Sony A9III & FE 300 F2.8 GM Announcement Discussion

I still reckon it is, you can't physically fire a shutter at 120fps
It is a global shutter so the theoretical FPS rate well beyond 120FPS.
I don't think they will sell many at all.
They will sell a ton. We are not the primary market.

In July 2020, the Associated Press announced its switch to Sony mirrorless cameras for all its photo and video journalism requirements. Last summer, the PA in the United Kingdom and Ireland announced the same switch, moving exclusively to Sony full-frame cameras and lenses. In November, the USA Today Network and Gannett Co. partnered with Sony. - imaging-resource.com

What's next? 150fps 100mp cameras with a shutter that fires just by you thinking?
That sounds like nice idea. Remember nobody is forcing you to use the max FPS. You can just set the FPS to 1 or 5 or 10 something else and just do that. There are people that will have a use for 120FPS and there will be people that find new uses for it.

Sometimes tech people just push things to the extremes without really having any idea what people will do with those extremes, sometimes people can't find a use and others who new ways of doing things come about, but nobody will know until it happens. I would rather be in a camera system that continually pushes the boundaries than one that only takes baby steps.

More interesting than the 120 FPS is the composite RAW feature.

Composite RAW Shooting captures multiple images (4, 8, 16, or 32, selectable) which can then be merged using Sony's Imaging Edge Desktop™ computer application software to create full-resolution images with very low noise.19 This makes it possible to shoot wildlife at high shutter speeds or portraits in low light, achieving exceptionally high image quality with low noise, even at higher ISO settings. What's more, when shooting at low sensitivity levels, the α9 III can take advantage of camera shake that occurs during handheld shooting and use Composite RAW to create images with reduced false colour and jaggies. (1) Standard (2) Composite RAW.

So can we now shoot at ISO 51,200 and get a nice clean image? :)
That will only work if your wildlife is sitting completely still, or for example, if you nail their feet to a log.

The pro-capture feature is better. It takes a 1 second pre-burst, so when the bird flies away it will have already captured the image you missed.

I'm surprised no one is mentioning the A1 Firmware not due until March. Given that, I think the A9III is their release for the Olympics, and the A1M2 is another year away.

Did anyone watch the video and see the image samples of the 300? Simply breathtaking.

Not on purpose.

Tell me one thing you shoot that needs this kind of speed? Unless you're hooked on hummingbird wings, there isn't much advantage over the A9 II.

Oh, I think I buy every camera on purpose, and buy features I don't use to get the ones I do use. I own two cameras capable of shooting 8k video. I have no expectation of ever shooting 8k video. I have owned at least three cameras with pixel shift multi-shot, and apart from one brief experiment, I've never used it, and I don't expect to. Lots more examples.

Would I use all the features of an A9 III? Absolutely not. But there are things I see as useful to me.

The global shutter means that I get a camera which is silent shooting all the time (which I do on the A1), but shows no dark bars under PWM lighting - I've tried to adjust shutter speeds on the A1 to shoot in the nocturnal animals enclosures without dark bars, and it's difficult; I have lots of shots with dark bars. The A9 III can do that automatically. I think people shooting at concerts will appreciate that feature, too. I know someone who shoots for an opera company, and he needs silent shooting and in finding dark bars an increasing problem with stage lighting.

I can picture people using the 120fps when shooting high diving - that's an Olympic sport where catching the diver doing twists and turns makes for better shots. Gymnastics, too - capturing the whole of a tumbling run so you can see each piece.

I will definitely be using the pre-capture. Probably not at full speed (well, maybe during early play-time!), but at some speed.

Did anyone watch the video and see the image samples of the 300? Simply breathtaking.

It looks like an extremely sharp lens, even with the 2x + heavy crop. Mark Galer's review is very positive.

Some of the shots in the Sony promo videos are compelling - loved the "stroboscopic" sequences.

Mark was conspicuous in his absence at the reveal. That other guy they had on there was pretty impressive.

Might have to watch it soon.

I think this is the first time I've seen a piece of gear come out and not have all the full reviews from the YouTube guys on the moment of announcement.

well sony sets the bar again 24mp is not for me though or 120fps ,not as though you have to use 120fps they have placed a handy button for this which shoots 120fps when required ,i would love it to be on my A1 but just 30fps when needed turbo mode or something and just use 10 for everything inbetween ,in fact my a1 at current is being retired by my a7r5 i do not need high frame rates,the biggest or one off is no speed sync needed for flash as well as zero banding.jury will be out on iq though will it take a dip like the stacked sensors ,the 300mm f2.8 is on my wish list can not believe so light 420mm f4 and 600mm f5.6 will replace my 200-600mm although will hold out for comparisons but 1.4kg is so nice ,a built in t/c would of been welcome but the price is better than expected ,well the a1 was unispiring for firmware ,on another note if sony can make a 300mm f2.8 so light i am sure a 600mm 5.6 prime would be feasable also ,how many users would jump on a 600mm f5.6 prime at less than 1.5kg many i am sure.

More interesting than the 120 FPS is the composite RAW feature.

Composite RAW Shooting captures multiple images (4, 8, 16, or 32, selectable) which can then be merged using Sony's Imaging Edge Desktop™ computer application software to create full-resolution images with very low noise.19 This makes it possible to shoot wildlife at high shutter speeds or portraits in low light, achieving exceptionally high image quality with low noise, even at higher ISO settings. What's more, when shooting at low sensitivity levels, the α9 III can take advantage of camera shake that occurs during handheld shooting and use Composite RAW to create images with reduced false colour and jaggies. (1) Standard (2) Composite RAW.

So can we now shoot at ISO 51,200 and get a nice clean image? :)
we will see ,a clean image maybe possible sort of how smart phones get around the small sensor thing with compiling images ,shame it is not in camera and i think the iq will take a hit also the iso range starts iso 250 so iam thinking dr will not be great,

I think I pay for features I don't use on every camera I buy
I don't shoot video. Or bursts. But I guess I'm paying quite a lot for my camera's capabilities under those headings.
Tell me one thing you shoot that needs this kind of speed?
And how about 1/80,000th? I really thought that that was a typo when I first saw it!

edit: typo in the word typo :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have trouble enough managing to sort through files where I've shot 30 fps, and since I already seem to have a heavy finger on the shutter release at such times, I shudder to think how quickly I'd run through a memory card! AIEEEEEE!!!!! I can see, though, how this new camera and its speediness would be considered to be really valuable for many sports shooters, especially at major events such as the Olympics, where that one perfect image, nailed exactly (or almost) as it was happening, could be significant..... But who has to sort through the lot to find that image?

Thankfully I don't need that kind of speed for the (primarily) water birds I shoot. Also, I like that on the A1 I have more megapixels and subsequently more flexibility when it comes to cropping, as it does seem to be necessary, more often than not.

So I read the info about the new A9 III and said to myself, "very nice, but not something I really need or want....."

However, um, yes, that 300mm f/2.8 is something I am drooling over, and already trying to figure out the best strategy for getting one of these beauties. Having had a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 in the past, I know how versatile this particular type of lens can be, with and without a TC. The weight was something I was waiting to hear about, as while I can walk around my neighborhood with my 100-400mm, no problem, the 200-600mm definitely poses difficulties for me. This new lens would work nicely since it is lighter than the one lens and only slightly heavier than the other. OK, the weight issue is out of the way....

Then we come to the financial piece of this, and, yeah, being able to justify such an expense for an old lady hobbyist who just loves to photograph the local wildlife......ouch! I had guessed that the price tag would be fairly high, but had underestimated it by about $1000 or so...... Back to the drawing board. In the meantime I look forward to seeing and reading reviews once this gorgeous lens is actually in the hands of other photographers.

Might have to watch it soon.

I think this is the first time I've seen a piece of gear come out and not have all the full reviews from the YouTube guys on the moment of announcement.
Sony did a really good job of keeping this under wraps.

Base ISO 250.

Not a dual gain sensor.

:unsure:

Last comments from me (for now, at least)

I just pre-ordered the 300 GM. I was hovering on whether to do so - the big question was would it be heavier than the 200-600 (2.1kg)? That weight can be a bit much for me. The existing 300mm f/2.8 lenses are heavier - 2.9kg and 2.4kg. I was hoping 2.0kg. So the news that it's under 1.5kg was a huge relief (it weighs about the same as some of the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses I've used in the past).

I've been using the 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II a lot, and wanting a bit more length (not a huge amount, but some). The lens is what I wanted. That function ring can be set to switch between FF and APS-C, so I'll have 300 / 450 on tap, and I already own the teleconverters. Mark Galer made it clear that the TCs work well on this lens, and that cropping into the image produces good results. It also appears to be sharp all the way across the frame, so off-centre crops are good.

I've pre-ordered it not knowing the exact price, but expecting it to be a bit under A$10k, just as the A1 was (and the A1 was US$6500, not 6000)

Still pondering the A9III. I love the whole idea of the tech, but I dunno if I should spend that much on this one. It's sorely tempting, so don't be too surprised if I yield to the temptation - after all, I have until February or March to save up for it :p

I think the reason the A9III is so filled with features was because Sony decided to go for the global shutter, which made the sensor a really expensive new component, so they decided to make that higher price more palatable by giving you a whole slew of new features which global shutter enabled - the full width video, the no-dark-bars under LED light, the flash sync at any speed (even if it's "only" 1/500 with my studio strobes, that's a big jump up from my current 1/200 on A1, 1/250 on A7RV), the ultra-fast 1/80000 shutter speed, oh, and yeah, the insane frame rate... I think the way it boils down is that you have to bite off the global shutter sensor part, but all the extras follow.

Will they make a cheaper global shutter sensor one day? Of course they will. Don't hold your breath, though, this one will be the only one for a while.

- - - - -

One final observation: I just realised that the A1, the A7RV. and now the A9III all have the same EVF - the one with three times the number of dots in the Z9 and Z8... I really like that EVF on the A1 and the A7RV. It won't be the final thing that makes me order the A9III, but it does add to the temptation :cool:

I have owned at least three cameras with pixel shift multi-shot, and apart from one brief experiment, I've never used it, and I don't expect to.
I was using this feature as a poor man's interval shooting before they added that actual feature.

Didn't the same happened with the A1? With the A1 nobody had details prior to the release event.

And how about 1/80,000th? I really thought that that was a typos when I first saw it!
Lee Morris from fStoppers thinks this could be used for some really interesting flash photography as it would basically allow you to remove all environmental light and just capture the strobe light.

One final observation: I just realised that the A1, the A7RV. and now the A9III all have the same EVF - the one with three times the number of dots in the Z9 and Z8... I really like that EVF on the A1 and the A7RV. It won't be the final thing that makes me order the A9III, but it does add to the temptation
From what I've seen it is actually better because you can use the higher refresh rate without any feature loss.

I'm surprised no one is mentioning the A1 Firmware not due until March. Given that, I think the A9III is their release for the Olympics, and the A1M2 is another year away.
I had slight hope that the firmware updated would be released but honestly didn't think it would be as it feels too soon to their release that said they have screwed up with firmware updates. If they would have less than a full quarter for testing I would be really worried.

Sony did a really good job of keeping this under wraps.
They should have leaked it they would have sold a shed load of AI bodies if we had known the specs of the in the mainly pointless a9iii they revealed

Last edited:
They should have leaked it they would have sold a shed load of AI bodies if we had known the specs of the in the main pointless a9iii they revealed

I was shocked when I woke up to read that it was still 24mp. 36mp at 80fps would have been a far more attractive camera to the vast majority. Outright speed was their main priority obviously.

I think the most exciting part of the announcement of the A9III is more so what it means for the upcoming bodies from Sony.

I was shocked when I woke up to read that it was still 24mp. 36mp at 80fps would have been a far more attractive camera to the vast majority. Outright speed was their main priority obviously.

I think the most exciting part of the announcement of the A9III is more so what it means for the upcoming bodies from Sony.
yep strange direction for sure with this a9iii

Will they make a cheaper global shutter sensor one day? Of course they will. Don't hold your breath, though, this one will be the only one for a while.
Wanna' bet? A M-4/3 global shutter sensor was introduced several months ago. The current belief is that the GH7 will have one.

Now, if you want to qualify that with the only 'full frame' global shutter camera for a while, I can agree.

Bet the delay till spring for the A1 firmware is to try and get people to buy the A9iii. I for one will be waiting for the firmware.
I think the delay in the A1m2 is for that reason. Sony doesn't want to release two mega cameras at the same time.

It does seem odd they can't pull of a firmware update sooner, especially since the A1 and A7S III have been around forever. The good news is that these are more likely to add/upgrade features rather than just fix bugs, like an update for a newer camera.

I think the delay in the A1m2 is for that reason. Sony doesn't want to release two mega cameras at the same time.

It does seem odd they can't pull of a firmware update sooner, especially since the A1 and A7S III have been around forever. The good news is that these are more likely to add/upgrade features rather than just fix bugs, like an update for a newer camera.
The A9iii having a global shutter probably means that the A1ii will have one as well so I can see that a delay will be used to see what issues the A9iii has in the wild and correct before releasing the A1ii. But also yeah two cameras like this in close proximity does impact sales.

I don't think Sony has been working on the firmware update that long. Given that they will most likely add features that for other cameras are done on a different processor means that it isn't as easy a port. We have all hear the stories about what can happen when a firmware update goes bad.

Bet the delay till spring for the A1 firmware is to try and get people to buy the A9iii. I for one will be waiting for the firmware.
yes but the a9 iii is released in spring summer time also so those who can afford and want a camera now get the a1 or one of a7 series ,still every pro sports shooter will have one these cameras ear marked ,they can not live with second best ,and this is way better than the competition by some margin,hey jared can you hear that ,thats the sound of the sony money truck backing up.

The A9iii having a global shutter probably means that the A1ii will have one as well so I can see that a delay will be used to see what issues the A9iii has in the wild and correct before releasing the A1ii. But also yeah two cameras like this in close proximity does impact sales.

I don't think Sony has been working on the firmware update that long. Given that they will most likely add features that for other cameras are done on a different processor means that it isn't as easy a port. We have all hear the stories about what can happen when a firmware update goes bad.
If they put a GS in the A1m2 it'll be an $8,000 camera. I am thinking they'll give it a lot of improvements ala A7R V, maybe add a few neato things from the A9III, but leave the A9III completely unique in the lineup with regard to the GS, flash sync, and speed.

Back