Here are the four new E-mount cameras Sony will announce within the next 6 months!

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
WTF? We expected 1, 2 and 4. Look at Number 3:

1. Sony High End APS-C E-mount camera on July 12
  2. New Sony A7cII: Announcement timeframe September/November
  3. New High Resolution Sony camera: Announcement timeframe September/November
  4. New Sony A9III: Announcement timeframe November/January
Is this going to piss off the people that bought an A7R V? Will it be higher res yet? Will this clear the way for a higher resultion A1? A9?

Seems odd they'd drop a new hi resolution camera at this point. Weird.

It’ll be fun to see how this shakes out. I would only be tempted by an A1 II or there’s a smidgen of a chance of considering a completely upgraded A7CII.

Then again a baby A1 stacked sensor aps-c would be amazing but not seeing that rumor…

My best shooting pal has an A7R5. He wouldn’t be mad if a 90mp version came out - 60+ mp is plenty.

Cool! #3 could be a new version of the RX1R, but then he also said that it would be a completely new type of camera. Really curious to see what it will be!

I think I figured it out! (Probably not, but it's fun to speculate)

The A9III will stay at 24MP and pick up a lot of new features like AI AF, Lossless Compressed, an insane number of frames per second, etc.

The new, unknown hi-res camera will be a stripped down A1 with lower resolution, say 42-45MP, and sold for $3200. It will be called the A8, or maybe the A2. It will be a direct competitor to the Z8 and R5. It will be fast, but not the fastest. It will be high resolution, but not the highest. If will be stripped of many video features. It will be to the A1 what the Z8 is to the Z9.

Last edited:
I think I figured it out! (Probably not, but it's fun to speculate)

The A9III will stay at 24MP and pick up a lot of new features like AI AF, Lossless Compressed, an insane number of frames per second, etc.

The new, unknown hi-res camera will be a stripped down A1 with lower resolution, say 42-45MP, and sold for $3200. It will be called the A8, or maybe the A2. It will be a direct competitor to the Z8 and R5. It will be fast, but not the fastest. It will be high resolution, but not the highest. If will be stripped of many video features. It will be to the A1 what the Z8 is to the Z9.
I like your thinking! It sounds like it will be the perfect camera for me then.. 😎

Cool! #3 could be a new version of the RX1R, but then he also said that it would be a completely new type of camera. Really curious to see what it will be!
Or, I don't know if something like this exists, a fixed lens small full frame camera but with a zoom lens. For example a 20-50mm F/2

Or, I don't know if something like this exists, a fixed lens small full frame camera but with a zoom lens. For example a 20-50mm F/2
I like these types with out the zoom, usually a much better lens when it is one focal length. I would love an update to my RX1rII

WTF? We expected 1, 2 and 4. Look at Number 3:

1. Sony High End APS-C E-mount camera on July 12
  2. New Sony A7cII: Announcement timeframe September/November
  3. New High Resolution Sony camera: Announcement timeframe September/November
  4. New Sony A9III: Announcement timeframe November/January
Is this going to piss off the people that bought an A7R V? Will it be higher res yet? Will this clear the way for a higher resultion A1? A9?

Seems odd they'd drop a new hi resolution camera at this point. Weird.

The A8 series…. finally an 8k OLED touchscreen on the super snappy A7R series.

I have an A7RV up for sale if anyone is interested..! 😄

Just remember, even if a new, upgraded camera comes by, your old camera is still capable of shooting fantastic pictures. That won't change whatever comes in the future.

I hope its way better than mk1 and mk2, common problem dirt gets on the sensor through battery door had 2 mk1 £ 3,000 UK and Sony dont repair anymore, brilliant Zeiss lens and looks great with black spots on all your shots of Grand canyon o_O

What is another 6 months already waited close to 2 years for the a9 mk3(n)

So do we think the high resolution camera is going to be significantly higher res than the A7RV? Will it be the A7RVI (I doubt it - the A7RV is less than 9 months old). So would it be perhaps the A8R? 8 is supposed to be lucky, after all.

Now comes the big question: will they come out in that order? Or perhaps in reverse order (yes, please!)

Oh, drat - I just read the timeframes.

Last edited:
Just remember, even if a new, upgraded camera comes by, your old camera is still capable of shooting fantastic pictures. That won't change whatever comes in the future.
Who cares? Look, you don't come into a thread about new cameras and try to inject common sense!

I do think number three will be an RX1R III...
Specifically stated it will be a NEW camera, "A first of its kind.", not an upgrade of an existing line. Watch the video in the link, start at 1:50.

It will be to the A1 what the Z8 is to the Z9.
Isn't the Z8 just the Z9 with 1 less battery? I think it would be really cool if Sony were able to create a new camera that was like the A1 just without the need for a battery. That wouldn't only save some weight but could allow for better cooling and also free up space in the bag for trips.

Look, you don't come into a thread about new cameras and try to inject common sense!
:unsure:

Isn't the Z8 just the Z9 with 1 less battery? I think it would be really cool if Sony were able to create a new camera that was like the A1 just without the need for a battery. That wouldn't only save some weight but could allow for better cooling and also free up space in the bag for trips.

:unsure:
My old Sony Betamax portable used battery packs that weighed about a pound each and were about 10" x 6" x 1". They attached to a belt. I had to carry two. There was a cable that went from the batteries to the unit.

Would that work ok?

My old Sony Betamax portable used battery packs that weighed about a pound each and were about 10" x 6" x 1". They attached to a belt. I had to carry two. There was a cable that went from the batteries to the unit.

Would that work ok?
That still sounds like a battery to me.

Of course Sony could go in the opposite direction and make this camera a direct competitor of the Z9 and have an A1 with a built in battery grip.

That still sounds like a battery to me.

Of course Sony could go in the opposite direction and make this camera a direct competitor of the Z9 and have an A1 with a built in battery grip.
That'd be awful! I hate those oversized things. I'd rather attach one if needed.

Looking forward to the upcoming announcement of the a6700. As I already own an a6600 with a Sony 18-135 lens, the a6700 could be a natural upgrade path for me, if it offers a better EVF and 10-bit 4:2:2 video.

Back