Anyone having or had a9ii operational issues and have knowledge of shutter assembly and circuit board replacement costs..?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 5003
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 5003

Appreciate any feedback on sony A9ii failures...I have a 3year old unit which has recently given up on me and am advised by sony the shutter assembly and circuit board require replacement.......I have not damaged the camera in any way and it broke down during a recent shooting session.

The shutter assembly is a normal repair, but typically costs hundreds of dollars.

If the circuit board they are talking about is the main board, that is a rather expensive repair.

Have they given you a quote on the repair?

Is there any chance it got salt water on it? Shooting at the beach, perhaps? I've seen stories of salt water damage wreaking insidious havoc days or weeks after exposure, and taking out multiple subsystems in the camera. It's one of the reasons that many repair shops refuse to repair salt water damage - they repair the parts that are broken, and a little while later another part fails.

Thanks for your response Tony.

Sony service center have quoted $1000 to replace the shutter assembly and main circuit board. The shutter has only 1700 actuations as I use the electronic shutter mostly.

I don't have any issues such as salt water ingress etc and no significant bumps or knocks....it just gave up on me in the middle of a shoot and the
Shutter started sticking and I lost the monitor image.

I have an alpha 1 and if this hadn't happened I was looking to sell my A9ii and take another alpha 1.

Do you have any info on comparative repair costs as above...?

Salt water gets in without submerging the A9ii?

Well, I’m never downgrading my A7iv to that model.

The shutter-if you don’t use the mechanical shutter, it’s logical that it freezes up over time.

Just to complete the matter my shu

The shutter-if you don’t use the mechanical shutter, it’s logical that it freezes up over time.

Hi Gary fair comment on the shutter, but generally I take good care of my cameras.

Anyways if I have to pay so be it ...its a bummer but the alternative is to run without a back up camera other than my Nikon D850.

In any event if I get it repaired I will sell it and get another A1 and/or wait the rumoured A1 upgrade and/or release of an A1 successor
which seems unlikely at this time.

Appreciate any feedback on sony A9ii failures...I have a 3year old unit which has recently given up on me and am advised by sony the shutter assembly and circuit board require replacement.......I have not damaged the camera in any way and it broke down during a recent shooting session.
Hey Ray,
I've got nothing constructive to add, but I'm sorry this happened to you.

Best of luck with the repair.

Hi Gary fair comment on the shutter, but generally I take good care of my cameras.

Anyways if I have to pay so be it ...its a bummer but the alternative is to run without a back up camera other than my Nikon D850.

In any event if I get it repaired I will sell it and get another A1 and/or wait the rumoured A1 upgrade and/or release of an A1 successor
which seems unlikely at this time.
That’s a coincidence! A second hand Nikon 850 set me up for my recent upgrade to Sony and the process reinvigorated my interests. I didn’t buy it, but I still flirt with the idea. I’ve never owned a Nikon but that’s the brand “everybody” wanted back in the ‘80s - I just couldn’t afford it, then.

Keep us updated please Ray. sh*t happens but it's still annoying when it does. I gather that you're a lot like myself in regards to being quite (very) obsessive compulsive with looking after your kit, so I'd imagine that it leaves you with a few questions. 😐

Keep us updated please Ray. sh*t happens but it's still annoying when it does. I gather that you're a lot like myself in regards to being quite (very) obsessive compulsive with looking after your kit, so I'd imagine that it leaves you with a few questions. 😐
Yes I have tried to go back to Sony and argue basic design component failure in the absence of any physical damage to the camera but they are not having it........looks like I will just have to bite the proverbial bullet.......:(

I haven't been in this thing for long, and I don't think it will ever leave now. But each step along the way. A body for $1,000, then $2,000, then $3,000, now $5,000. At $1,000 considering smart phones I was questioning my sanity, so at this point I'd like to hope I'm getting value in some way, and longevity would be one of the key points.

Please let me explain - I was asking if that might be an explanation for a mysterious failure affecting multiple components. I recently looked at an article in LensRentals about the impact of salt water on cameras - they showed one damaged beyond repair, and it was apparently put down on a puddle of sea water - not immersed. Your A7IV could be equally susceptible. After reading that article I told myself not to put my camera down anywhere while at the beach!

Ray confirmed that wasn’t the cause.

Yes I have tried to go back to Sony and argue basic design component failure in the absence of any physical damage to the camera but they are not having it........looks like I will just have to bite the proverbial bullet.......:(
Sorry to hear that.

If my shutter had only 1700 actuations, I’d be disappointed to see it fail, too.

Please let me explain - I was asking if that might be an explanation for a mysterious failure affecting multiple components. I recently looked at an article in LensRentals about the impact of salt water on cameras - they showed one damaged beyond repair, and it was apparently put down on a puddle of sea water - not immersed. Your A7IV could be equally susceptible. After reading that article I told myself not to put my camera down anywhere while at the beach!

Ray confirmed that wasn’t the cause.
Yeah, that would explain it. A rental. My cameras never leave my neck or wrist strap until they’re safely packed in my air tight tool box. 😅

image.jpg

I haven't been in this thing for long, and I don't think it will ever leave now. But each step along the way. A body for $1,000, then $2,000, then $3,000, now $5,000. At $1,000 considering smart phones I was questioning my sanity, so at this point I'd like to hope I'm getting value in some way, and longevity would be one of the key points.
My first SLR is still in excellent working order. Pentax ME Super. With a lovely Asahi glass Pentax-M SMC 50mm F1.7. The leather case is cracked and dry but serviceable.

Every camera I’ve ever bought sits on a shelf, all technically obsolete, bar one. I expect my Sony A7iv to last as long. If that’s not the case, I would be extremely annoyed.

Back