Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Birds Australasian Darter

Ralph

Veteran Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Got these on the 27-4-24 I think and went for a walk along the river and seen a few of these which are at times they can be known as Snake necks.
I like it when they have their wings open and are displaying their feathers but the truth is they are drying them out after a swim.
Lock 11 Track (454).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021
  • 299.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 500
Lock 11 Track (475).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021
  • 299.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 500

Thank you for that - I thought those were cormorants - I looked them up, and apparently my mistake is fairly common (but now I know that the distinctive feature is the beak).

Nice shots. Looks a lot like the African Darters and with similar feather drying behaviour after swimming, making for great photo opportunities. Also called snakebirds here, due to them swimming with only the long, slender neck above water.

Nice shots Ralph

Thank you for that - I thought those were cormorants - I looked them up, and apparently my mistake is fairly common (but now I know that the distinctive feature is the beak).
You are not the only one to have though the same way. I am actually really lucky as our old Bird Club leaded sort of took me under his wing and really taught me a real lot and to the fact living close to Australia's largest river we have a lot so I did learn the difference quite quick.
Nice shots. Looks a lot like the African Darters and with similar feather drying behaviour after swimming, making for great photo opportunities. Also called snakebirds here, due to them swimming with only the long, slender neck above water.
Thank and you will find if you look long enough you will see birds we have here look so close to those from other parts of the world like Herons And many other water birds.
Nice shots Ralph
The you so my Uncle. I have never known a real Uncle in my entire life so this make you the closest to an Uncle I have.:)

New in Marketplace

Back