Here are the four new E-mount cameras Sony will announce within the next 6 months!

🐷🐖🐽

Looking forward to the upcoming announcement of the a6700. As I already own an a6600 with a Sony 18-135 lens, the a6700 could be a natural upgrade path for me, if it offers a better EVF and 10-bit 4:2:2 video.
Same here!

Young man! It's been a long time since I was that.

That still sounds like a battery to me.

Of course Sony could go in the opposite direction and make this camera a direct competitor of the Z9 and have an A1 with a built in battery grip.
I’m looking for a motorcycle mount for my A7iv. I know it can be powered straight off the triumph speed triple battery accessory and mounted on one of those vest straps people walk around with.

The pro Go-Pro.

Specifically stated it will be a NEW camera, "A first of its kind.", not an upgrade of an existing line. Watch the video in the link, start at 1:50.

Oooooh! New could mean something like an A1R (100Mp 25fps - fun for BiF) or an A9R (33Mp 40fps) or an A1C (an A1 in the A7C form factor) or the A0 (an A1 with a 45mmx30mm sensor). I’d be quite interested in any of those.

Or it could be something boring like a 33Mp ZV thing :( Or an FX thing.

I’m looking for a motorcycle mount for my A7iv. I know it can be powered straight off the triumph speed triple battery accessory and mounted on one of those vest straps people walk around with.

The pro Go-Pro.

Have to be worn with proper boots - they’d be Pro Go-Pro gogo boots, right?

Oooooh! New could mean something like an A1R (100Mp 25fps - fun for BiF) or an A9R (33Mp 40fps) or an A1C (an A1 in the A7C form factor) or the A0 (an A1 with a 45mmx30mm sensor). I’d be quite interested in any of those.

I reckon medium format now... ✅

If you take the message as stated it can't be any of those because those are existing lines. If the statement is true, it will be something else.

A bit of a thought why does everyone assume the a1 will remain flagship camera as people call it? just to mess with you guys what if the new a9 mk3 became the flagship camera, after all it was at one time, because the way I see it is the a9 mk3 is pointless unless it takes a huge leap forward , because a tweek here and there is not going to sell it to many. So no facts behind this just thinking out aloud;)

If you take the message as stated it can't be any of those because those are existing lines. If the statement is true, it will be something else.
Or... it could be something software related, for example editing capabilities in camera combined with a SIM card slot to directly upload to all the social media channels... Perhaps they make it so that one could take phone calls with it as well!

A bit of a thought why does everyone assume the a1 will remain flagship camera as people call it? just to mess with you guys what if the new a9 mk3 became the flagship camera, after all it was at one time, because the way I see it is the a9 mk3 is pointless unless it takes a huge leap forward , because a tweek here and there is not going to sell it to many. So no facts behind this just thinking out aloud;)
The A9 was what I would call a classic flagship camera in the same way the 20-24MP high frame rate DSLR cameras were. With mirrorless it is clear that you can get both high frame rates and high MP so now flagship cameras need both. This is why Cannon currently doesn't have a flagship camera even though the R3 matches the classic definition. Since there is a market for an average (?) MP high frame rate camera it wouldn't make a lot of sense to make the A9iii into a flagship camera. Also it wouldn't make a lot of sense to just have 1 generation of the A1 given the strength the model name has.

Just to throw something else out there that would qualify as a new line, not one that I think would be correct, that I will call the A1.33.

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Sony market the A9 as a flagship, right up until the A1 came along?

The A9 was what I would call a classic flagship camera in the same way the 20-24MP high frame rate DSLR cameras were. With mirrorless it is clear that you can get both high frame rates and high MP so now flagship cameras need both. This is why Cannon currently doesn't have a flagship camera even though the R3 matches the classic definition. Since there is a market for an average (?) MP high frame rate camera it wouldn't make a lot of sense to make the A9iii into a flagship camera. Also it wouldn't make a lot of sense to just have 1 generation of the A1 given the strength the model name has.

Just to throw something else out there that would qualify as a new line, not one that I think would be correct, that I will call the A1.33.
All the model numbers names Sony use are a just a nod to the minolta cameras that came before them, so numbers mean nothing, canon must have a flagship camera by definition since if one is better than the rest they make, therefore it is their flagship camera, because for the model and feature chasers it would be that body they would buy because they can not do with slightly less than the best. The a1 is at the moment Sony flagship camera but it does not mean it will remain so after all as above @Brownie states the original flagship for Sony was the a9 and as I said in the first post I could be messing with your thoughts, I guess it would upset a1 owners ;)

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Sony market the A9 as a flagship, right up until the A1 came along?
Yup.

All the model numbers names Sony use are a just a nod to the minolta cameras that came before them, so numbers mean nothing, canon must have a flagship camera by definition since if one is better than the rest they make, therefore it is their flagship camera, because for the model and feature chasers it would be that body they would buy because they can not do with slightly less than the best. The a1 is at the moment Sony flagship camera but it does not mean it will remain so after all as above @Brownie states the original flagship for Sony was the a9 and as I said in the first post I could be messing with your thoughts, I guess it would upset a1 owners ;)
Well the R3 is Canon's top featured camera but they specifically said it was not their flagship camera, I think they may still have the EOS-1D X Mark III as their flagship camera. If I remember correctly the R3 was originally going to be the R1 but then Sony released the A1 and a high frame rate camera with merely 24MP then seemed like a silly thing to have as a flagship camera. On a side note I wonder if anyone that isn't deep into the EF lens buys the 1D Xiii given that it is $1000 more and feature wise significantly inferior to the R3.

These companies spend a significant amount of time and effort in the marketing of the identity of the lines, so they are not going to switch up the hierarchy of them with every new release. Part of the marketing is that when photographers see other photographers with their cameras they have an understanding of what that person has and they can then either feel jealous or smug about what they are using. So if they are going to change what the flagship camera is it will be with the release of a new camera line name and not a name that is lower on the current hierarchy. Like for Sony the flagship camera at one point could probably have been the A7 line but when the A9 was released Sony marketed it as the top of the camera range. This was even how Sony marketed the A9ii till the release of the A1 when they crowned that as the new flagship camera and the marketing for the A9ii changed to it being a sports camera.

Canon will drop the fabled R1 as their new flagship.

If it's a medium format at 100mp and called the A0, you could very well be the smartest man alive! 😎

I wonder if Sony would ever make an A0, just because it might be seen as the “A nothing”, but it would one-up Canon’s series camera.

You could even argue it was the the one before the A1 and all of Canon’s 1s, and the one after Nikon’s Z9…

Drat! Now I really really want it to be the A0! That would be cool.

I don’t want to be the smartest man alive, but I’d be keen to be the first owner of a Sony A0!

(BTW, for our American friends, A0 is a paper size which is very nearly 1 square metre in area, with an aspect ratio of square root of 2 : 1 - that aspect ratio means that bisecting it perpendicularly to the long axis results in a sheet with the same aspect ratio, and half the area. You can repeat that as often as you like, and each half-size gets a higher A number: A1 is half A0 (so half a square metre), A2 is half A1, A3 is half A2, A4 is half A3… A4 may be known to Americans as A size paper. A0 is a big piece of paper!)

Last edited:
No, all those models I “invented” are new - A1R, A9R, A1C, A0 - none of those exist today.

I suppose Sony could start an entire new super family of cameras called, say Omega (ooh, we could own an Alpha and an Omega), or maybe switch source alphabets, and make an Aleph / Alef / Alif series (first letter from Hebrew, Arabic, and related alphabets) - hmm, perhaps not! Or they could use the first character from hiragana or katakana?

Last edited:
No, all those models I “invented” are new - A1R, A9R, A1C, A0 - none of those exist today.

I suppose Sony could start an entire new super family of cameras called, say Omega (ooh, we could own an Alpha and an Omega), or maybe switch source alphabets, and make an Aleph / Alef / Alif series (first letter from Hebrew, Arabic, and related alphabets) - hmm, perhaps not! Or they could use the first character from hiragana or katakana?
They're still extensions of existing lines. Think A8, A2, A4, etc.

OK, then what about a B4? That would be the one they release B4 the B1 which will B1 that I want!
If they release it B4 the B1, would it still be considered a new line? :unsure:

If Sony released A9 and then A1, it’s obvious they’re not thinking double digits like A11 or A1.1 - those are out of the question…. And Sony A8 is a television. They’ll not want to go to Beta.

I think they’re in a world of pain in the marketing department!

OK, then what about a B4? That would be the one they release B4 the B1 which will B1 that I want!
It is starting to look like European car model names, like Audi where the A followed by an even number means it's a sedan and uneven numbers are coupe/convertible.

Will the Sony A8 be a luxury sedan version of the A7?

If Sony released A9 and then A1, it’s obvious they’re not thinking double digits like A11 or A1.1
I just need to state my math joke again and say an A1.33 would be interesting and new

If Sony released A9 and then A1, it’s obvious they’re not thinking double digits like A11 or A1.1 - those are out of the question…. And Sony A8 is a television. They’ll not want to go to Beta.

I think they’re in a world of pain in the marketing department!
Well, Sony already released Beta a long time ago, so definitely no.

Sony could hop to the other end of the Greek alphabet, and use Omega - their Marketing department could spin it as the "last word" in cameras after all their alpha-testing :cool: - it would have to be a very impressive camera, though.

Still want it to be an A0 (which @Brownie would have to admit is not an existing line!). The unused A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, and A8 would be imply something intermediate.

Oooh - what if they used i in the sense of that "imaginary" number with the property i squared = -1? (shame we don't have superscript font!). Can you imagine the screaming from the people who already decry the AI chip in the A7RV if the new family was called the Ai ? Still, if they announced it, you could argue that it was an imaginary camera.

Or they could make an irrational choice and call it the A pi

I suppose the natural choice (as in natural logarithm) would the Ae ? (Canon did have the AE1, but their E was capitalised, and the number e is always rendered in lowercase).

Yeah, indulging my mathematical geek side. The part of me that delights in the fact that e ** i pi + 1 = 0

I suppose the most appropriate irrational number to use for a camera would be the square root of 2, consider the number of places that it already appears in photography (athough it's usually only specified to one decimal place, such as 1.4). So should there be an A square root 2 which should be rendered are A1.4?

WTF? We expected 1, 2 and 4. Look at Number 3:

1. Sony High End APS-C E-mount camera on July 12
  2. New Sony A7cII: Announcement timeframe September/November
  3. New High Resolution Sony camera: Announcement timeframe September/November
  4. New Sony A9III: Announcement timeframe November/January
Is this going to piss off the people that bought an A7R V? Will it be higher res yet? Will this clear the way for a higher resultion A1? A9?

Seems odd they'd drop a new hi resolution camera at this point. Weird.

I just watched the recording of the livestream of Andrea Pizzini of SAR, apparantly the A7C-II will be a camera that make current A7IV users angry. Don't know exactly how you get those users angry but in terms of specs I can only think of introducing the AI functionalities and maybe a faster sensor read out speed (if there is a faster processor).

Back