SUPER WILD RUMOR: First Sony A9III specs, 29MP ultra fast sensor and body with integrated grip

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
The integrated grip may have killed it for me. 29MP is 'meh'. Overall, kind of a weird conglomeration. Video specs of A7 IV?

In any event, VERY iffy on any of this, just discussion fodder.

This is a totally unverified rumor and comes from an anonymous source. This means there is a high chance this rumor might be wrong. All I know from trusted sources is that the A9III is definitely coming in the November-January timeframe and that it’s going to be the fastest camera on market. But they shared no detailed specs so far.

So just for the sake of fun, clickbait (LOL) and discussion, read this spec list and tell me what you think about it:

I was briefed on features of the new A9III:
The name isn’t final, but it will be marketed specifically to professional sports shooters and will NOT replace the A1 as Sony’s flagship. Video specs will be similar to the A7IV (no 8K, no external raw) but will feature several ultra-high fps modes.
Lots of new pro features.
Completely new body with built in vertical grip, will use 2x FZ100 batteries that can be independently swapped without turning the camera off (unlike the sled from current battery grip).
Additional custom buttons and switches (source suggested that both top dials would have lower control rings, and one would be customizable).
3.4″ tilting ultra-bright “dual-touch” screen that will allow use with gloves and when wet.
Dual CF-A/SD slots and compatible with saving directly to SSD via USB.
Source said a “cutting edge” sensor cleaning and dust/water prevention system will be featured, but details are still very secret even within Sony.
New BIONZ processor to support enhanced AF.
29MP sensor with global electronic shutter with no mechanical shutter.
Ultra fast start-up speed.
120fps full-res HEIF for 2s burst (limited by sensor memory). Source hinted that a 240fps reduced MP mode has been proposed to counter Z9.
60fps full-res HEIF/compressed raw with large buffer.
30fps uncompressed/compressed-lossless raw.
5.76MM dot HDR EVF with 240hz dynamic refresh, which will vary the refresh rate for battery saving.
Car/motorcycle AF tracking mode.
240 AF calculations per second (4x A9II).
2200 AF points with 100% coverage.
960fps cropped 1080p, 480fps oversampled 1080p, and 240fps (cropped) 4k S&Q.
Enhanced voice-to-text metadata writing with built in GPS/GLONASS/BeiDou/QZSS.
5G cellular and improved wifi speeds with port for external long-range wifi antenna.
5GBASE-T Ethernet port.

That sounds like it could be a big bag of s--t :cry:

It popped up as recommended video when I opened YouTube... Why would he make a video like this?

I think the answer is that he just want to get a new video out to generate clicks and to keep the youtube algorithms awake to not ignore his future content...

It popped up as recommended video when I opened YouTube... Why would he make a video like this?

I think the answer is that he just want to get a new video out to generate clicks and to keep the youtube algorithms awake to not ignore his future content...
Well, considering that he makes his entire living off of clicks and rumors, I'd say you are 100% correct. I mean, that's the entire purpose of his website.

Well, considering that he makes his entire living off of clicks and rumors, I'd say you are 100% correct. I mean, that's the entire purpose of his website.
True, but he also has videos containing rumors that turn out to be 99% correct for the upcoming release (as could be the case for this video as well ofcourse).

Not sure which point I am trying to make so just ignore my comment.

You are correct that he is living of clicks so videos like this are to be expected.

True, but he also has videos containing rumors that turn out to be 99% correct for the upcoming release (as could be the case for this video as well ofcourse).

Not sure which point I am trying to make so just ignore my comment.

You are correct that he is living of clicks so videos like this are to be expected.
I know what you're saying, but if you follow him closely you see that all of his rumors start off as some wild and crazy thing when the release is well in the future. The closer it gets, the more 'reliable his sources', and the more accurate the rumors. You are correct that many of them end up almost completely true, but those are late in the game.

He has mentioned a couple of times that he has information he isn't allowed to share yet. So, where is that coming from? My theory is as follows:

He is far more connected to the factories than they want us to know. The release of rumors is scheduled and choreographed to make it appear as though we're being included in some kind of spy game secret inside information ring. The truth is its planned for maximum effect. The reason? It costs Sony (Canon/OM/Panasonic/Nikon) nothing for this free advertising, which reaches millions of people every single day. And in turn for his discretion, he gets to make a living off of their trickling of information. A perfect symbiotic relationship.

Ultra Fast Sensor? Meaning what? What we need is ultra fast and accurate AF with a 60mp Stacked sensor and no video options.

Ultra Fast Sensor? Meaning what? What we need is ultra fast and accurate AF with a 60mp Stacked sensor and no video options.
240 AF calculations per second (4x A9II).
2200 AF points with 100% coverage.

Ok fast processing then. I'm reckoning they are going to mimic the OM1

Ok fast processing then. I'm reckoning they are going to mimic the OM1
While beating the crap out of it in DR, Low Light, and MP. But you'll probably be able to buy 2 OM-1's for the price of one of these.

While beating the crap out of it in DR, Low Light, and MP. But you'll probably be able to buy 2 OM-1's for the price of one of these.
3. £1330 on Grey Import for the OM

Not a camera I would buy even if it were actually coming. I suppose it was made up to sound like a Canon R3 competitor?
That's another camera that doesn't interest me in the least.

The more I think about it - I'm disinclined to really buy any new cameras at the moment as the A1 is still an outstanding overall performer and the A9II is a highly capable backup.

Not a camera I would buy even if it were actually coming. I suppose it was made up to sound like a Canon R3 competitor?
That's another camera that doesn't interest me in the least.

The more I think about it - I'm disinclined to really buy any new cameras at the moment as the A1 is still an outstanding overall performer and the A9II is a highly capable backup.
R3 ns R5 are both cheaper than this will be, and probably better TBH.

R3 ns R5 are both cheaper than this will be, and probably better TBH.
You're probably right - but I suspect this is just pure vaporware/clickbait unless it's designed to keep AP or the other news agencies happy.
Then again - the R3 seems wildly overpriced for what it delivers unless you really like the eyeball focusing thing. :D

Back