Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
I questioned whether this moth was worth posting, but it was easy pickins' while sitting on my kitchen window sill. The closest I could come for specie ID was Clover Looper, but not sure that's correct.

Interestingly, I noticed the tiny fluffy micro hairs on the trailing edge of this moth’s wings. It reminded me of the wing structure of the stealthy barn owl that flies silently toward its prey. These velvety soft hairs break up the airflow into smaller airflows and the sound is absorbed by the micro fluffy down feather hairs. These serrated micro-fluffy hairlets comb thru the wing’s airflow to dampen the turbulence causing the noise common to airflow vortices — thus enabling the owl's stealthy attacks on their prey. But why would this small moth need stealth (if in fact these trailing wing hairs are designed to dampen sound)?

DSC09441-D-Clover Looper sign.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 100

Cool observation! Maybe instead of stealth for hunting, its stealth for evasion of predators like bats and birds? That plus their camouflage-like coloring would give them a fighting chance.

The hairs on Moths and Butterflies, including those that you see on the wing fringes, are, much like human body hair, for regulating temperature.
Nice Moth that.

Back