Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
A couple of contradicting rumors on the A9III if I'm reading this correctly. Source 1 and Source 3:
Source 1:

There is a chance A9iii keeps using same imx310.
Not even Bionz XR can use full potential of this sensor.
310 is extremely overpowered, many functions are blocked on A9/9ii because heat and lack of power to use.
Source 3:

Exmor imx710
Full frame : 2 ms
Apsc mode : 1.3ms
Imx310 = a9
Imx410 = a7iii (not exclusive)
Imx510 = 7s3
Imx610 = a1

I imagine 710 is for sony electronics as well.
So will it be the same 310 sensor or a new 710? Very fast readout.

I find it hard to believe Sony would dump a 92MP sensor into an APS-C camera. I'm sure they have one, but it would steal a lot of thunder from the FF lines to do something like that. I tend to believe the new 25MP APS-C is more likely.

Source 2:

Sony semicon has an apsc sensor with 92MP.

A few other rumors in the link:

rumor:
Sony semicon has an apsc sensor with 92MP.
I don't think I would want it. They already have a terrible rolling shutter problem in APSC video with the existing (old) 24mp sensor, they couldn't possibly have a chipset to do a fast enough readout for 92mp. Sorry Tim, I'll keep my video comments to a minimum, but I suspect some of that concern DOES affect still photography too right?

rumor:

I don't think I would want it. They already have a terrible rolling shutter problem in APSC video with the existing (old) 24mp sensor, they couldn't possibly have a chipset to do a fast enough readout for 92mp. Sorry Tim, I'll keep my video comments to a minimum, but I suspect some of that concern DOES affect still photography too right?
Dude, I don't care if you post video stuff. There's no accounting for taste... :p

Seriously, I wouldn't put anything out of reach these days. The old APS-C cameras have single sensors, slow processors, etc. Put a stacked sensor and a new top notch processor and I would think they could process almost any number of MP they want very quicky. Did you see the readout speed listed for the rumored 710? 1.3ms for APS-C.

Dude, I don't care if you post video stuff. There's no accounting for taste... :p
🤣
Seriously, I wouldn't put anything out of reach these days. The old APS-C cameras have single sensors, slow processors, etc. Put a stacked sensor and a new top notch processor and I would think they could process almost any number of MP they want very quicky. Did you see the readout speed listed for the rumored 710? 1.3ms for APS-C.
Hey if Samsung can claim a 200mp sensor in a cellphone, well then 92mp in APSC format isn't impossible.

That 710 "Apsc mode : 1.3ms" I guess would be akin to using crop mode in an A7IV or A7RV right? use a fraction of the sensor, take a fraction of the time for readout?

I have an A9ii (wildlife) and an A7Riv (travel/landscape)
I was thinking, how much I would spend for an A9iii and what features in needs to have to replace my A9ii. (with the A1as a benchmark)
Same as A1 for
Autofocus including birds eye
fps with the difference RAW files
CFexpress dual slots
Higher MP than 24.2MP would be nice but I doubt it, it will be close to 50.1MP
same improved menu system
Not important to me and does not need to be like the A1:
Pixel shift
better video
Faster data transfer
Faster flash sync

Price: The difference between the 2 cameras is around $2.000. The question is, how many of my pointed out features can Sony put in the A9iii for a price that still makes sense to upgrade instead to move up to the A1.

🤣

Hey if Samsung can claim a 200mp sensor in a cellphone, well then 92mp in APSC format isn't impossible.

That 710 "Apsc mode : 1.3ms" I guess would be akin to using crop mode in an A7IV or A7RV right? use a fraction of the sensor, take a fraction of the time for readout?
I honestly don't know what the readout speed of the A7IV is, but if I had to guess, this would be quite a bit faster. The A7IV has a relatively slow readout speed. It was one of the biggest complaints when released.

bumping this thread a bit. A few rumors out there saying a 50mp sensor for A9III. Don't know how that makes sense vs. the A1. Claims stem from the need for Sony to compete with the Nikon Z8, and 24mp isn't going to cut it no matter what other specs look like.

I would still take a 24 mp sensor if it was even cleaner on ISO at higher numbers

if it had faster again AF with added birds, planes and insects (or whatever they have now; do planes have eyes?)

if it had that within one second recorded stills feature (not sure what it is actually called) like on the Z9 and OM cameras

I can live with the menu as it is, doesn't matter as I have gotten used to it - but maybe add more room for items to the "my menu" --- as I tend to use customs buttons and my menu over actually opening the main menu all the time

Viewfinder resolution; more of that please - especially at night!

Sounds like a wish list now... probably forgot loads too

bumping this thread a bit. A few rumors out there saying a 50mp sensor for A9III. Don't know how that makes sense vs. the A1. Claims stem from the need for Sony to compete with the Nikon Z8, and 24mp isn't going to cut it no matter what other specs look like.
Do you have links to the rumor sites?

It is unlikely. If Sony did that, the dominos would fall.
  • The A9III equals the A1 sensor, then:
  • The A1 Sensor would need to be upgraded in the A1ii, which would mean:
  • The brand new A7RV is no longer the king of MP, which is how Sony has marketed the R series since day one.
In any event, Sony probably won't even try to compete from a cost standpoint. The A1 is already $1k more than the Z9, and who knows what the Canon R1 will drop at. The Z8 is priced to bring people to (and back to) Nikon. The Canon R5 is less $ yet at $3400 with 45MP and 12FPS mechanical. The A9ii is already $4500, and if you follow Sony's new release pricing history of $400+/- more than the previous iteration, the A9III is getting close to $5k, $1500 more than the Z8.

Is it starting to feel like we bought Leica?

If not for the excellent lens selection for E mount, Sony would be sucking hind tit.

I guess Nikon and Canon are now aggressively reducing their profit margins in hopes of retrieving market shares and depending on lenses sales for benefit.

Sony has never been perceived as a company of cheap products but high-quality, reliable ones. Question is whether that notion will be enough or even if they will deliver with the next cameras yet to be announced. Their 2023 announcements have been very conservative so far.

I guess Nikon and Canon are now aggressively reducing their profit margins in hopes of retrieving market shares and depending on lenses sales for benefit.

Sony has never been perceived as a company of cheap products but high-quality, reliable ones. Question is whether that notion will be enough or even if they will deliver with the next cameras yet to be announced. Their 2023 announcements have been very conservative so far.
Well, that's not true. Sony was not known for quality equipment in their early cameras, it wasn't until later in the game that they started to produce top notch equipment. The SLT series was 'meh' at best. The only thing that propelled them to the position they're in now (#2) was their foresight to push mirrorless.

Canon is still, and likely always will be, #1 in sales. They're huge, and their customer base has considerably more loyalty than the other players. Sony was number one in mirrorless sales for a few years but the last report I saw had Canon taking that spot over.

Nikon has fallen way behind, and it certainly appears the Z8 is priced to attract users.

Well, that's not true. Sony was not known for quality equipment in their early cameras, it wasn't until later in the game that they started to produce top notch equipment. The SLT series was 'meh' at best. The only thing that propelled them to the position they're in now (#2) was their foresight to push mirrorless.

Canon is still, and likely always will be, #1 in sales. They're huge, and their customer base has considerably more loyalty than the other players. Sony was number one in mirrorless sales for a few years but the last report I saw had Canon taking that spot over.

Nikon has fallen way behind, and it certainly appears the Z8 is priced to attract users.

Sorry, I wasn't only talking about cameras but a general perception about Sony products.

Back