Sony will announce at least five new E-mount cameras in 2023!

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Whoa!!!

If my trusted sources are spot on than we might get up to five new E-mount cameras this year! Here is what to expect:
  • High end APS-C camera (likely before Summer with 26MP sensor)
  • Sony A9III
  • Sony A7cII
  • one surprise E-mount camera
  • some sort of cine/video centric E-mount camera (could be coming in late Spring)
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-will-announce-at-least-five-new-e-mount-cameras-in-2023/

Note ZERO mention of A1ii, but I think @AlphaWorld is correct, it will be announced or released right around the Olympics to maximize publicity noise.

New APSC Camera, Summer... my wallet is NOT ready, but the WANT is strong!

Edit: I am also curious to see how they update the A7C.

Edit: I am also curious to see how they update the A7C.
I'll bet you a buck it gets the A7-IV sensor.

I'll bet you a buck it gets the A7-IV sensor.
I think you'd be right. What I look forward to seeing, purely out of academic curiosity, is how much of the A7IV functionality doesn't make it into the smaller body of the A7CII. You know what I mean? Will the IBIS still have room to perform similarly? Will the video capabilities be limited to prevent overheating and such? That's what I mean.

I would hope they would switch such a camera to the A7x body style over the A6xxx. Since there is no real data the want isn't as strong and as of now the decision on a vacation hasn't been made.

I would hope they would switch such a camera to the A7x body style over the A6xxx. Since there is no real data the want isn't as strong and as of now the decision on a vacation hasn't been made.
re: A7x body
Pros: more space for better internals, better/bigger EVF, better ergonomics for adult-sized hands.
Cons: starts to diminish the benefit of APSC's compact nature. Would the body really need to be any bigger than an A7C to fit in the expected features?

Trust me, I'm torn on that topic, but as long as I can still fit the camera and two lenses in my 6L sling bag, then I'd be happy.

re: A7x body
Pros: more space for better internals, better/bigger EVF, better ergonomics for adult-sized hands.
Cons: starts to diminish the benefit of APSC's compact nature. Would the body really need to be any bigger than an A7C to fit in the expected features?

Trust me, I'm torn on that topic, but as long as I can still fit the camera and two lenses in my 6L sling bag, then I'd be happy.
The body size difference between APS-C and FF is negligible. Even a body the same size as Sony's current offerings wouldn't make much difference. AFAIC, the form factor is so much more comfortable it's worth the minor size change. You still get to use the compact lenses, and that's really where size/cost come into play. Heck, both of my FF cameras are smaller than my Panasonic G9 was!

6474.JPG

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the "one surprise E-mount camera" our rumor master has mentioned?
Video camera? another industrial camera like the last PTZ announcement? unlikely to be another vlog camera right? they have that segment well covered now...

The body size difference between APS-C and FF is negligible. Even a body the same size as Sony's current offerings wouldn't make much difference. AFAIC, the form factor is so much more comfortable it's worth the minor size change. You still get to use the compact lenses, and that's really where size/cost come into play. Heck, both of my FF cameras are smaller than my Panasonic G9 was!
That plus:

If you think about what "high-end" means for cameras it really just means a camera that is designed to capture high speed action at a fast rate via still or video. When tracking a moving subject, especially a fast one, it is easier and more accurate to do it when your lens hand/arm is moving at the same rate and position that your head is.

I can fit my A1 with the 24-105 attached along with the 100-400GM and 90G in my Think Tank Photo TurnStyle 5V2.0 Sling Camera Bag. I don't know how that compares.

Rumor master mentions:

But there might be even 1-2 more if you consider the Venice series and or other niche products (remember Sony also made a PTZ E-mount camera).

I'm not sure I can think out of the box enough to guess. Does an E-mount drone camera make sense with an APS-C sensor?

What about a second version of the A9III? The rumor suggested stripped down video features. What if they make two versions like Panasonic did with the new S5II and S5IIx? The 'x' model has advanced video and costs a bit more.

Hurry up before I buy a Canon.

If they'd update the A1 firmware closer to current stuff, a good used one will probably be about the same as a new A9III. I've seen them in LN condition for $5500, and EC for $4800. If we want to assume that the A9III will release for a few hundred more than its predecessor (which seems to be about what Sony does), that'd be right in the ballpark.

That's cool! With their latest AF system out I thought there might be an avalanche of new bodies on their way. Wirh the last couple of years of lens releases Sony seem to have that side of it well and truly sorted, so this must be the next chapter now. Exciting times! 🚀

It's getting difficult to think what might constitute a "surprise E mount camera" - what about an underwater one (like a Nikonos but with an enclosure for a lens)? Or maybe a truly ultralight version, ditching as many features as needed to make a really light body (say, 400g or less?)

Presumably the cine/video one might be another FX body.

The day you buy a digital camera body it is imminently obsolete, or already so. It will be a sorry time, the day I exchange cameras like I do iPhones. Can I get the upgrades on a plan?

Interesting take: A commenter on the rumor site suggests that Sony is setting on the A1ii release until Canon drops the R1. They could take the wind right out of Canon's sails with a move like that and redirect some of the excitement. :unsure:

Interesting take: A commenter on the rumor site suggests that Sony is setting on the A1ii release until Canon drops the R1. They could take the wind right out of Canon's sails with a move like that and redirect some of the excitement. :unsure:
Makes sense to me

They have some smart cookies running the show down at Sony. They're slowly just chipping away at Canon. Not doing a lot wrong that's for sure!

I hope not! I don’t wanna wait that long!

I hope not! I don’t wanna wait that long!
I'm betting Canon is waiting for the same Olympics. It's like they're staring at each other to see who blinks first!

Just heard something about a very compact Sony 70-200mm f4 with built in macro..! I already have the cash sitting on the table with a do not touch note on it! 😱

Just heard something about a very compact Sony 70-200mm f4 with built in macro..! I already have the cash sitting on the table with a do not touch note on it! 😱
That was announced a few days ago. Looks interesting for some, but unless it's REALLY compact, I don't see the value. It will also be interesting to see what they mean by 'macro', which is never truly macro on a lens like this. More than likely a good close focuser.

Here's the rumor article:

Last edited:
New camera announced next week. Given it's mentioned as a vlogging camera, it's believed to be the succesor of the ZV-1.

That was announced a few days ago. Looks interesting for some, but unless it's REALLY compact, I don't see the value. It will also be interesting to see what they mean by 'macro', which is never truly macro on a lens like this. More than likely a good close focuser.

Here's the rumor article:
Might have been interesting if I didn't already have the Tamron 28-200. A compact/light 70-200 would pair nicely with the 20-70 though.

New camera announced next week. Given it's mentioned as a vlogging camera, it's believed to be the succesor of the ZV-1.

I think the ZV-1 was a successful little camera, not for most of us on this forum, but I say good on them for keeping it updated.

Back