2.8 will fit in. I'm also hoping it's going to be lighter weight, too - not 2.9kg, ideally not 2.5kg, 2.0kg would be good!

The worst part is that 300mm f/2.8 lenses are pricy, but not so pricy as to be easy to resist - the 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses are up in "not without winning a lottery" level; the 300/2.8 is more like "a bad idea" level. I'm fully expecting it to cost more that the A1 did, but I know how much I enjoyed using the A1 when I got it, and lenses last longer than bodies...

Last edited:
It'll be at 9:00 am my time. I should be at my desk so may be able to watch. It's on my calendar just as a reminder, will watch if time permits.

Down to three bodies at the moment. A1, A7RV, and A6700.

I'm seriously considering the 300 GM. Almost hoping the A9 III doesn't appeal, because the 300 GM is going to be pricy.

I do enjoy learning about each new camera body, and increasingly they are genuinely helping me take better photos.

But I'll get more use out of the 300 GM. The 70-200 f/2.8 is good, but not quite long enough - that's where the 300 f/2.8 will fit in. I'm also hoping it's going to be lighter weight, too - not 2.9kg, ideally not 2.5kg, 2.0kg would be good!

The worst part is that 300mm f/2.8 lenses are pricy, but not so pricy as to be easy to resist - the 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses are up in "not without winning a lottery" level; the 300/2.8 is more like "a bad idea" level. I'm fully expecting it to cost more that the A1 did, but I know how much I enjoyed using the A1 when I got it, and lenses last longer than bodies...
Have you thought about the weight of the 300mm I assume the weight is less than the a-mount g1 I have, and the end element on my g1 is at a guess 125mm -150mm its no toy

7.30pm for me. I'll be out watching/photographing a concert.

I wouldn't watch anyway. I'm not in the market. I just bought at maximum of my budget but low on the scale for Sony. And the news will be the same a few hours later. But I do have enough curiosity to check out the salient facts, and see if that new "killer feature" actually killed anybody :ROFLMAO:

a 300mm 2.8 prime is indeed something I'd love to have. Weight? I guess there will be room for a pinky finger underneath it ;)

any news about the A1 firmware update?

7.30pm for me. I'll be out watching/photographing a concert.

I wouldn't watch anyway. I'm not in the market. I just bought at maximum of my budget but low on the scale for Sony. And the news will be the same a few hours later. But I do have enough curiosity to check out the salient facts, and see if that new "killer feature" actually killed anybody :ROFLMAO:

a 300mm 2.8 prime is indeed something I'd love to have. Weight? I guess there will be room for a pinky finger underneath it ;)

If it's really a global shutter, then concert shooting could be seriously improved by it - no banding from PWM lighting because all the pixels are captured in the same instant. You may get exposures a bit darker than expected if you catch the dip in the cycle, but raising the levels in posts is a lot easier than getting rid of dark bands.

As for the weight, there are 300mm f/2.8 lenses up around 3kg (2.9something), and there are 300mm f/2.8 lenses under 2.5kg (2.4something). This being a Sony lens gives me hope for a 2kg lens - they managed some wizardry with the 70-200mm f/2.8 GM, so I have hope! I also expect it to be very well balanced. The 200-600mm G is 2.1kg, and I can manage that hand held for a while; the 300mm will be shorter than the 200-600, which will also help.

Back