Astro Focusing Technique

Mark0519

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
In my area of the world, it looks like a small window in a couple of weeks to have another go at the Milky Way....I have read on line about bright monitoring to help focus stars. Does anyone use this? If not, what’s your favorite Astro focusing technique?
Mark

I try to find the brightest star that I can. I use the focus zoom feature on the camera to zoom in on the star. I then MF until that star is the smallest pin point that I can get it. You should then be focused to infinity. If you want, then you can mark the lens where infinity is for the next time you go out or you can put a piece of tape on the focus ring to make sure you dont bump it and loose focus.

Thanks JC, I’d been wondering the same after trying (with limited success) to photograph comet neowise. I’ll use that technique in future.

I use MF with peaking and focus magnifier. I focus on the light point or man made lamp that is the farthest away. That functions well.. I do single exposure and I want the foreground to be in focus also.

Back