Any tips for a decent priced wide angle full frame lens?

Mr. Zukini

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mr. Zukini
Does anyone have any tips for a wide angle lens for a full frame camera (Sony A7IV)? I will mostly shoot indoors. Business videos for small entrepreneurs. So I expect lots of small buildings/offices/workspaces. My current 28/70 kit lens won't do the trick, I already noticed. I am not that rich, so am looking for a decent low priced option. Currently thinking about the Sony SEL-1635Z Zeiss, but it still costs a fortune. https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B00NVA7J1Y?th=1&geniuslink=true

All help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Mr. Zukini

I can tell you a lens to AVOID, because it will come up in your search: Tamron 24mm f2.8 Di III OSD.
It is inexpensive, and takes decent photos, but it is slow to focus and when using for video the focus motor is noisy. I do not know if the lens's 20mm sibling has the same problem, but I would say do not buy either.

I have the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD which is a nice little cheap lens ($800 usd). The sharpness drops some as you get to the corners but unless someone is actively checking the super fine details nobody would notice.

I have the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD which is a nice little cheap lens ($800 usd). The sharpness drops some as you get to the corners but unless someone is actively checking the super fine details nobody would notice.
That "RXD" focusing motor is definitely better than the old "OSD" technology. I have it in my 17-70 (APSC) lens and its great. Fast and silent.

after struggling with 35mm on mt tamron 35-150mm, i recently bought tamron 20-40 F2.8 and went back to the client to retake some shots.
i find it adequate at 20mm wide. i have posted below the examples at 35mm and the at 20mm.
DSC06641-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 35-150mm F2.0-F2.8 A058
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/3 sec
  • ISO 100

then when i went back with my 20-40mm and retook the photo i was able to include the entire fridge and even showcase a laundry room.
DSC06729-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 20-40mm F2.8 A062
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 250

the current challenge with my 20-40mm is that i cant seem to find a lens profile correction for light room.

Another vote for the Tamron 17-28/2.8. Amazing little lens. If you need faster/less $, I just bought a Samyang 24/1.8. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow. Will report back, but reviews show it to be an excellent choice.

I use the Sigma 14-24 f2.8 which i find to be of great build quality and is
equal if not better than its Sony equivalent in terms of performance....

You may find it limited however at 24mm and also out of your budget at
around $1200, but if you can afford it it is a very worthy of consideration.

You would definitely want to have the option of dropping to f2.8 even with the A7IV being amazing in low light. The 16-35mm Zeiss f4 is more suited as an outdoor photography type option.

The Tamron 17-28mm was already a legend when Sigma released their 16-28mm Contemporary lens, so I think this is why the Sigma hardly ever gets a mention in this conversation.

I think either one of those is definitely the go to for an f2.8 wide angle zoom lens with a budget in mind.

I'd say the build quality of the Sigma is more impressive, but with saying that I never did and still have never had any issues with that style of Tamron lens in regards to external deterioration in any way. Look after them and they will both serve you well.

Flip a coin... ✅

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing guys! Really appreciate everyone giving their input and tips. Im gonna look into the mentioned lenses tomorrow!
@Maskless Crusader @Deleted Member 5003 @Brownie @MathuStans @iamdlewis @FowlersFreeTime

Today I also figured out that I could consider aps-c lenses, which brought me to the Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D. It obviously has some downsides as well.
Just remember that you’ll be getting <15MP images as soon as you mount the lens. The camera automatically recognizes APS-C lenses and goes into crop mode.

Today I also figured out that I could consider aps-c lenses, which brought me to the Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D. It obviously has some downsides as well.
If you're thinking to use APSC lenses, consider Sony's 10-20mm f4. While the original Sony 10-18mm might be cheaper on the pre-owned market, the updated 10-20 has a nice compact design and an internal focus, so if you use a gimbal you will not need to rebalance it if you zoom in or out. The only caveat is that the aperture may not be as bright as you would want. This is the closest thing we APSC guys have to the Sony FE PZ 16-35mm f/4 G Lens. For a few hundred dollars more though, I would recommend getting the full frame lens instead.

Tamron 20 and 24mm if that's wide enough. They are epic and are less than £200

Does anyone have any tips for a wide angle lens for a full frame camera (Sony A7IV)? I will mostly shoot indoors. Business videos for small entrepreneurs. So I expect lots of small buildings/offices/workspaces. My current 28/70 kit lens won't do the trick, I already noticed. I am not that rich, so am looking for a decent low priced option. Currently thinking about the Sony SEL-1635Z Zeiss, but it still costs a fortune. https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B00NVA7J1Y?th=1&geniuslink=true

All help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Mr. Zukini
I’ve enjoy using Sony 20mm F1.8 FE on A7iv for most interior architecture. I know I need wider for enveloping the frizz of baroque interiors so I’m also using 14mm F1.4.

Hard to beat the 20mm because it’s kind to vertical lines with plenty of aperture and sharp as a tack.

I have a Sony asp-c 16mm lens but it’s shite.

The 20mm G lens looks great, except I know I won't use it all that much (so I got the 28/2, as it is cheap and I just step backwards). Luckily I do not need to do this type of shooting.

Though if I would go a 20mm, I might even go manual actually as AF would be less important to me

Tamron 20 and 24mm if that's wide enough. They are epic and are less than £200
For stills, I agree.
For video, I kind of disagree for reasons mentioned above. However, if Mr. Zukini is using lav or boom mics, the noisy autofocus won't be a problem. Also if the video being recorded doesn't have fast motion, then my slow auto-focusing concerns might be null as well.

I use the Sigma 14-24 f2.8 which i find to be of great build quality and is
equal if not better than its Sony equivalent in terms of performance....

You may find it limited however at 24mm and also out of your budget at
around $1200, but if you can afford it it is a very worthy of consideration.
I have been thinking about this lens. If i choose to shoot wider than 20mm this will be my go to lens.

For stills, I agree.
For video, I kind of disagree for reasons mentioned above. However, if Mr. Zukini is using lav or boom mics, the noisy autofocus won't be a problem. Also if the video being recorded doesn't have fast motion, then my slow auto-focusing concerns might be null as well.
The AF focussing speed isn't an issue with those, it's every bit as quick as Sony lenses IMO. Noise wise, I never notice.

The Sony 20mm G lens is Pin sharp and my most used lens.

Agree Fully Jeff for the niche into which this lens fits...performance is unmatched (y)

Again, the Tamron 17-28/2.8. Why limit yourself to a single FL when you can get top drawer quality with a little flexibility for low dollars?

I did these for one of our clients who had a report due and forgot to schedule their regular photographer. All shots were made handheld with ambient room lighting.

DSC00496 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC00506 by telecast, on Flickr

This is a Water Treatment Plant control room. Our marketing team got their hands on it and it's been used now for dozens of client proposals.

DSC00490 by telecast, on Flickr

Hi all,

Ive found a used Tamron 20mm lens, which I bought for 200 euro's. Very much looking forward to testing it.
Thanks to all of you and your advice. ill share some content as soon as I have some. Cheers!

I just picked up a 20mm f 2.0 Tokina in MF as it was cheaper and very sharp, it is compared with the Sony 20mm f 1.8. It has the contacts so it will work well in jpg and the focus will zoom in as soon as you turn the focus ring. It's well worth a look

Back