Confirmed: On February 21 Sony will “only” announce the new 24-50mm f/2.8 G lens. It’s priced at 1299€

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Not sure I understand the need for this lens with so many others covering the same range, must be a size thing? 🤷‍♂️

On February 21 Sony will only announce the new 24-50mm f/2.8 G lens. I have been told the price is 1299€.

I know you are frustrated nothing else will be announced but don’t worry…I am here to cheer you up with some solid prospect:

1. It looks very likely that Sony will have another announcement pretty soon after the CP+ show
  2. I am working on that “WOW” rumor. If all goes well in early March I can tell you what’s coming that is truly cool
  3. I have been told the year will start slow (ZV-E10II announcement for example) but get better towards the end. So be patient!

I think it will be for the content creators who often hold the lens out at arms length so weight is important. Not one for me

This announcement seems weird given that it will compete with the recent 20-70 (which is more versatile and interesting IMHO) but to each his own.

I wonder how light and compact will it be, though. From the picture it doesn't seem more compact than the 20-70.

This announcement seems weird given that it will compete with the recent 20-70 (which is more versatile and interesting IMHO) but to each his own.

I wonder how light and compact will it be, though. From the picture it doesn't seem more compact than the 20-70.

Except that this one is f/2.8. That makes a difference to some people.

Still sounds like an unnecessary lens.

Makes me wonder how big the rumored Sigma 25-50/2 will be!

Blah blah blah :D

I think it will be for the content creators who often hold the lens out at arms length so weight is important. Not one for me
Hmmm I don't think that would be ideal, 24 is a bit tight for vlogging, especially when active stabilization is turned on. For those folks, the 16-35 already exists and is ideal.
I bet someone thought 24-50 would be a nice compact street lens. Wide "enough" and includes the cliched 35 &50 mm focal lengths.

Hmmm I don't think that would be ideal, 24 is a bit tight for vlogging, especially when active stabilization is turned on. For those folks, the 16-35 already exists and is ideal.
I bet someone thought 24-50 would be a nice compact street lens. Wide "enough" and includes the cliched 35 &50 mm focal lengths.

That's what I was thinking after my first reply: that maybe it's indended as a kind of zoom/prime hybrid for street photography. Like carrying the compact 24/40/50 f2.5 primes altogether. I'm curious about how light it will be, though.

Last edited:
100% not interested in this lens. Hopefully it makes somebody happy.

Still loving the 20-70. Best range for everyday for my use cases. The difference between 2.8 and 4.0 for me is negligible. If I want fast I'm still choosing a prime. :) If 2.8 is good then might as well go with the solid Tamron 28-75 or 24-70 GMII 2.8s

100% not interested in this lens. Hopefully it makes somebody happy.

Still loving the 20-70. Best range for everyday for my use cases. The difference between 2.8 and 4.0 for me is negligible. If I want fast I'm still choosing a prime. :) If 2.8 is good then might as well go with the solid Tamron 28-75 or 24-70 GMII 2.8s

I've recommended the 20-70 to two friends who were asking for advice about the 24-70 GM II. Half the price, higher magnification at 70mm, wider short end, and a lot lighter - total cost: one stop. Both went for the 20-70.

I've recommended the 20-70 to two friends who were asking for advice about the 24-70 GM II. Half the price, higher magnification at 70mm, wider short end, and a lot lighter - total cost: one stop. Both went for the 20-70.
The extra width makes such a huge difference imo. Your friends are lucky !

It made the 17-28 redundant in my kit so I sold it off and reduced the number of lenses to carry around/ change in the field on casual outings.

Back