Affiliate Links
Check Lens Price At: B&H Photo

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
OK, I took the 300GM out on a bouncy jolting bus through the savannah area of Werribee Zoo. First observation - the IBIS + OSS is genuinely effective at neutralising the bumps and jolts.

This is with the 2x teleconverter - you know, the one that people slam as decreasing image quality? There was mention in the 300GM announcement about it waking well with the teleeconverters. I had to try it, right?

This was shot at f/5.6 (wide open with the TC) ISO 800 1/2000 at an effective focal length of 600mm.

This combination is just a tad lighter than the 600 GM (1.67kg instead of 3kg). Also lighter than the 200-600 G (2.1kg), and f/5.6 instead of f/6.3, but lacking the zoom. I'm getting old enough that I'm struggling a bit with the 200-600 (weight and length) - no such problems with this.

Full frame as shot. No denoise. no output sharpening.

Rhinos_fullframe.jpg

And now details at 100%

Rhino_detail.jpg

Note that they do not have a skin condition - they were in a mud wallow earlier, and clearly enjoyed it. These are Southern "White" rhinos.

This was pretty much an accident. I saw a small bird, and was wondering if I could identify (I haven't).

Shot wide open f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/2000 on the 300 + 2x - no de-noise

SmallBird.jpg

Not a bad shot - bird eye AF definitely working.

But that is a 100% crop from this:
SmallBirdFull.jpg

Last edited:
One more -this one a bit more exotic than a house sparrow :-D

This is an eland

Eland.jpg

image slightly cropped on the right.

Also wide open f/5.6, ISO 640, 1/2000 on the 300 + 2x

"I'm getting old enough that I'm struggling a bit with the 200-600 (weight and length) - no such problems with this."

Off topic here, but, I purchased a monogimbal and monopod and absolutely love shooting the longer lens with this set-up. Right now, I think Wimbley and Leophoto are the only ones selling a monogimbal. My shoulders are shot and this has saved me.

Would be very interested to see this combination tested directly against the 200-600mm.

Would be very interested to see this combination tested directly against the 200-600mm.
I would bet (don't have the 300) it will be killer sharp at 300, sharper at 420 (1.4TC) and maybe even or a little less sharp at 600 f5.6. Keeping in mind f5.6 at 600 vs f6.3 for the 200-600. So faster shutter speeds, lower ISO, etc. Grounding my comments in having used a Canon 300 in the past.

I would bet (don't have the 300) it will be killer sharp at 300, sharper at 420 (1.4TC) and maybe even or a little less sharp at 600 f5.6. Keeping in mind f5.6 at 600 vs f6.3 for the 200-600. So faster shutter speeds, lower ISO, etc. Grounding my comments in having used a Canon 300 in the past.
That would be my intuition, too. And now with the release of the Sigma 500mm f5.6, at a fraction of the cost and weight of more direct Sony competition and with really glowing reviews, my thoughts are now drifting in a rather different direction. (I don't shoot sports, so the frame rate is perhaps less of a consideration for me.) Cheers.

I’ve started a thread for 300 + 2x following the pattern of another thread. Spoiler alert - I’m happy!

UPDATE; Would have been smart to check which thread I am in first, wouldn’t it? o_O:sleep::unsure:;)

Last edited:
Back