CONFIRMED: New Sony announcement in mid February!!!

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Excerpts:

What to expect?
Sony 24-50mm f/2.8 G
: One of the sources confirmed that we are getting the Sony 24-50mm f/2.8 G. That’s the only product where I have 100% confirmation.

What might be announced too:
Sony A1 and A7sIII firmware update
too (still to be confirmed)
Sony 16-25mm f/2.8 G: I do believe it’s likely we might get a new 16-25mm f/2.8 G too. The reason for that is that a youtuber did “leak” this info by mistake for a very short time:

CRAZY RUMOR: Early January a new source told me Sony would announce two new f/2.8 G zooms soon and that there would be some CRAZY WOW gear after that. So even if you don’t care about those G zooms you have to keep your fingers crossed these are coming for real in mid February. If that is going to happen expect me to share some exciting rumors soon after ;)

More in the link:

Just bring us something we need!

Of course the "crazy wow" teaser is interesting. Hoping for some kind of 200-600 "GM" version, something like Canon's 200-400 f4 with 1.4 built in. I don't expect it though, that's a niche lens.

Meh, the crazy bit might just be another vlogger camera :ROFLMAO:
Its almost time for them to announce the ZV-E10 Mark II 🤷‍♂️

Having recently bought the 20-70, I don't care that much about those new lenses. I prefer wider/longer focal length even if it's not that fast. You can always compensate with a higher ISO or longer exposure.

As for the crazy wow rumour, maybe a camera specifically designed for underwater use or for drones? It can't be another vlogging device, can it?

I'm still hoping for the 24-200/2.8-4.5, but I don't think that's 'wow' enough to be a surprise.

The 200-600 isn't old enough yet for an update.

Meh, the crazy bit might just be another vlogger camera :ROFLMAO:
Its almost time for them to announce the ZV-E10 Mark II 🤷‍♂️
He supposes the ZV in Spring in the link.

I'm still hoping for the 24-200/2.8-4.5, but I don't think that's 'wow' enough to be a surprise.
No, not enough wow, but certainly a useful range and worth an update.

"Confirmed" the rumour site says...

Like there were going to be announcements "this week" in late January... (did I miss them?)

Breath-holding not advised :rolleyes:

The "CRAZY" story - what f/2.8 zooms are left to be announced? It won't be a 24-105 f/2.8, because Sony is staying away from super-heavy lenses. I suppose it could be yet another wide-angle zoom (I have no interest in a 10-18mm, or whatever).

I don't imagine Sony announcing their version of the SigMonster - a 200-500 f/2.8 is enormous (I've held one briefly many years ago, and I think the only way I'd use it is with a tripod mount on a jeep!).

Might Sony venture into unusual ranges like 50-100mm? Or 100-200mm? Seems unlikely, given the existing superb 70-200mm. 100-300mm - that could be interesting, especially at f/2.8 - it would be a big beast, judging by Canon's lens. I have owned a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 many years ago - that was quite good, but an f/2.8 version would be significantly bigger.

Anyone imagine Sony might produce a 100-400 f/2.8?

Maybe the event is for the firmware updates to the A1 and A7SIII? Seems unlikely, unless the firmware is going to include a lot more than was announced in November?

how many short lenses do we need?
I think the better question is: How many short 2.8 zooms do we need? We already have a crap-ton of them, and nothing listed is enough to make me want to switch. I want to see some fast f/2 zooms. The Sigma 25-50/2 patent that was leaked would be a great addition. A perfect short indoor/vacation zoom, leave your primes at home. Of all the rumored lenses, it and the already mentioned 24-200 are the only ones I care about at the moment.

Having recently bought the 20-70, I don't care that much about those new lenses. I prefer wider/longer focal length even if it's not that fast. You can always compensate with a higher ISO or longer exposure.

As for the crazy wow rumour, maybe a camera specifically designed for underwater use or for drones? It can't be another vlogging device, can it?

+1

Finding the 20-70 incredibly useful. 2.8 is just not that much different than F4 and the range is excellent.

Where's the mid-priced 600 or 800 PF G lens? Would love something in-between the 600F4 and 200-600.

I think the better question is: How many short 2.8 zooms do we need? We already have a crap-ton of them, and nothing listed is enough to make me want to switch. I want to see some fast f/2 zooms. The Sigma 25-50/2 patent that was leaked would be a great addition. A perfect short indoor/vacation zoom, leave your primes at home. Of all the rumored lenses, it and the already mentioned 24-200 are the only ones I care about at the moment.

If you haven't tried the Tamron 35-150 2.0-2.8 it is the ultimate event lens imo. :)

Agreed on the glut of 2.8 zooms. No interest any many new ones unless it's a novel focal length.

If you haven't tried the Tamron 35-150 2.0-2.8 it is the ultimate event lens imo. :)

Agreed on the glut of 2.8 zooms. No interest any many new ones unless it's a novel focal length.
I've looked at it a million times. 35 isn't wide enough on the short end, and 2.8 isn't fast enough on the long end.

Anyone imagine Sony might produce a 100-400 f/2.8?
No. A 100-400 f4 or f4.5 yes. An f2.8 would cost at least as much as the 400 f2.8 and probably wipe out most of any future sales of the prime.

Someone also mentioned a 200-600 f4 which would cannibalize the 600 f4 and also cost at least as much.

Where's the updated 85mm GM?

Ah, I guess I should have done so! :)

Got my answer now....

I've looked at it a million times. 35 isn't wide enough on the short end, and 2.8 isn't fast enough on the long end.

Funny - while in the absolute sense both of those are true as a tool for the event job the lens is without parallel.
I pretty much only use it for that kind of shoot.

I use it more often than the 135 1.8. Great lens but not nearly as flexible.

Funny - while in the absolute sense both of those are true as a tool for the event job the lens is without parallel.
I pretty much only use it for that kind of shoot.

I use it more often than the 135 1.8. Great lens but not nearly as flexible.

For a lot of uses, it would be great. For my use, it's not. I need 24-25mm on the short end, no compromises. Sometimes wish I had 20mm. For speed, I need fast. f/2 is doable, 1.4-1.8 is better. 2.8 doesn't work.

24mm, uncropped. How does 35mm help?
DSC05171 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

f/1.8 and ISO 12800. f/2.8 would put me at least 25600, probably higher.
DSC05141 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'd pick up the 20 1.8 ASAP if I were you. Great lens and pretty affordable too.

Sigma had an APS-C 50-100 f/2 zoom for DSLR - that could be interesting

No. A 100-400 f4 or f4.5 yes. An f2.8 would cost at least as much as the 400 f2.8 and probably wipe out most of any future sales of the prime.

Someone also mentioned a 200-600 f4 which would cannibalize the 600 f4 and also cost at least as much.

if it costs as much as the existing 400 GM or 600 GM, why would Sony hesitate to release it?

I suspect that it wouldn’t, because a) the prime would necessarily weigh less (so be easier to carry), and b) the prime would be sharper.

I suspect you are right: a 100-400 f/4 could get a lot of buyers - I admit the variable aperture put me off the existing lens.

I'd pick up the 20 1.8 ASAP if I were you. Great lens and pretty affordable too.
What I'd LOVE to do is buy the rumored 25-50/2 when it comes out and sell my primes. Changing lenses standing next to the track is not only a pain, but it's the dirtiest environment I've ever shot in. Best to leave lenses mounted. I'd still keep the 135/1.8 unless something else comes along.

Both of those shots were made with Samyang/Rokinon lenses. For what little I use primes, they're more than serviceable.

Sigma had an APS-C 50-100 f/2 zoom for DSLR - that could be interesting
But that would make it 75-150 and I'd lose light shooting in APS-C. I already have an 80-200/2.8 Minolta APO G. It works very well as an interim, between the slow Tamron 50-200 and the primes.

Pray for a firmware update fr the Alpha 1.

But that would make it 75-150 and I'd lose light shooting in APS-C. I already have an 80-200/2.8 Minolta APO G. It works very well as an interim, between the slow Tamron 50-200 and the primes.

Sorry - meant to say that a full-frame version of that lens could be interesting. I looked at it when it came out, and wasn't interested in shooting it in APS-C.

Back