Sony A9 III A9III - simple first image

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
Here is a full size JPEG (6000x4000) processed from RAW from the A9 III. This is the first pre-ordered camera where I got Adobe Camera RAW support before the pre-ordered camera arrived. I like that a lot!

Shot at Werribee Zoo through glass.
Lens = 135mm GM wide open at f/1.8 - the depth of the field is shallow enough that the log in front of the lion is blurred. Focus is on the lion's left eye.
ISO was at base (ISO 250).
Exposure was 1/5000 under about 50-60% cloud cover.

I don't know if you get to 100%, but if you can, look at the detail in his mane.

The autofocus is extremely quick and certain. The camera is silent (I turned off the "I took a photo" noise - I like silent cameras!).

I think this camera will try to persuade me to buy a 600 GM... I will try to pacify it with the 300GM to start with :)

A93_lion.jpg

Congrats on the new camera Tony! Is this your new pet too? :) Any images uploaded here larger than 2048px will be reduced to 2048px at the longest edge. So best to crop in and post the separate crops as the detail will get lost otherwise. Or share a link to the image hosted somewhere else like flickr.

Did you notice the improvement to the EVF? From what I understand, the EVF does not degrade when you press the shutter.

Congrats on the new camera Tony! Is this your new pet too? :) Any images uploaded here larger than 2048px will be reduced to 2048px at the longest edge. So best to crop in and post the separate crops as the detail will get lost otherwise. Or share a link to the image hosted somewhere else like flickr.
Ah - thank you for the explanation. I will make a crop and post it.

This doesn't make any sense. Why would this camera make you think 600/4 more than the A1 would?

Because compared to the A1, I can do less cropping on the images. Even more so on the A7RV.

It is going to be fun using the camera with the 300 next week.

Did you notice the improvement to the EVF? From what I understand, the EVF does not degrade when you press the shutter.
I now own three cameras with the 9.4Mdot EVF, and the fact that I can run this one at 120Hz without a crop is good.

I don't track other manufacturers closely, but I gather the Z9 (and Z8) only use a 3.something Mdot EVF. Is Sony the only one using this EVF?

I now own three cameras with the 9.4Mdot EVF, and the fact that I can run this one at 120Hz without a crop is good.

I don't track other manufacturers closely, but I gather the Z9 (and Z8) only use a 3.something Mdot EVF. Is Sony the only one using this EVF?
Congrats on the new tech - I bet it’s fun. I believe the GFX 100II uses that EVF resolution as well.

Because compared to the A1, I can do less cropping on the images. Even more so on the A7RV.
Ok, but doesn't using the 600 on the A1 offer the best of both worlds, speed and the ability to crop?

I have yet to see you post any photo, ever, that would require the A9III. I don't know what genre you typically shoot because it seems you only post test shots made at a zoo. I'd like to see some of the other stuff you shoot, something that puts the A9III to the test.

Another from the same zoo, two days later, but this time a shot of Asali the lioness after she stole Sheru's breakfast :) (not the first time she has done that)

Lions are not vegan (their metabolism doesn't work that way). They were given chickens for breakfast today (no, not live!).

This image was shot at f/2.8 (wide open) on the 70-200 GM II. Shot at 1/2500 ISO 250. The lossless compressed file was 29.15MB. (I have stopped shooting RAW+JPEG)

I was tracking her from where she grabbed the chicken and stalked away. I was shooting at 30fps, so I got a lot more than 1.6s of burst :)

First image is the full frame, and the second is the 100% crop.

LionsAreNotVegan2k.jpg

LionsAreNotVeganCrop.jpg

It is going to be fun using the camera with the 300 next week.
That literally makes no sense at all! Nice image

That literally makes no sense at all! Nice image

That would be because I didn't phrase it particularly well.

What I meant was that the lower pixel count means that there is less scope for cropping. The A1 has more than twice as many pixels. The A7RV has two and a half times as many. That means I can crop those images much more heavily, and still leave a good size image. Without that scope to crop, I need to get my subject larger in the image in the first place. Hence the desire for longer glass, and ideally the best long glass.

Does that make a smidgeon more sense?

That would be because I didn't phrase it particularly well.

What I meant was that the lower pixel count means that there is less scope for cropping. The A1 has more than twice as many pixels. The A7RV has two and a half times as many. That means I can crop those images much more heavily, and still leave a good size image. Without that scope to crop, I need to get my subject larger in the image in the first place. Hence the desire for longer glass, and ideally the best long glass.

Does that make a smidgeon more sense?
It is clear, but makes no sense.

If someone DIDN'T already have a 50 or 60 MP camera and wanted a long fast prime for more reach, it would make perfect sense. You already have all bases covered.

It comes down to getting one because you want one. Any of us can understand that.

Back