Followers
Following
Name
Andrew
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Berkshire
Which of the two would you recommend (I am aware of the GM version).

Sony FE 20mm F/1.8
Sony FE 16-35mm F/4 ZA OSS

If you only had the choice between these two, I think its safe to say the f1.8 lens would be the better choice.
You can stop down an f1.8 lens to f8 for Landscape, but you cannot open the f4 lens to f1.8 for Astro.

On the topic of Astrophotography, I'm no expert, but I've tried photographing the night sky a total of 3 times:

- First time was for the comet last year with a kit lens and moderate light pollution:
DSC03875-5x7_v2.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 15 sec
  • ISO 2000

- Second time was for just for a laugh at f4 in an area with little light pollution (no moon either):
DSC05729.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 10-18mm F4 OSS
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 25 sec
  • ISO 3200

- Third time was to see what could be done at f2.8 on a coastal town with a little light pollution and no moon:
DSC07777(1).jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 25 sec
  • ISO 3200

I know these are APSC examples, but just trying to give you some idea of how aperture and light pollution might affect your shots.

Wow those are great!

Wow those are great!
You have the better camera mate, yours will be great (y)
Just try to find the darkest skies around and try many different things until you're happy with the results or at least your progress.
I think you might need to find some darker skies than Berkshire though, Reading looks to have a lot of light pollution. This site helps: https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

Yeah this place is pretty lit up, might try Goring once I pick a lens

Which of the two would you recommend (I am aware of the GM version).

Sony FE 20mm F/1.8
Sony FE 16-35mm F/4 ZA OSS
I have not tried Astro as yet but I own the FE 20mm and it is my most used lens. It is excellent!

So new toy on its way, Samyang 24mm f1.8, it’s cheap and cheerful and should arrive in a few days, I choose this to see if Astrophotography is something I would enjoy and if so invest in better lens if this isn’t up to par.

I have seen reviews saying this is a good lens, so wish me luck.

Congratulations on the new lens. I saw some good reviews on the Samyang 24mm f1.8. Let us know how you like it.

Back